1. #1 St Paul at the Capital 
    link

Hula Popper (308 posts) St Paul at the Capital

March for Science, this Sat (22nd) at 11:00am.
    If I were bolder, I'd love to attend the protest with a sign

SETTLED SCIENCE !!

Abortion kills
    an unborn baby.
    "Science" is just like claims of racism, sexism, homophobia, misogynia, and the way they use black people, women, and kids. Liberals use it to shut down debate and opposing views by claiming that they have the 'high moral ground', which is anything but moral.

Maybe I hang out in the wrong 'net circles, but DU is the only place from which I've heard a peep about this event. It may not have enough in attendance to be a fizzle.

I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

It's all over the place in south and southeast Texas. And scientists are coming down on both sides. The funniest thing I've seen is the part that implies all the "real" scientist are in academia.
    I've got a clue for them on that point.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Clips from today’s Houston Chronicle editorial:

……. the anti-science forces have become emboldened by President Donald Trump, public engagement for scientists has become a responsibility, not an option. Trump’s stance on climate change, his proposed budget that cuts the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Institutes of Health and his perplexing statements about the safety of vaccines, show a disdain for facts and the scientific method. Scientists, and those who support and benefit from their work, cannot let the campaign of misguided policy and misinformation go unchallenged.

<snip>

……… Scientists need a seat at the table if they are ever to secure reliable support for research.

<snip>

…….., “A march for science is a march for common sense.”
    Since the anti-science forces have become emboldened by President Donald J. Trump, public engagement for scientists has become a responsibility, not an option.

Excerpts from the Chronicle “news” article:

…….“I really loved this idea that humanity could come together, put aside their differences, and really focus on the betterment of society through the advancement of science,” said Johnson, an organic chemist for an oil field service company based in the Woodlands.

<snip>

Marchers hope to rally support for science, which many believe is under new attack from President Donald Trump and his administration. Since taking office, Trump has appointed climate change deniers to his Cabinet and announced plans to cut funding for the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Institutes of Health, among others.

The March for Science is not without controversy. Some scientists plan on skipping the march, objecting to the partisan underpinnings.

Organizers have gone to great lengths to say the movement isn’t a political one.

They argue that personal ideology has been creeping into science policies for years.

“Friends of science and scientists really find that appalling,” said Rush Holt, chief executive officer for the American Association for the Advancement of Science, one of the event’s largest backers.

Still, Trump’s election seems to be a game-changer, spurring many scientists toward public advocacy for the first time in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    …….., “A march for science is a march for common sense.”
    Since the anti-science forces have become emboldened by President Donald J. Trump, public engagement for scientists has become a responsibility, not an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Organizers have gone to great lengths to say the movement isn’t a political one.

It's entirely political and entirely anti-science, you fools. You wholly reject the science that undeniably shows that global warming is a hoax, and you embrace the stark-raving idiocy that men can become women, when science conclusively shows that this is not at all the case, and then you have the nerve to go around and call other people "anti-science."

Unfuckingbelievable.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.