1. #1 Didn't eat at my relatives for Thanksgiving because of politics 
    link

louis c (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:14 PM
    Original message
    Didn't eat at my relatives for Thanksgiving because of politics
    Advertisements [?]First off, I had no intention of talking politics today. There is no need to when you win. I have cousins that all work for the government, yet they think they should be Republicans. You know the type, blue collar bigots. I'm in the private sector, but a strong union guy (President of my local). I worked up in New Hampshire during the campaign for Obama. As a matter of fact, it was written up in the local papers. My cousins' husbands are 2 custodians, a female cousin is another custodian, and her husband works for a group that is underwritten by government grants (CAPIC). What really is starling is that the only sibling that was for Obama owns a small business and is not invited to the family times because her boy friend is African-American. He also works in the private sector and was a strong Obama supporter. They had Thanksgiving at his folks house in the newly minted blue state of Virginia. So, here's the scorecard, all the folks who get paid with benefits from the government are working Republicans, and the working private sector group, are Obama Democrats. They all gave me shit, right up to the election and I haven't seen them since.

I work on Thanksgiving, they all have it off with pay, yet vote against themselves. I entered the house at around 4:30 PM. The first words out of my host's mouth were, "We'll have no politics or arguing today". I said "sure, have a nice Thanksgiving, I'll see you later" and left. Now my wife has to bring me a plate from
    her sister's house. At least they're all Democrats.
    louis c (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:27 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    4. I enjoyed the holiday
    They were all afraid I would rub it in. They won't get over this election for years. All they have to do is just see me smile and it will tick them off.

I love this country and it's great to be alive in this time.
    Probably projection. louis still isn't over 2000 and 2004 so he figures the Republicans are the same.
    auntsue (26 posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:26 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. Hmmmm you said
    you didn't want to talk politics yet were offened when your host said We'll have no political talk. I like to debate too and I'm glad "we" won. But on a holiday I think we could ALL just let it go. They know how you think and you know how they think so for one day we can all talk about something else - ya think ????
    louis c (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:30 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    6. My mom was there for 3 hours before I arrived
    Edited on Thu Nov-27-08 05:40 PM by louis c
    and all they did was talk politics, about how awful it will be under Obama.

Next, to be told what you can and can't say before you even get into a host's door can make you feel a tad uncomfortable, don't you think? It's his house and his rules, however, it's my life and I can choose to walk away, politely, wouldn't you say?
    DeschutesRiver (843 posts) Thu Nov-27-08 08:44 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    41. I second your post
    In fact, I ended up having to cut communications with numerous relatives who think bitching about race and acting negative is normal. Maybe for them, but there is no point for me to have to keep hearing and cutting through the racist crap in order to pull some good nuggets out of these relationships. Done the same with some people with which I formerly did business; and ended a hobby that involved being with people who couldn't separate their racial bias from enjoying the hobby. Not everyone there was like that, but it doesn't take more than a group of two or three sharing their idiot views to tank any fun to be had. Some were uneducated; others were educated but not very well; most of them had a healthy amount of wealth.

I have come to the point where I won't even argue the racist point with these freaks. I just ostracize them by eliminating any future contact. And I am doubly on the lookout now for that - esp. with people I do business with, or buy products or services for my daily needs from. The economy is in the shitter, and my bucks won't go to support people who are mentally unstable about the race issue - it consumes some of them, and it is beyond a "point of view" deal.

It is a backward looking, negative thinking kind of lifestyle which has no place in my universe. Life is way too short to have to pretend everything is okay with relatives/friends/business people spouting racist or negative crap in front of me.
    Amazing how just about every "evil Republican relative" thread has relatives who are "racist" and say the "N" word. Kinda like how they cried racism against ANYONE who said they would not vote for Obama or who said they didn't agree with his policies.
    louis c (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:37 PM
    Response to Reply #5
    10. We have always talked politics at gatherings, for years
    Edited on Thu Nov-27-08 05:37 PM by louis c
    There was no "no politics" rule on 2000 or 2004, just this time. I left because I felt uncomfortable. They were there for 4 hours but told me this in front of everyone. I felt uncomfortable, and left. I never said I felt insulted. Uncomfortable. You see, politics was all right when they all agreed, but when I arrived, they're bigoted nonsense would be confronted. If they said nothing, I would have done the same. However, I will not let ignorant, bigoted statements ever go unchallenged in my presence, and they know it.
    Louis...they're probably all sick of your yearly rants about President Bush and conservatives.
    Warpy (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:36 PM
    9. They are determined to go out of their way to be assholes
    and either you risk ulcers by swallowing your resentment along with dinner or you leave.

Maybe someday they'll decide to rejoin the human race. I hope for your sake that they do.

Next time, have Thanksgiving at your house and invite all the Democrats.
    zorahopkins (593 posts) Thu Nov-27-08 05:53 PM
    16. Next Time, Do This
    Next time, do this --

Invite all your relatives to your place.

Be sure to invite the African-American boyfriend, and tell him to bring along lots and lots of his friends.

Have several big "We Love Obama" posters throughout your house.

Make jokes about how stupid Republicans are.

Tell them if they don't like it, they can leave -- and have them leave BEFORE you serve any food or beer to them.

I can't even imagine how awful it would be to be so consumed with politics that you can't enjoy a family meal together during the holidays Freaking grow up DUmmies. Discuss things in grown up manner, or decided not to participate. Start a discussion with your uncle about football or complement your mom on sweet potatoes if you don't want to discuss politics.

I got together with some of my best friends last night, and they are all Democrats. Politics came up once, and we somehow managed not to argue.

I went out with some other friends on Monday. Politics came up and we were pretty evenly divided, and we had some great discussion, and we all left happy and friendly. Politics doesn't have to be war, even when you disagree.

Family and friends far more important than proving that your political views are right

Got some news DUmbass. If someone puts politics ahead of family doesn't get invites to any family functions in my family.

I do know families, that once the wine starts to flow, the discussion turns to politics.

Everyone ends up pissed off at each other.

Boy they really grasp the reason for the season, don't they?

Hey Louis: I ate Thanksgiving yesterday with my buddies at the chow hall, then went back to work. You blew a shot to be with family while mine is 5000 miles away. Schmuck.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Original message
    Didn't eat at my relatives for Thanksgiving because of politics
    Advertisements [?]First off, I had no intention of talking politics today. There is no need to when you win. I have cousins that all work for the government, yet they think they should be Republicans. You know the type, blue collar bigots. I'm in the private sector, but a strong union guy (President of my local). I worked up in New Hampshire during the campaign for Obama. As a matter of fact, it was written up in the local papers. My cousins' husbands are 2 custodians, a female cousin is another custodian, and her husband works for a group that is underwritten by government grants (CAPIC). What really is starling is that the only sibling that was for Obama owns a small business and is not invited to the family times because her boy friend is African-American. He also works in the private sector and was a strong Obama supporter. They had Thanksgiving at his folks house in the newly minted blue state of Virginia. So, here's the scorecard, all the folks who get paid with benefits from the government are working Republicans, and the working private sector group, are Obama Democrats. They all gave me shit, right up to the election and I haven't seen them since.

I work on Thanksgiving, they all have it off with pay, yet vote against themselves. I entered the house at around 4:30 PM. The first words out of my host's mouth were, "We'll have no politics or arguing today". I said "sure, have a nice Thanksgiving, I'll see you later" and left. Now my wife has to bring me a plate from
    But aparently it's ok to run your mouth about politics over the holidays when you lose which what the OP probably did for the last 8 years and what earned him the don't talk politics warning. Now if he was going to talk politics then why was he so offended by the warning.

I call shenanigans on this bouncy.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Ahhhhh...The Thanksgiving Day family tales from the DUmp.

Only to be out done by the Christmas Day family tales from the DUmp!!!:D

Louis c:
    I have cousins that all work for the government, yet they think they should be Republicans.
    Oh brother...what a moron.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I love these threads!!

We talk politics at the holidays. Oddly enough, even the in-laws at my holiday were republican. It did sort of surprise me, if for no other reason than statistically I would have thought there would be some democrats (other than my sister...but she voted for McCain and Bush in 2004).

Politics are fun. The only real "disagreements" I would have in my family over politcs were when my grandfather was alive, as he was a blue dog Democrat. He and I would always go at it. But since he was (and still is, god rest his soul) my favorite person in the entire world, it was all in good fun. It always ended with me pulling the trump card with abortion, at which point he'd surrender with a shrug and declare all politicians crooks, so what are you going to do.

It was classic, almost pre-scripted with he and I and we enjoyed it. There are plenty of other reasons that my family will get on my nerves at times, but politics is not one of them. Life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

I call shenanigans on this bouncy.
    This seemed like a bouncy from the gitgo.

Moonbats have others behaive as they would; which is tip off that its fake.

Just another Denizen trying to impress the rest of the monkey house with a piece of bad fiction.

One of these days I'd like to see one these bouncy truly entertaining.

Like " I got into a bar fight with a local gay biker gang ( the Spar Puppies). I was me against all seventy-five of them. I, of course whipped all their asses, even thou I was hit a hundred and four chair , eighteen tables, a screaming midget, a blind pitbull and a flaming chainsaw. Many of the bikers are in ICU, while I only walked away with slight scratch to my little toe. As a matter of recourse I'm suing the bar, the gas station across the street and several people who were driving by. "
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 11-28-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Original message
    ... The first words out of my host's mouth were, "We'll have no politics or arguing today". I said "sure, have a nice Thanksgiving, I'll see you later" and left. Now my wife has to bring me a plate from
    So neither family wants this clown, even the Dims. Bet his wife has to sneak the food out.