1. #1 Prattville High student gets one-year expulsion for water gun incident 
    family is up in arms after their 16-year-old daughter was expelled from Prattville High School for having a water gun on campus.

The Autauga County Board of Education expelled Sara Allena “Laney” Nichols in February for a year from all schools in the county and she was banned from school property and any extra-curricular activities for the same period. Her mother, Tara Herring, admits she had the water gun on campus, but questions the severity of the punishment.

Superintendent Spence Agee declined to comment for this story, citing BOE policy forbidding comments on any disciplinary actions relating to students.

“She’s 16 and doesn’t know what it means when you hear ‘gun’ on campus,” Herring said. “We admit what she did was wrong. I was hoping this could be a teachable moment for her. We’re not saying she should not have been punished. But she took a 10-day suspension. And then the board expelled her. We feel the expulsion is excessive

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...ent/100577098/

I think the situation should have been punished, but not with expulsion. Suspension or detention would be more appropriate.

My high school banned water guns during the end of my junior year. My brother was a senior and one of he and his friends' pranks during the last week or so of school was they had a hit list. Each day, they would name someone they disliked and every time they saw that person in the hallway between classes, they would squirt that person with their water guns. They did it 3 days in a row-Wednesday night was Young Life, and I knew who Thursday's target was, so I warned him that night. He wore a raincoat and hat to school the next day, the principal was made aware of what was going on and he 1. banned water guns from campus and 2. went on the PA system to address the school about the potential dangers of slipping on the wet floor and the bullying nature of what they were doing and to state clearly that any senior who further engaged in the hit list would be suspended for the rest of the year and would not be allowed at graduation.

My brother was so mad at me for telling my friend, he complained to my mom, who actually yelled at me for ruining his prank. He even told me I was lucky that they banned the water guns because by telling my friend he was next, I made myself the next target. I dared him to do it despite the principal's threats and my dad reminded me "You want him to go to college far away in Milwaukee in the fall, right?".

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

My brother was so mad at me for telling my friend, he complained to my mom, who actually yelled at me for ruining his prank. He even told me I was lucky that they banned the water guns because by telling my friend he was next, I made myself the next target. I dared him to do it despite the principal's threats and my dad reminded me "You want him to go to college far away in Milwaukee in the fall, right?".
    Your Dad was very smart, .

The punishment in the OP article was wa-a-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over-the-top. And pretty much the kind of stupidity I'd expect from a PS. The parents should homeschool her through the rest of high school, have her take the GED, and enroll her at a local JC. The PS high school would lose her share of ADA $$, their family would be closer, she'd have a much better final couple of years of HS (and probably better educationally!), and between her GED and an AA at the JC (if not a BA or BS), she'd be none the worse as to her employment prospects.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Your Dad was very smart, .

The punishment in the OP article was wa-a-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over-the-top. And pretty much the kind of stupidity I'd expect from a PS. The parents should homeschool her through the rest of high school, have her take the GED, and enroll her at a local JC. The PS high school would lose her share of ADA $$, their family would be closer, she'd have a much better final couple of years of HS (and probably better educationally!), and between her GED and an AA at the JC (if not a BA or BS), she'd be none the worse as to her employment prospects.

Kids can get actual diplomas from home schooling, if the parents use online curriculums. There are a lot of different ones to choose from these days. A lot of our residential programs use them for their on-campus schools, so they don't have to hire as many teachers.