Thread: 'Money Management 101 Under The Progressive Liberals !"

1. #1 'Money Management 101 Under The Progressive Liberals !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Listen To Barney Franks Then Dig A Hole : These People Are Burying Their Cash

The day the Dow fell 777 points, David Latham, a 45-year-old Alabama cattle farmer and electrician, was busy doing errands. Driving his Chevy pickup into Montgomery, he dropped by the hardware store, then stopped into the bank, where he withdrew $8,000 from his CD account, all in 20s. Back home, he slipped the four inch-thick bundles into a Ziploc bag, popped them into a waterproof PVC tube and set out for a remote location on his 300-acre property, where he dug a deep hole with a post digger. And then he buried his money.

Indeed, according to Doug Brush, head of business development for SentrySafe, the nation’s largest safemaker, the company’s retailers report sales of home safes increasing 20 to 40 percent in recent weeks.snip

More from SmartMoney.com:

• Rebuilding Your Wealth

• How to Earn 4% On Your Cash

• 9 Sites That Help With Everyday Budgeting
    Is there an American alive who hasn’t considered burying his savings—or at least stashing it in the mattress—as this financial crisis has deepened? Latham assumes the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. will step in if his bank collapses, but he figures it might take a few weeks to get his money. Now, he says, “I can get my hands on cold, hard cash anytime I want.” But beyond that, there’s the nagging fear that the world isn’t as secure as we’d like to believe. Latham says the $8,000 is an insurance policy against, well, who knows? “I’m hedging my bets,” he says.

America’s uneasy relationship with banks has deep roots. Between the financial panic of 1837 and the Great Depression, the nation endured six widespread bank failures in which millions lost their savings. The bank runs typically started in rural areas before spreading to the cities, accounting for the lingering distrust country folks have for banks to this day. “In some ways, it really was wiser to put your money in the ground,” says Dartmouth history professor Ronald Edsforth. Given this history and the current panic, he adds, “It’s not unusual that it would resurface.”

More from Yahoo! Finance:

• Lose the Urge to Splurge: Frugal Living Is In

• Smart Ways to Trim Big-Ticket Expenses

• Retailers Offer New Ways to Pay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit the Banking & Budgeting Center

Mitch Cohen, a family physician in the remote logging town of Elma, Wash., says his patients who grew up during the Depression have always kept savings in coffee cans buried under the porch. But in recent months, when hometown stalwart Washington Mutual went south, the younger generation caught on. Residents have taken to making treasure maps (“walk 20 paces, turn left at the tree”), which they share with a trusted friend or family member. Cohen finds it hard to argue with the impulse. He, too, snatched his cash out of WaMu before it went under. “But I moved it to a credit union,” he says. “I avoided the backyard.”

It’s not just rural folk who get the urge. Kristy Young, an accounts manager with a Texas-based credit union, recently confronted a customer who wanted to transfer $150,000 from the bank to his backyard. She pleaded with him for an hour, using arguments ranging from the technical (soundness ratings) to the practical (“If a dog digs it up, that money is gone!”). The man relented, but Young is more worried about the customers who withdrew their money silently. “I don’t put it past people to keep money in their own personal safes,” she says. Indeed, according to Doug Brush, head of business development for SentrySafe, the nation’s largest safemaker, the company’s retailers report sales of home safes increasing 20 to 40 percent in recent weeks.snip

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...ing-Their-Cash

I'd wager more and more people are going to start doing this sort of thing. My dad's taken a huge beating this year in his retirement fund and I was thinking of getting him a sentry gun safe since he's turning 50, hopefully he doesn't get any wild ideas. :p
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I'd wager more and more people are going to start doing this sort of thing. My dad's taken a huge beating this year in his retirement fund and I was thinking of getting him a sentry gun safe since he's turning 50, hopefully he doesn't get any wild ideas. :p
    If it get to the point of too many people 'opting out' of the market and hiding their money they will just change the paper currancy and declare the old notes bogus .Just like the old 'gold standard' trick !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    If it get to the point of too many people 'opting out' of the market and hiding their money they will just change the paper currancy and declare the old notes bogus .Just like the old 'gold standard' trick !
    I wouldn't put it past 'em. I'm putting money in gold as we speak. :D
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I wouldn't put it past 'em.
    Yep. Democrats helping the poor.