Thread: Breaking: US Gov't to guarantee $300B in Citigroup assets, loan $20B more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Breaking: US Gov't to guarantee $300B in Citigroup assets, loan $20B more 
    The federal government agreed Sunday night to rescue Citigroup Inc. by helping to absorb potentially hundreds of billions of dollars in losses on toxic assets on its balance sheet and injecting fresh capital into the troubled financial giant.

The agreement marks a new phase in government efforts to stabilize U.S. banks and securities firms. After injecting nearly $300 billion of capital into financial institutions, federal officials now appear to be willing to help shoulder bad assets, on a targeted basis, from specific institutions. (Terms of the deal)
    [Citibank] Bloomberg News/Landov

Pedestrians walk past a Citibank branch in New York.

Citigroup is one of the world's best-known banking brands, with more than 200 million customer accounts in 106 countries. Its plunging stock price threatened to spook customers and imperil the bank.

If the government's rescue plan is a success, it could help bring stability to the entire financial system. If it doesn't, even deeper doubts about the industry's future could spread.

After a weekend of marathon talks between Citigroup executives and top federal officials, the parties late Sunday night nailed down a package in which the government will help protect the company from its riskiest assets.

Link

No other info. I will post a link once one becomes available. This just broke on Reuters.
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 11-24-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Wait wait wait....is this 300 Billion coming out of the so called 700 Billion? Or is this an entirely new transaction that Shifty Paulson is going to shovel out the backdoor?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Wait even more: I just started reading....this crap says the Fed is going to be insuring Citigroups potential future losses? So the American taxpayer is somehow now responsible if their crap turns into shit? (which you know it will) :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Wait even more: I just started reading....this crap says the Fed is going to be insuring Citigroups potential future losses? So the American taxpayer is somehow now responsible if their crap turns into shit? (which you know it will) :mad:
    Correct.

Citi cannot fail.

However, I personally believe that banking should be federally controlled. The banking system is one of the few things that absolutely, positively HAS to be funded and work perfectly - like the military, our power grid, and possibly the Internet.

Some business can fail (like the automakers). Some cant (like banking). But rather than bailout private banks indefinitely, we should probably just bite the bullet and create a nationalized banking structure.

See I don't know if I can bite off on that. Nationalized anything just sends chills down my spine as being the beginning of the end for freedom. I know the banking institutions shouldn't fail but Hoover's increased Government intervention is what helped bring on the Depression in the first place.

I gotta go listen to some Tool and try to maintain my sanity now thanks to this bs. It's almost pitchforks & torches time 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    See I don't know if I can bite off on that. Nationalized anything just sends chills down my spine as being the beginning of the end for freedom. I know the banking institutions shouldn't fail but Hoover's increased Government intervention is what helped bring on the Depression in the first place.

I gotta go listen to some Tool and try to maintain my sanity now thanks to this bs. It's almost pitchforks & torches time 'round here.
    I understand, but even the most hardcore conservatives (like me) understand that some things need to be run by the government. Roads, dams, the military, police, and fire come to mind. I think banking is going to fall into that category. At least to some level. Maybe they will end up like our Utilities - private businesses but heavily government regulated.

One thing is for sure, we can't have bank failures again. This is ridiculous. All of the pain we are feeling now was out of lack of regulation in banking that led to a failure in inter-bank and business lending. And here we are.

If we have a widespread banking failure, our currency becomes worthless and credit cards stop working. Then what do you do? Buy food with what?

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    I understand, but even the most hardcore conservatives (like me) understand that some things need to be run by the government. Roads, dams, the military, police, and fire come to mind. I think banking is going to fall into that category. At least to some level. Maybe they will end up like our Utilities - private businesses but heavily government regulated.

One thing is for sure, we can't have bank failures again. This is ridiculous. All of the pain we are feeling now was out of lack of regulation in banking that led to a failure in inter-bank and business lending. And here we are.

If we have a widespread banking failure, our currency becomes worthless and credit cards stop working. Then what do you do? Buy food with what?
    The problem with our banking system is we used government to give incentives for and when that failed, to FORCE them to make decisions that they would not have done under normal circumstances.

We compounded it by removing the risk they had for making those bad decisions via the GSE guarantees through ginny mae, freddi mac and fannie mae.

The combination of rewarding bad decisions, removing the risk for those bad decisions and then FORCING bad decisions, is what led to the issues we have in the financial markets.

THAT loaded the gun. Oil prices and the inflation that they set off sapped the disposable income and ate into the mortgage payments was the match that set it off

In EVERY CASE, it was government interference with the free market that caused or contributed GREATLY to the problem.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 11-24-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Correct.

Citi cannot fail.
    However, I personally believe that banking should be federally controlled. The banking system is one of the few things that absolutely, positively HAS to be funded and work perfectly - like the military, our power grid, and possibly the Internet.
    Some business can fail (like the automakers). Some cant (like banking). But rather than bailout private banks indefinitely, we should probably just bite the bullet and create a nationalized banking structure.
    Banking as a whole will not fail, provided the market is permitted to weed out the inefficiencies. Individual banks will fail, as they have since the first Sumerian started keeping records on clay tablets, but the basic premise, the transactions of data in lieu of actual currency, is more viable now than ever. All that government control of banks will do is insert political consideration in place of financial ones. That's bad for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    The problem with our banking system is we used government to give incentives for and when that failed, to FORCE them to make decisions that they would not have done under normal circumstances.

We compounded it by removing the risk they had for making those bad decisions via the GSE guarantees through ginny mae, freddi mac and fannie mae.

The combination of rewarding bad decisions, removing the risk for those bad decisions and then FORCING bad decisions, is what led to the issues we have in the financial markets.

THAT loaded the gun. Oil prices and the inflation that they set off sapped the disposable income we had was the match that set it off.

In EVERY CASE, it was government interference with the free market that caused or contributed GREATLY to the problem.
    Exactly. The subprime mess is entirely the result of the mandates of the Community Reinvestment Act and the subsequent manipulation of the markets by the Dems.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banking is one of the most heavily regulated industries in our country as it is though. The whole "de-regulation" arguement is propaganda by idiots like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. The CRA, along with poor business practices got us in the situation we're in now. Banks were over regulated under Clinton to loan to idiots with no real means of payment, and the whole thing snowballed.