Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Court: Sect children to return to their parents 
    Court: Sect children to return to their parents
    About 440 children seized from West Texas polygamist compound
    The Texas Supreme Court ruled Thursday that children taken from a polygamist sect's ranch should be returned to their parents, saying child welfare officials overstepped their authority.

The high court affirmed a decision by an appellate court last week, saying Child Protective Services failed to show an immediate danger to the more than 400 children swept up from the Yearning For Zion Ranch nearly two months ago.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24878696/

I feel sick.
    Have you seen the pictures of Jeffs (their PROPHET) kissing his 12 and 14 year olf wives???

A partial retort http://www.reason.com/news/show/126710.html

CPS claimed 31 underage girls at the ranch were pregnant or mothers. It recently conceded that at least 15 of them are in fact adults, ranging in age from 18 to 27, while a 14-year-old on the list is not pregnant and has no children. A.P. reports "more mothers listed as underage are likely to be reclassified as adults."

In any case, as the appeals court noted, "teenage pregnancy, by itself, is not a reason to remove children from their home and parents." In Texas the minimum age for marriage with parental consent is 16 (raised from 14 in 2005 with the FLDS in mind), and "there was no evidence regarding the marital status of these girls when they became pregnant or the circumstances under which they became pregnant."

Read rest at link.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Aklover View Post
    A partial retort http://www.reason.com/news/show/126710.html

CPS claimed 31 underage girls at the ranch were pregnant or mothers. It recently conceded that at least 15 of them are in fact adults, ranging in age from 18 to 27, while a 14-year-old on the list is not pregnant and has no children. A.P. reports "more mothers listed as underage are likely to be reclassified as adults."

In any case, as the appeals court noted, "teenage pregnancy, by itself, is not a reason to remove children from their home and parents." In Texas the minimum age for marriage with parental consent is 16 (raised from 14 in 2005 with the FLDS in mind), and "there was no evidence regarding the marital status of these girls when they became pregnant or the circumstances under which they became pregnant."

Read rest at link.

Sounds like FLDS should institute a lawsuit against the state,the county and every agency involved in federal court for descrimination based on religous beliefs.

Freedon of religion is constututionally protected and they will have little trouble proving their case in a federal court.The idiot who called and made the initial charges most likely hasn't a dime and wouldn't be worth mentioning in the suit except for breaking the law and for that she should be prosecuited .

This whole thing smelled from the very begining even to the secret charges made by an unknown caller and the Texas child protection bureau went with that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

Sounds like FLDS should institute a lawsuit against the state,the county and every agency involved in federal court for descrimination based on religous beliefs.

Freedon of religion is constututionally protected and they will have little trouble proving their case in a federal court.The idiot who called and made the initial charges most likely hasn't a dime and wouldn't be worth mentioning in the suit except for breaking the law and for that she should be prosecuited .

This whole thing smelled from the very begining even to the secret charges made by an unknown caller and the Texas child protection bureau went with that alone.

I have mixed feelings about this because I have no doubt there are some sick perverts in these cults but at the same time people deserve to be protected from the state. I guess it is better that a few sickos slip through to keep a check on the state and its systems.

Eyelids
    I am really pissed off about this, they way the appeal was shot down suggests these loony-toons found some loophole to exploit and the courts were powerless. I feel awful for those kids, they'll never have a shot at life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    I am really pissed off about this, they way the appeal was shot down suggests these loony-toons found some loophole to exploit and the courts were powerless. I feel awful for those kids, they'll never have a shot at life.

The state could not produce evidence and acted on a suspicion admittedly due to bias. Suspicion does not equal guilt.

a few sickos?? now I remember why I don't go to church

Members of the FLDS faith follow Jeffs and believe they must follow his counsel.

I consulted child psychologists and other persons who are much more educated and aware of their beliefs than I am, said Voss, referring to Musser and Perry. They (FLDS faithful) get direction from Warren Jeffs and whatever he says, they will do.

pedophile Jeffs had a home at YFZ before he went to prison.

Here he is with a few brides:

He's 52, she is 12!!!

Not for my daughter, Shouldn't be anyone's child.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    now I remember why I don't go to church
    Here's why I don't go.

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Here's why I don't go.

Link

She was a pitiful excuse for a "Christian"

Sadly, her daughter died in a car accident recently.

I thought I read somewhere that there was evidence of physical abuse as well. And, what ever happened to the boys who were forced to leave the compound?

This whole thing is very odd. I hope the children will be protected.