Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power CUer
    The OP thinks it's awful that people are boycotting businesses they don't believe in, and I was pointing out that the other side has done it too. I don't think it's particularly effective.

Sorry you disapprove of my posts. I'm sure I'll cry myself to sleep over that, tonight.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The OP thinks it's awful that people are boycotting businesses they don't believe in, and I was pointing out that the other side has done it too. I don't think it's particularly effective.

Sorry you disapprove of my posts. I'm sure I'll cry myself to sleep over that, tonight.
    I believe that the OP was pointing out the left and their "tolerance and acceptance" platform should welcome the Mormons Ideals and beliefs. They should not punish them for holding different views. That according to the leftist mantra and umbrella of tolerance.

No... the Mormoms clash with their worldview so it is Hell to Pay!

As for disapproving of your posts, you were the one that:
    1: Tried to insinuate that you are not a lefty.
    2: Show that you were pointing out a double standard, that was in fact being pointed out in the OP.

As far as crying yourself to sleep...
    I am sure you can tell how much empathy that I feel for you, and how I so regret calling you a lefty.
    Last edited by KCornett; 11-24-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo
    "If you're going through Hell... Keep on going"-Rodney Atkins

To clarify: I think the OP was trying to say that it is only hate and intolerance when Christians or the Right does it.

Power CUer
    I don't think it makes much sense when either side does it. And I'll live with a "hillbilly's" opinion of me without much trouble. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I don't think it makes much sense when either side does it. And I'll live with a "hillbilly's" opinion of me without much trouble. :p
    As far as it making sense... I do not know. As far as the hypocrisy about it... it is all on the left.

That is the second time that you have mentioned what effect [or lack thereof] my opinion of you will have.
    Hmmm...
    Coffee?

Power CUer
    No thanks, I've had mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
    Oh ya! That will help the economy! Dont we have a right to our opinions too? I can just imagine how upset they would be if we boycotted Pro Choice businesses.

Topic:
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ress=141x32572

Don't anti-abortion people boycott pro-choice businesses? I ask this because back when the Dayton-Hudson corporation was still in business, one of my coworkers told me not to buy clothes at Hudson's department store because they sponsored Planned Parenthood.

I boycott Dominos Pizza, but that's easy to do because their pizza is nasty. But with Dominos, it's more than just Monaghan's politics-he fired Ernie Harwell from the Tigers. I have no desire to support such a man.

There's a business owner in Detroit who is anti-abortion that some of my liberal friends suggested that I boycott. I pointed out that the same guy would call my department's welfare end of the business and hire people to work in his store and factory directly off the welfare rolls, long before welfare reform was instituted. I don't like one opinion he holds, but he does many more good things that deserve my support.

No, what makes this one different is HOW the boycott came about.

First off. . . this was a private donation from a private person. Ms. Christofferson is not the full owner of the business. She made the donation on her dime and her time. . .

Second...they held a private closed door meeting with her over her decision. Boycotts are cool, but since they are a public action, they should be done publicly. . .it smacks of mafia tactics to isolate and intimidate someone at their place of work over a decision they made on their own time and with their own dime.

Third... her behavior during the apology... she could barely get the words out, she was shaking... SHE WAS SCARED. . .

Fourth - - the demands. . .she may not be able to make them finiancially.

How can a group of people that says they know hate and oppression practically extort someone like this?

That's what makes this boycott less than kosher in my reckoning.

They are cowards.

~QC

I'm a lefty because I point out double standards? Whatever. I suppose double standards are better than none.
    That is the basis of a couple of members here. You're a liberal for pointing out stupidity, and you are amongst the ranks of those who don't tolerate the opinions of others.

Power CUer
    I tolerate the opinions of others if they're well reasoned. It's idiocy that infuriates me.