1. #1 So how much does hosting, maintaining, whatever, a website costs? 
    I want to start my own site one day (an anime site, which most of you cringe at :p) but I was wondering... how much does it cost to, well, make it? And I mean everything. I'm looking for something simple. A forum such as this one or the one we had before. There's more I want to add eventually. Anyone have any idea? Because I have zero clue what i'm doing...
    I'll add something signature worthy later...

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The VBulletin software is amazingly cheap, I was surprised when I looked into it. I think a license was under 200 bucks.

Hosting the site...that I don't know. Depends on bandwidth requirements among
    other things I imagine.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Amazingly cheap huh... >_> *is poor beyond means*

How about something like this:

http://www.bluehost.com/

And using phpbb:

http://www.phpbb.com/

My concern with bluehost is that I won't be able to get a site I want, and it will be riddled with ads. The only ads I want to use are Google and/or Yahoo ads, just to gain a little so I can pay for the monthly costs. Any more help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks SR.

Also, if I find a hosting site, do I still need to pay to use phpbb?

*EDIT*

Nevermind, phpbb is free. I read that wrong. I really want vBulletin, but $180 is not an option for me right now.
    Last edited by Dyne; 11-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.

try freeforums.org

Try yuku forums: http://www.yuku.com/home/yukuplatform/ What type of anime site are you planning? Will you be offering downloads/videos or what?

Guys I don't want a free site. I want it to be my own, not with hosting sites name attached to it.

I have one more question. About shared hosting sites... is there any where I don't have to pay for 3, 2, or 1 year right off the bat? They say something like "$4.96 / month" but you have to pay for 36 months up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I want to start my own site one day (an anime site, which most of you cringe at :p) but I was wondering... how much does it cost to, well, make it? And I mean everything. I'm looking for something simple. A forum such as this one or the one we had before. There's more I want to add eventually. Anyone have any idea? Because I have zero clue what i'm doing...
    1and1 offers most of the functionality you see here for like $10 a month. Its a shared server so you arent going to get the performance of a more expensive solution, but if it is just for fun it will work for you and its cheap.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    Guys I don't want a free site. I want it to be my own, not with hosting sites name attached to it.

I have one more question. About shared hosting sites... is there any where I don't have to pay for 3, 2, or 1 year right off the bat? They say something like "$4.96 / month" but you have to pay for 36 months up front.
    If you're planning on streaming video or audio, things can get pretty pricey. With some of the sites I have set up on Godaddy and the like, i've had to do the audio/video streaming from another site. Most hosting services won't let you do streaming on a shared server or vitual server. You'll need to lease a stand alone and that can get pricey.
    For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.
    To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?”

2 Corinthians 2:15-16