1. #1 Eugene Robinson: Trump is having his cake and golfing, too 
    link

I've been hearing from liberals that Trump's "vacations" (ie. weekends) he spends in Marlago are costing 3 to 4 million dollars each weekend he spends there. I've wondered what they are using to come up with those figures. Here's were they get them from

[QUOTE]
    Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (15,539 posts) Eugene Robinson: Trump is having his cake and golfing, too

President Trump’s spending of public money on his own ease and comfort is lavish and wasteful. His attitude toward taxpayers seems to be, roughly: Let them eat “the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you’ve ever seen.”

That is how the president described the dessert he shared with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Florida estate, which has become his weekend White House. Trump chose that moment of indulgence to inform Xi that U.S. cruise missiles had been fired into Syria. War is hell, but I guess Trump also sees it as an opportunity to indulge his sweet tooth.

I don’t begrudge Trump his empty calories. But his frequent trips to Florida, complete with the entourage that necessarily attends the modern presidency, have put him on pace to spend roughly as much on leisure travel in one year as Barack Obama spent in eight.

The president made a show of declining the $400,000 annual salary that comes with the job. But the most widely cited estimate of what one presidential trip to Mar-a-Lago costs — based on the known price of one Florida trip Obama took — is $3.6 million. And of the 13 weekends since Trump was sworn in, he has spent seven in Palm Beach.

A conservative watchdog group, Judicial Watch, estimated that Obama cost taxpayers $97 million in leisure travel costs during his two terms. As a private citizen, Trump was sharply critical of Obama’s travel spending, calling him a “habitual vacationer.” But Obama now looks like a relative cheapskate, while it is Trump who seems unable to break the habit.

http://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/rob...3e9f-228635337
    More comparing apples to oranges. Obama was vacationing, Trump is going to one of his homes, and he is conducting the business of the President. There is hundreds of variables that would effect the cost, everything from how many rooms did Obama have to reserve for security purposes vs. what security measures are put in place in Mar-a-lago, cost of food and who pays for it to number of secret service personnel needed to accompany them.

Unless they have real figures, this is nothing but hatred borne out of their anger that THEY didn't win.

DK504 (1,870 posts)

1. I do begrudge his god damn chocolate cake.

I do begrudge him his chocolate cake on the patio that he uses as a SKIF and telling a hostile foreign government our military actions.

I do begrudge this traitor using 400 million dollar bomb to try to take away from his collusion in disrupting our election and now other countries as well. He needs to be thrown out of office right now.

DK504 (1,870 posts)

1. I do begrudge his god damn chocolate cake.

I do begrudge him his chocolate cake on the patio that he uses as a SKIF and telling a hostile foreign government our military actions.

I do begrudge this traitor using 400 million dollar bomb ...
    1.) Big whoop! Your begrudgement and $5 will get you a venti latte' and change at Starchucks; they may examine the fiver to be sure it's genuine.

2.) Trump's use of his own property is going to save taxpayer millions of $$ over his 4 or 8 year presidency - communications equipment and such will only have to be installed once, rather than at every new place to which the Obamas or Clintons jet-setted. Reagan's and Bush's uses of their ranches were similarly money-savers, as was Bush (Sr.)'s repeated use of Kennebunkport.

3. a.) Is that a reference to Trump letting Russia know the Tomahawks would not hit Russian assets and people? Why do you object to reducing the possibility of a skirmish/nattle with Russia? Disappointed?

3. b.) Or is that a reference to Trump getting China to help put NoKo in its place? Why do you object to reducing the possibility of war with NoKo and/or the chance of NoKo getting nuclear tipped ICBMs? Disappointed?

4.) MOAB didn't cost $400M. That was the whole program cost for a different bomb. The cost of a MOAB is not $400M, not 10% of $400M, not 1% of $400M, not even .1% of $400M (though that is almost close). The best estimate is that in 2003 one MOAB cost ~$170K. The MSM got it wrong, as they usually do when Donald Trump is somehow in the picture.

Not that facts that contradict their narratives matter to DU-folk.
    Last edited by SVPete; 04-18-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

It's only an issue because Trump criticized Obama for playing too much golf while President.

Otherwise, I don't care if it's Bush, Clinton, Obama, Bush II, or the ghost of Gerald Ford. If golf helps with the stress of the job of being President, then it's a good hobby. In the case of a guy who owns golf courses, it's kind of a hospitality thing, too.

We'll see if Trump golfs after announcing an American was beheaded by ISIS. And these libtards have a lot of guff complaining about Trump golfing. At least Trump is golfing at his own golf course.
    Deplorably Proud To Be An American

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    ... At least Trump is golfing at his own golf course.
    And probably timing it after he's done necessary work and so as not to mess up the customers at his golf course.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

The president made a show of declining the $400,000 annual salary that comes with the job. But the most widely cited estimate of what one presidential trip to Mar-a-Lago costs — based on the known price of one Florida trip Obama took — is $3.6 million. And of the 13 weekends since Trump was sworn in, he has spent seven in Palm Beach.
    Eugene is, unsurprisingly, being dishonest again.

I'll see if I can dig up the article, but someone has thoroughly busted this meme. It turns out that the $3.6M figure is ridiculously inflated because Obama actually included a campaign stop in Chicago on that trip, plus this figure fails to account for the fact that the Secret Service had to prepare an advance team for Obama's trip, something that they don't have to do now for Trump because the Secret Service simply set up shop in Florida, making a permanent installation there for the long term rather than a one-off for Obama.

Would I rather Trump maybe stick around DC a little more, maybe try not to burn up quite so much jet-A? Sure. But I learned something in years of doing corporate tour groups: the deals are done on the golf course. I was completely shocked that a bunch of guys would pony up (at that time, which was nearly 20 years ago) $400+ a piece in greens fees to play 18 at Kapalua, but as the CEO told me at the time, that four hundred bucks was cheap when it meant striking a million-dollar contract. The lawyers alone will cost ten times that much. And it suddenly made sense that using that golf course was actually a fairly inexpensive way to get things done.

Personally, I'm not a golfer. I usually shoot about a 72. Then I give up on ever finding my ball, take my two-stroke penalty, and go on to the second tee. But I can completely understand how deals get done on the golf course. You're pretty isolated, you can pressure someone, and it can all feel friendly because you're out enjoying the game together. So if Trump can get China to pressure North Korea by playing 18 at some Florida seaside resort, then I consider that to be pretty inexpensive diplomacy by comparison.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.