Thread: Politician Turned Actor Turned Politician Fred Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Politician Turned Actor Turned Politician Fred Thompson 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Former GOP presidential candidate plans return to acting

"Old Fred Thompson Just added about ten years to his life by not being elected POTUS !"

NASHVILLE (AP) — Politician turned actor turned politician Fred Thompson is planning to reprise his old role: politician turned actor.
    Thompson dropped out of the crowded Republican nomination fight in January after his much-anticipated presidential campaign failed to gain strong support among conservatives.

He campaigned heavily for eventual nominee John McCain, and has since tried to gain support to head the Republican National Committee.

But his former finance chairman B.C. "Scooter" Clippard said Thursday that Thompson informed him a day earlier that he was returning to acting and dropping his RNC bid.

"He seriously considered it, but he called and said that it was not in the cards," Clippard said.

Clippard said he did not know which television programs might be interested in Thompson.

"He has some wonderful opportunities back in the television market that probably financially far outweigh being chair of the RNC," Clippard said.

Thompson, 66, was lawyer and character actor before being elected to the U.S. Senate in 1993, only to turn his back on politics after his first full term in favor of a full-time acting career in 2002.

He was best known for his role as the gruff district attorney on NBC's "Law & Order" before leaving the show in 2007 to run for president.

Clippard, who was also a co-chair of McCain's presidential fundraising efforts, said Thompson had the necessary support to make a serious bid to head the national GOP.

"He had people willing to fly him, willing to contribute," Clippard said. "People love him so much, he was offered extraordinary resources."

Thompson began his acting career with the film "Marie" in 1985, about a high-profile legal case he handled in Tennessee and in which he played himself.

His later casting credits included politicians and government officials in movies like "In the Line of Fire" and "The Hunt for Red October" before he ran to fill the last two years of Al Gore's unexpired U.S. Senate term after Gore was elected vice president.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...thompson_N.htm
    Last edited by megimoo; 11-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Being an actor does have its perks.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Being an actor does have its perks.

Those are amazing perks.

BSR
    Of all the candidates for President Fred disappointed me the most. He would have been much stronger than McCain but he half assed his campaign. He basically phoned it in.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by BSR View Post
    Of all the candidates for President Fred disappointed me the most. He would have been much stronger than McCain but he half assed his campaign. He basically phoned it in.
    I was shocked by the Thompson campaign. It seemed to lack focus and energy. Whatever it was, it never got off the ground.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I was shocked by the Thompson campaign. It seemed to lack focus and energy. Whatever it was, it never got off the ground.
    I was saddened and dismayed over Fred's campaign, he was my choice after Duncan Hunter failed to gain traction. I'm willing to bet cash that if it was a Thompson/Palin ticket we'd have the a President who was in Die Hard 2 and I'd be pretty happy with that.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I was saddened and dismayed over Fred's campaign, he was my choice after Duncan Hunter failed to gain traction. I'm willing to bet cash that if it was a Thompson/Palin ticket we'd have the a President who was in Die Hard 2 and I'd be pretty happy with that.
    I just watched Die Hard 2 yesterday. Funny, when it first came out I was like... meh....but I watched it again and went, wow that was pretty good.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    I just watched Die Hard 2 yesterday. Funny, when it first came out I was like... meh....but I watched it again and went, wow that was pretty good.
    Is there a moral somewhere in there ?:D

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Is there a moral somewhere in there ?:D
    Yes, with age comes wisdom......pfffffft....that ain't it.

My wife often says that I am overly critical of movies when they first come out.

I think that it's because this time, before I saw Die Hard 2 I had seen the bodacious set of tatas on Fred Thompson's wife. I mean, they should have gotten as oscar....I mean Fred Thompson and Bruce Willis of corse.

Things like that change a man's perspective.

I actually watched it just recently too, thats how I remembered Thompson was in it. Die Hard was a great series of movies, even the new one was pretty good.

Something about Fred Thompson just projects strong leadership qualities. Does anyone else get that impression? If you look back in Modern History the great leaders of the Western World have typically been great orators, take Churchill for example. Now I'm not comparing Thompson's oratory skills to Winston Churchill, that'd be absurd. But something about Fred, I dunno he just has that voice that's inspiring. To me, at least.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke