1. #1 The F-35 Costs Even More When You Fly It 
    The bad news on the F-35 fighter jet is even worse than it sounds.

The cost of the program, already the most expensive weapons system the Pentagon has ever fielded, is estimated to climb further—to at least $406.5 billion. That’s according to a scoop by Bloomberg’s Anthony Capaccio, whose defense sourcing yielded advance access to a document called a Selected Acquisition Report. The report, which was submitted to Congress on Monday, estimates that procurement costs for the F-35 will come in about 7 percent higher than the last projection of $379 billion.

But acquisition—which refers to development and production of the futuristic planes—doesn’t tell the whole story. When operations and maintenance of the F-35 are factored in, the total will likely exceed $1.1 trillion over the decades to come. That reflects an increase of more than $35 billion. And that larger number could rise significantly if the Pentagon and the jet’s manufacturer, Lockheed Martin Corp., don’t address the F-35’s deteriorating reliability
    The article also reports that suppliers can’t keep up with expanding production while also fixing returned parts.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hen-you-fly-it

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Maybe so but how is it at vaporizing Mooselimbs?
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Remember the F 16 also had quite a few "issues" during her development. But just look at what she became! The 16 was even going to replace the A 10 in the ground support role. I thought that was the dumbest idea ever. The Warthog is my favorite plane of all time, she has proven herself time after time. "Go ugly early" I asways say.

My knock on the F 35 is that they may be trying to have her fill to many roles. It is very difficult to get that kind of performance from a single engine plane.
    Onward Thru the Fog

First of all, every plane in the USAF's and USN's inventory has operation and maintenance costs. Welcome to real life, Bloomberg-Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo55 View Post
    Remember the F 16 also had quite a few "issues" during her development. But just look at what she became! The 16 was even going to replace the A 10 in the ground support role. I thought that was the dumbest idea ever. The Warthog is my favorite plane of all time, she has proven herself time after time. "Go ugly early" I asways say.

My knock on the F 35 is that they may be trying to have her fill to many roles. It is very difficult to get that kind of performance from a single engine plane.
    In the late 70s both the F15 and F16 had horrible readiness rates. The two have the same engine, and there was a problem with the engine. And with a Congress and President bent on gutting the military budget (though Carter woke up the last year or so of his Presidency, IIRC).

The A-10 carries a lot of ordinance, is flexible in what it carries, has a long loiter time, is very survivable, and can still use its 30 mm with most of the electronic displays knocked out. The big knock is that it's relatively slow, and perceived as vulnerable to AAA. But its slowness also contributes to its effectiveness in delivering "eggs". USAF brass have hated and wanted to kill the A-10 since at least the late 70s, but it keeps showing how effective, flexible, and valuable it is. F-15s, F-16s, and F-18s can do a lot of close air support, but they don't have the loiter time the A-10 does, nor can they carry as much ordinance. The F-35 might replace the F-16, functionally, but I just don't see it being able to do all a Warthog can. The F-111 showed that fighter and CAS are such disparate roles that making a plane that is excellent at both is somewhere in the range of extremely difficult to impossible.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Every major weapons platform has always cost more than it was initially planned to cost, that's how the process works. You can look back and find a whole book full of failed systems that were scrapped after spending billions. In some cases the programs actually helped other newer platforms being able to use the technology that was invented because of that failed boondoggle. One of them was the F-111, it was never used in but one engagement that I can remember which was bombing Libya, but the history of that aircraft is much more important. The first five built were all lost due to a design flaw and those aircraft were all being tested in Vietnam. It was the first swept wing fighter bomber ever built and the wing pivot that allows the wings to swing back were breaking in flight and the wings flying off. They fixed that problem by simply making the same designs larger and able to withstand more stress.That same design found it's way into the new F-14 Tomcat and they never had any issues with the wing systems, they did have landing gear problems for carrier landings but that was fixed as well.

The next boondoggle was the Comanche Helicopter that was to replace our UH1 gunships as well as the cobras, one helicopter to take care of all the missions. It was a beast an could roll 360 degrees like a fighter aircraft and had a new rigid main rotor system that was necessary to allow the inverted flight. It was another man killer with several crashes of the test aircraft and was scrapped. I don't think it was the cost or the loss of life that scrapped that helicopter but the technology of that period was still not good enough to make it a viable replacement for the UH1 and cobra.

They had a gunner station behind the pilot and he sat in a rotating seat to operate the weapons and stay on target since we had no hi tech optical head sights as we use now. So in the end the helicopter was really no better than what we were using and flying upside down was totally useless. I think the only thing that was reused out of that project was the rigid blades testing. My favorite aircraft to talk badly about is the Osprey, I wouldn't fly on that thing if someone tried to force me to board by gunpoint, that's what I think about that flying coffin.

None of it is cheap, and if you don't stay ahead of the bad guys you are going to lose the next big one. It's easy for people who have never served the nation in the military to not support better weapons, but all of us veterans already know the game. All you have to do is look at the difference in our force structure when liberals are in charge and when conservatives finally come in to clean up their mess and ignorance. All the money in the world won't do you a damned bit of good if your dead or in a gulag ..

I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    My favorite aircraft to talk badly about is the Osprey, I wouldn't fly on that thing if someone tried to force me to board by gunpoint, that's what I think about that flying coffin.
    Yep.

Can't we just sell it to the Saudi Arabia and make a killing off parts

sent from my jitter bug