Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tesla factory workers reveal pain, injury and stress:... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This is a good read. Big ideas, goals, plans.

BUT, people are still there.

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

He's certainly got one thing right.

Musk also said that Tesla should not be compared to major US carmakers and that its market capitalization, now more than $50bn, is unwarranted. “I do believe this market cap is higher than we have any right to deserve,” he said, pointing out his company produces just 1% of GM’s total output.

Real value might, just might, be close to $1B and that's the value of the plant on the market selling off all it's robots.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

For the taxpayer-subsidized price of a Tesla you could buy 2 or 3 Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics.

Even with taxpayer subsidies Tesla loses money on every vehicle, and may never have a path to profitability with it's current generation vehicle(s).

Taking the 265-335 mile range claims at face value, that's 265-335 miles and then charge overnight. My Toyota can drive >350 miles on a tank of gas, take 10 or 20 minutes to refill the gas tank and for me to go to the can and get a snack, and then get back on the road again. According to Google maps, it's ~367 mile from San Jose (where I live) to Anaheim (where the Mouse lives). IOW, the newest, longest range Tesla could not make it in one day, neglecting the fact that there are battery-charge-eating mountains that would have to be crossed.

Speaking of real road conditions ... I have a feeling Tesla's range claims would come up well short, driving from Salt Lake City into Nebraska on I-80 - crossing the Rockies. Depending on the route taken and model of Tesla used, Driving from Tucson to Flagstaff in daytime in August might also, ummmmm, come up short. Or howzabout really cold weather in the central US?

Reality is that we are probably 2 or more leaps of technology from batteries that could do a full day's drive in real life weather and terrain. A full recharge that doesn't screw up battery life in under 2-4 hours (I think I'm being really generous)? I don't know if that's realistic, and our current electrical grid probably could not accommodate large numbers of such EVs.

And in the end, what is accomplished by EVs? They have no tailpipes, and have no exhaust emissions? Power plants do, and EVs shift their emissions to the power plant, an emissions shell game. No fossil fuels are used by the EVs? Again, EVs are a shell game, where the fossil fuels are consumed at the power plant.

I have no problem with technology, when it does something useful/necessary. In my lifetime - almost within my career - the segment of electronics that has been my specialty for over 35 years has taken the efficiency of computer power sources (those grey sheet metal boxes with wire bundles coming out of them, or that black or white "brick" that plugs into your laptop) from 40%-50% efficiency to 85%-95% efficiency. And from something that was moved with a forklift to boxes a child could carry under their arm or in their hand. I don't know whether, realistically, EVs will ever be more than special use vehicles and fashionable toys for those able to pay a premium for cool.

All of which explains why I think Tesla is not a company with a long future.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    For the taxpayer-subsidized price of a Tesla you could buy 2 or 3 Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics.

Even with taxpayer subsidies Tesla loses money on every vehicle, and may never have a path to profitability with it's current generation vehicle(s).

Taking the 265-335 mile range claims at face value, that's 265-335 miles and then charge overnight. My Toyota can drive >350 miles on a tank of gas, take 10 or 20 minutes to refill the gas tank and for me to go to the can and get a snack, and then get back on the road again. According to Google maps, it's ~367 mile from San Jose (where I live) to Anaheim (where the Mouse lives). IOW, the newest, longest range Tesla could not make it in one day, neglecting the fact that there are battery-charge-eating mountains that would have to be crossed.

Speaking of real road conditions ... I have a feeling Tesla's range claims would come up well short, driving from Salt Lake City into Nebraska on I-80 - crossing the Rockies. Depending on the route taken and model of Tesla used, Driving from Tucson to Flagstaff in daytime in August might also, ummmmm, come up short. Or howzabout really cold weather in the central US?

Reality is that we are probably 2 or more leaps of technology from batteries that could do a full day's drive in real life weather and terrain. A full recharge that doesn't screw up battery life in under 2-4 hours (I think I'm being really generous)? I don't know if that's realistic, and our current electrical grid probably could not accommodate large numbers of such EVs.

And in the end, what is accomplished by EVs? They have no tailpipes, and have no exhaust emissions? Power plants do, and EVs shift their emissions to the power plant, an emissions shell game. No fossil fuels are used by the EVs? Again, EVs are a shell game, where the fossil fuels are consumed at the power plant.

I have no problem with technology, when it does something useful/necessary. In my lifetime - almost within my career - the segment of electronics that has been my specialty for over 35 years has taken the efficiency of computer power sources (those grey sheet metal boxes with wire bundles coming out of them, or that black or white "brick" that plugs into your laptop) from 40%-50% efficiency to 85%-95% efficiency. And from something that was moved with a forklift to boxes a child could carry under their arm or in their hand. I don't know whether, realistically, EVs will ever be more than special use vehicles and fashionable toys for those able to pay a premium for cool.

All of which explains why I think Tesla is not a company with a long future.
    This is pretty much how I feel about electric cars. I've drive a 2015 Toyota Corolla (my first new car ). I've always said that when they can make an electric car that A)has the range on a full charge as my car, B)can get a full charge in the time I can fill the tank with gas and C)costs the same as I'm paying for my Corolla I'll be happy to switch over to an EV. Till then, I'll stick with a proven technology and leave the fancy toys to the rich and pretentious.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

So basically, it's a "toy" for rich Libtards
    that want to think of themselves as
    "Eco-Warriors!!!!".

Their stock is crazy, $313 a share this
    morning? Not in my portfolio...

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    So basically, it's a "toy" for rich Libtards
    that want to think of themselves as
    "Eco-Warriors!!!!".

Their stock is crazy, $313 a share this
    morning? Not in my portfolio...
    It's a "Pony" stock, as in, "There must be a pony under all this horse-@#$%!"

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    It's a "Pony" stock, as in, "There must be a pony under all this horse-@#$%!"
    LOL.

I don't trust the mileage numbers. Any pure EV like this
    will be fine if you live in a place like The Villages in Central
    FL. Even there it's way over kill and just a status symbol,
    a golf cart will do the job, even a custom tricked out one,
    much cheaper.

here's an interesting video about planning and taking a road trip in a Tesla

and what happens if you run the battery all the way down

The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    I want a nuclear-powered truck

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/493144227920109939/
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Elon Musk's Production Plan For New Tesla: Too Fast, Too Furious?
    BRIAN DEAGON
    Now, however, Musk could be facing his greatest challenge. Having staked a reputation as a rock star of the business world, the question is whether he can transport his Tesla (TSLA) car company from a boutique builder of head-turning luxury electric vehicles into a mainstream automaker capable of bringing the company's upcoming Model 3 to the workaday masses.
    First, Tesla's assembly line is taking a gamble by forgoing the common use of prototypes, and instead is going headlong into production right from the start. Further, pricing and profit expectations rely on a massive battery-manufacturing plant the company is building. Meanwhile, Tesla has to expand dealerships, service centers and charging stations to accommodate this more moderately priced car. And it needs to pull all this off while competitors are breathing down its neck.
    I understand manglement gets frustrated with the delays of prototyping and pilot runs, but those are geared to discovering flaws not found on paper and in computer modelling. Discovering those flaws in the middle of volume production or in customers' garages is far worse.