1. #1 So how much does hosting, maintaining, whatever, a website costs? 
    I want to start my own site one day (an anime site, which most of you cringe at :p) but I was wondering... how much does it cost to, well, make it? And I mean everything. I'm looking for something simple. A forum such as this one or the one we had before. There's more I want to add eventually. Anyone have any idea? Because I have zero clue what i'm doing...
    I'll add something signature worthy later...

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The VBulletin software is amazingly cheap, I was surprised when I looked into it. I think a license was under 200 bucks.

Hosting the site...that I don't know. Depends on bandwidth requirements among
    other things I imagine.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Amazingly cheap huh... >_> *is poor beyond means*

How about something like this:

http://www.bluehost.com/

And using phpbb:

http://www.phpbb.com/

My concern with bluehost is that I won't be able to get a site I want, and it will be riddled with ads. The only ads I want to use are Google and/or Yahoo ads, just to gain a little so I can pay for the monthly costs. Any more help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks SR.

Also, if I find a hosting site, do I still need to pay to use phpbb?

*EDIT*

Nevermind, phpbb is free. I read that wrong. I really want vBulletin, but $180 is not an option for me right now.
    Last edited by Dyne; 11-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.

try freeforums.org

Try yuku forums: http://www.yuku.com/home/yukuplatform/ What type of anime site are you planning? Will you be offering downloads/videos or what?

Guys I don't want a free site. I want it to be my own, not with hosting sites name attached to it.

I have one more question. About shared hosting sites... is there any where I don't have to pay for 3, 2, or 1 year right off the bat? They say something like "$4.96 / month" but you have to pay for 36 months up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I want to start my own site one day (an anime site, which most of you cringe at :p) but I was wondering... how much does it cost to, well, make it? And I mean everything. I'm looking for something simple. A forum such as this one or the one we had before. There's more I want to add eventually. Anyone have any idea? Because I have zero clue what i'm doing...
    1and1 offers most of the functionality you see here for like $10 a month. Its a shared server so you arent going to get the performance of a more expensive solution, but if it is just for fun it will work for you and its cheap.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    Guys I don't want a free site. I want it to be my own, not with hosting sites name attached to it.

I have one more question. About shared hosting sites... is there any where I don't have to pay for 3, 2, or 1 year right off the bat? They say something like "$4.96 / month" but you have to pay for 36 months up front.
    If you're planning on streaming video or audio, things can get pretty pricey. With some of the sites I have set up on Godaddy and the like, i've had to do the audio/video streaming from another site. Most hosting services won't let you do streaming on a shared server or vitual server. You'll need to lease a stand alone and that can get pricey.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis