Thread: My Top 10 in Horror...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    No, you arent the only one.. It was a unique scary movie that I thougth was pulled off well, with such a small budget.
    While I admired the format, the huge amount of hype surrounding that film before it even broke, and the TV special documentary that aired before the movie (which was actually more chilling than the film itself), BWP broke one of the cardinal rules of storytelling...halfway through the movie I was sick and tired of the three kids and all their bickering and arguing....you hated them because they were so stupid and couldn't pull themselves together (in the least) to try and figure a way out of their predicament...I mean, we all know "victims" in horror movies do stupid things...that's the point, really...but I found myself rooting for the "witch" to kill them and couldn't wait for the end to come. However, the last camera shot at the very end, where something gets the kids holding the camera and it falls to the (basement?) floor, at that weird slanted angle, the screaming, then dead silence as that happened was one of the most effectively terrifying scenes in a movie ever. You wanted to know, to see what that witch was...or whoever or whatever got to the kids...but you were left with that little unknown fact...it was brilliant...and almost worth that trio's mindless juvenile fighting.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Nevermind, dude....it is called a joke...ya know, funny haha....being a smartass...you should know what that is, JV...
    One thing about text is you cant really tell the level of snark and humor in it. I am always kidding and you wont upset me.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled snarkfest. :D

BSR
    While I admired the format, the huge amount of hype surrounding that film before it even broke, and the TV special documentary that aired before the movie (which was actually more chilling than the film itself), BWP broke one of the cardinal rules of storytelling...halfway through the movie I was sick and tired of the three kids and all their bickering and arguing....you hated them because they were so stupid and couldn't pull themselves together (in the least) to try and figure a way out of their predicament...I mean, we all know "victims" in horror movies do stupid things...that's the point, really...but I found myself rooting for the "witch" to kill them and couldn't wait for the end to come. However, the last camera shot at the very end, where something gets the kids holding the camera and it falls to the (basement?) floor, at that weird slanted angle, the screaming, then dead silence as that happened was one of the most effectively terrifying scenes in a movie ever. You wanted to know, to see what that witch was...or whoever or whatever got to the kids...but you were left with that little unknown fact...it was brilliant...and almost worth that trio's mindless juvenile fighting.

Didn't they really start the who viral thing? I remember going to websites that had the supposed "real documentations" of the case of their disappearance. I agree the acting was horrible, but the concept was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    really? you didnt think it was a little bit creapy?
    No, I didn't. Part of the problem was that I had no sympathy or interest in the victims. They were just a collection of foul-mouthed drunks who weren't even amusing. I'm sure their mothers loved them but I just didn't care what happened to them.

Another problem was the camera work (the "device"). For me, jiggly handheld camera work is another reminder that I am watching a movie. It doesn't make the scene more real for me. I understand what they were trying to do - they just failed.

The last straw was the whole 'fear of sticks' thing. I'm not afraid of woods or sticks. To a kid who never goes outside or who has never camped out, I guess sticks could be alarming but it didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No, I didn't. Part of the problem was that I had no sympathy or interest in the victims. They were just a collection of foul-mouthed drunks who weren't even amusing. I'm sure their mothers loved them but I just didn't care what happened to them.

Another problem was the camera work (the "device"). For me, jiggly handheld camera work is another reminder that I am watching a movie. It doesn't make the scene more real for me. I understand what they were trying to do - they just failed.

The last straw was the whole 'fear of sticks' thing. I'm not afraid of woods or sticks. To a kid who never goes outside or who has never camped out, I guess sticks could be alarming but it didn't work for me.
    Now if the kids stumbled upon a dirty bathroom, oh the horror!!! :eek:
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Now if the kids stumbled upon a dirty bathroom, oh the horror!!! :eek:
    Filthy public bathrooms are horrifying. Small bundles of sticks are not. Everybody knows this. :p

BSR

Filthy public bathrooms are horrifying. Small bundles of sticks are not. Everybody knows this. :p
    What about small bundles of sticks in a filthy, muck-covered bathroom? ;)