Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1 Update: Hikers Found 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska Ground and air crews were planning to resume a search Tuesday for two women one a Minnesotan missing on what was supposed to be a short backpacking trip in Denali National Park and Preserve.

    Searchers and dogs were looking for Abby Flantz, 25, of Gaylord, Minn., and Erica Nelson, 23, of Las Vegas. The women were reported overdue Saturday when they did not show up for work at a hotel outside the park.

    Park spokeswoman Kris Fister said Nelson was supposed to be on a plane Sunday night to fly to Houston, where she was set to be maid of honor in a sister's wedding.

    "So they had a reason to be back," Fister said.

    Ground and air crews have searched nearly 100 square miles of the nearly 9,400-square-mile park. Searchers were planning to camp out Monday night about three miles from where the women were last seen, Fister said.

    The women were last seen Thursday at the Savage River check station about 15 miles from park headquarters. They had planned to return Friday.

    Flantz's family still lives in Gaylord, where her parents, Jim and Kathy Flantz, were keeping a vigil by the phone Monday. They planned to fly to Alaska on Tuesday.
    Link

    I haven't been following the news lately and missed this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Two young women hiking in Alaska's Denali National Park were found alive and well Wednesday, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

    The families of Abby Flantz, 25, of Gaylord, Minn., and 23-year-old Erica Nelson of Las Vegas were at the park and would be reunited with the young women shortly, Fister said.

    The pair hadn't been seen since last week. They disappeared during what was supposed to be a short backpacking trip through the preserve.
    Link to good news
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 06-18-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Two young women hiking in Alaska's Denali National Park were found alive and well Wednesday, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

    The families of Abby Flantz, 25, of Gaylord, Minn., and 23-year-old Erica Nelson of Las Vegas were at the park and would be reunited with the young women shortly, Fister said.

    The pair hadn't been seen since last week. They disappeared during what was supposed to be a short backpacking trip through the preserve.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...k to good news]
    The link isn't working, says "page not found".

    Was thinking of you with your hikes when I heard this. Be very careful in Canyonlands.
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 06-18-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Sorry about that. I must have missed a copy past edit.

    No worries about me in the Canyonlands and Arches...it will be all guided tours. I'm just worried about the facilities that will be available on the white water rafting!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Sorry about that. I must have missed a copy past edit.

    No worries about me in the Canyonlands and Arches...it will be all guided tours. I'm just worried about the facilities that will be available on the white water rafting!!
    Glad to hear it. There are some places where guided tours are good. A case in point was my trip to Africa, particularly when the tire blew in one of the safari vehicles a short distance from a pride of lions ripping apart a wildebeast. I was glad that 3 vans were together and all stayed together til the tire was changed. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Glad to hear it. There are some places where guided tours are good. A case in point was my trip to Africa, particularly when the tire blew in one of the safari vehicles a short distance from a pride of lions ripping apart a wildebeast. I was glad that 3 vans were together and all stayed together til the tire was changed. :D
    I'll probably do a few hours in Arches without a tour, but honestly I found a tour package that included everything and since I'm bringing a youngin with me I thought it would be fun for him to be with some other kids as well. I'm still debating on whether or not to try the canyoneering. It looks like a lot of fun, but I've never done it before.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    noonwitch
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Sorry about that. I must have missed a copy past edit.

    No worries about me in the Canyonlands and Arches...it will be all guided tours. I'm just worried about the facilities that will be available on the white water rafting!!

    I went whitewater rafting in Colorado when I went to Young Life camp. It was so much fun, but it was a short trip on the Arkansas River, which really wasn't that rough.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I went whitewater rafting in Colorado when I went to Young Life camp. It was so much fun, but it was a short trip on the Arkansas River, which really wasn't that rough.
    I don't think this white water will be that rough. The original trip I was looking at was a 1/2 day trip, but the kids had to be 12 or over and my nephew won't quite be 12, so the trip I picked is now a 2 day trip on the river, but under 12 is allowed. I imagine it will be fun, but not too rough. My overall plan is in 2 years I'd like to take 3 of the boys on a 5 day white water rafting trip through the Grand Canyon and then hike back up it. They should all be old enough by then and it should be a good time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Erica Nelson looks like an Alaskan native !
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •