Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Winsome Wednesday. 
    Astonishing progress has been made in my ongoing effort to create a Sunset magazine-type yard. It's still not Sunset-worthy but it's getting there. I have 2 very minor projects to complete and then I will turn my attention to the lawn - perhaps with the aid of a blowtorch. :D

TOTD: Aside from eating them, tell me about your most notable successes or failures in the plant department. If you have never intentionally grown a plant but you've inadvertently (or deliberately) killed some, tell me about that.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I've had an aloe plant for a decade now. He is my only success story.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Astonishing progress has been made in my ongoing effort to create a Sunset magazine-type yard. It's still not Sunset-worthy but it's getting there. I have 2 very minor projects to complete and then I will turn my attention to the lawn - perhaps with the aid of a blowtorch. :D

TOTD: Aside from eating them, tell me about your most notable successes or failures in the plant department. If you have never intentionally grown a plant but you've inadvertently (or deliberately) killed some, tell me about that.

Ms G and I shared a grapefruit one Sunday afternoon before we got married. (38 years ago) We saved the seeds and grew a little tree in a pot. During our first couple years of marriage we lived in an apartment but kept the plant. When we bought our first home we knew we would only be living in it for a couple of years so we kept the plant in the pot. In 1974 we bought a house that we knew we were going to live for awhile so we planted the one foot tall tree in the front yeard.

Over the next few years the tree grew to a large size. When we moved we had a professional do a cutting on the tree and planted that at our new home. That tree also grew to a large size.

When we moved to Washington state we again potted a little cutting from the tree. The potted tree did wel lindoors in Washington State because we took well care of it. We brought it back and planted it in our yeard where it thrives today.

We figure that our marriage will last as long as the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Ms G and I shared a grapefruit one Sunday afternoon before we got married. (38 years ago) We saved the seeds and grew a little tree in a pot. During our first couple years of marriage we lived in an apartment but kept the plant. When we bought our first home we knew we would only be living in it for a couple of years so we kept the plant in the pot. In 1974 we bought a house that we knew we were going to live for awhile so we planted the one foot tall tree in the front yeard.

Over the next few years the tree grew to a large size. When we moved we had a professional do a cutting on the tree and planted that at our new home. That tree also grew to a large size.

When we moved to Washington state we again potted a little cutting from the tree. The potted tree did wel lindoors in Washington State because we took well care of it. We brought it back and planted it in our yeard where it thrives today.

Now that is a success story! :D

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post

That is actually a really nice story, gator.

I made the decision yesterday to start looking for other employment. My distaste for my current place of work has been building for some time and it kind of came to a head yesterday. So my day will be spent scouring the online job listings for various organizations.

I have done any job hunting in a while. I've applied for positions here and there but nothing serious. I'm kind of nervous.

TOTD: I had house plants. Had being the operative word here.

TOTD: If it's green and growing, I'll kill it. Ususally with just a look.

Except for our vegetable garden. For some reason, if it's something I can eat, I can make it grow.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I made the decision yesterday to start looking for other employment. My distaste for my current place of work has been building for some time and it kind of came to a head yesterday. So my day will be spent scouring the online job listings for various organizations.

I have done any job hunting in a while. I've applied for positions here and there but nothing serious. I'm kind of nervous.

TOTD: I had house plants. Had being the operative word here.
    Good luck, Jen. There is nothing I hate more than looking for a job.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Hot and humid as hell out today as I hose out and sanitize the cat's litter box....at friggin' 10am...I love Florida summers! :p

TOTD: I was lucky enough to learn a lot about plants and gardening from my mother (but I've probably forgotten some of it now), and we planted a fairly sizable vegetable garden when I was a kid (from scratch...the garden, I mean...dug up the sod, seeded, made the chicken-wire fencing, everything) and grew lettuces, green beans, herbs, broccoli, tomatoes. My parents don't have the garden anymore but they have a veritable tropical rain forest at home, and they have a fairly flourishing Key Lime tree in the backyard and still grow some herbs in pots (the legal kind).

We started trying to pretty up our yard over the past year and have had some success...some not. The previous owners did NOTHING to the yard except mow the grass. We're still working on killing the weeds. I would say my recent failure would be (somehow) killing a plumbago plant I bought and replanted into a pot previously home to a queen palm (which sat on our back porch) that our cat Jasper decided to slowly torture and destroy. I think I may have overwatered the plumbago and killed it (hey, I didn't know...I watered it every few days when it looked like it needed it, but my mom said it is drought tolerant....I dunno...) I got a another queen palm and yanked out the dead plumago and added some fresh potting soil. This one will reside OUTSIDE the porch and away from Jasper's teeth (apparently he likes the taste of queen palm).
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Don't know if anyone noticed I was gone but I am alive! Lightening hit my computer and it is DEAD. (Smoke and burning smell - :()

Don't know when I will be back, stopped at my Mom's just to say hello to everyone.

Happpy Birthday vetwife, tomorrow is my day. Maybe the computer gods will send me a new laptop!