Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This was a high school but the American Council of Education has a Rule Book:

An Academic Costume Code and An Academic Ceremony Guide:
    Some Permissible Exceptions

Only members of the governing body of a college or university, whatever their degrees, are entitled to wear doctor's gowns (with black velvet), but their hoods may be only those of degrees actually held by the wearers or those especially prescribed for them by the institution.
    The chief marshal may wear a specially designed costume approved by the institution.
    It is customary in many large institutions for the hood to be dispensed with by those receiving bachelor's degrees.
    Persons who hold degrees from foreign universities may wear the entire appropriate academic costume, including cap, gown, and hood.
    Members of religious orders may suitably wear their customary habits. The same principle applies to persons wearing military uniforms or clad in special attire required by a civil office.
    It is recommended that collegiate institutions that award degrees, diplomas, or certificates below the baccalaureate level use caps and gowns of a light color, e.g., light gray.

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    By the rules you are correct. I'm arguing the stupidity of the rule in it's application to this particular case. The school should have the common sense and respect to say "you guys busted your butts, you gained a position of respect, and we give you the right to display that position in a dignified manner i.e. wearing dress uniforms at during the graduation."
    And my high school said no shorts on graduation day, because it looks like you ain't got nothing on underneath your robe.
    I assume that you've seen the Porky's movies. :D

Normally, I'm extremely sensitive to the issue of disrespect to the uniform, but in this case, I don't see it. The issue is uniformity and the school was enforcing a common uniform standard, a cap and gown for crossing the stage. The school also offered to let them lead the honor guard in uniform, which tells me that they weren't discriminating against military personnel or showing disrespect for the uniform. Unfortunately, if the school had given in, the following year, some moonbat would have sued for the right to wear a Code Pink outfit. It's the times that we live in, unfortunately.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I assume that you've seen the Porky's movies. :D

Normally, I'm extremely sensitive to the issue of disrespect to the uniform, but in this case, I don't see it. The issue is uniformity and the school was enforcing a common uniform standard, a cap and gown for crossing the stage. The school also offered to let them lead the honor guard in uniform, which tells me that they weren't discriminating against military personnel or showing disrespect for the uniform. Unfortunately, if the school had given in, the following year, some moonbat would have sued for the right to wear a Code Pink outfit. It's the times that we live in, unfortunately.
    That possibility did cross my mind. I do think that it would be very easy to allow the service men their uniforms this year, and make it a priority in the next school board meeting to lay down a very, very strict definition of what uniforms may be worn at graduation. Odds are the school will get sued for something, they may as well pick what it will be and stand up for something right.

And no, I never have actually sat down and watched Porky's. I've seen bits and pieces, but never the whole thing at once. And I think I can live with that. :)