Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    We have a local woman (and her husband) who went over there to volunteer. She was devastated and said the kids were blossoming. Said they seemed drugged or mildly retarded when they arrived and did not laugh (that was a sin)

The news here are saying some individual charges will still be filed and CPS will still have some jurisdiction over the FLDSers taking the children away.

I think this is the right decision. The state completely overstepped their bounds in this one. They had absolutely no reason to take these children into custody based on nothing more than an anonymous phone call that turned out to be a hoax. We are now down to possibly 5 pregnant teenagers. Go into any neighborhood in Philly and tell me that you can't find 5 pregnant teenagers. Does that mean all the 2 year olds get taken from their mothers?

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    a few sickos?? now I remember why I don't go to church

pedophile Jeffs had a home at YFZ before he went to prison.

Here he is with a few brides:

He's 52, she is 12!!!

Not for my daughter, Shouldn't be anyone's child.
    Warren Jeffs is in jail.. he is being justly punished, as he should be.

Taking all of those children from their mothers, because Warren Jeffs is a sicko, was not warranted, IMO. I was mixed on this from the start, and the more I hear, the more it seems as if the state WAY overstepped their bounds. Nothing good came from this raid.

Should we raid the Asian Americans who still have family arranged marriages? I'm sure we still have some old school Asians in the USA who subscribe to that.

Do we go into the inner city and have DNA testing on all of the underage pregnant girls?

Although a lot of my family are LDS, I no particular interest in this offshoot cult. At the same time, I see no compelling reason to remove children and disrupt these "relationships". You might say that kids in this group are indoctrinated into the group belief and you'd be right but you could say just the same of any commune, intentional community, religious community, or utterly secular worldview.

These people marry off young girls to old men and that's repugnant to me but I find it equally repugnant that some groups sexually "initiate" young girls into gangs or human trafficking or MySpace profiles. It's all deviant to me.

These girls and women at least have some social role and economic safety-net. While I don't support it or cheerlead it, it's less revolting to me than some latch-key kid turning tricks for pocket change.

Eyelids
    Im more afraid of Christians than I am of Muslims. The radical way in which the Christian right of America threatens violence against anybody who disagrees with them doesnt sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Im more afraid of Christians than I am of Muslims. The radical way in which the Christian right of America threatens violence against anybody who disagrees with them doesnt sit well with me.
    I hope you are able to overcome your fears someday. That is no way to live.

Of course you are. Makes all the sense in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Warren Jeffs is in jail.. he is being justly punished, as he should be.

Taking all of those children from their mothers, because Warren Jeffs is a sicko, was not warranted, IMO. I was mixed on this from the start, and the more I hear, the more it seems as if the state WAY overstepped their bounds. Nothing good came from this raid.

Should we raid the Asian Americans who still have family arranged marriages? I'm sure we still have some old school Asians in the USA who subscribe to that.

Do we go into the inner city and have DNA testing on all of the underage pregnant girls?
    Well said!

CPS thinks they are above the law. I hope they get thier asses sued. They are a tyrannical service. I believe in protecting the kids but this outfit is drunk on their own power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I hope you are able to overcome your fears someday. That is no way to live.

I remember a quote something to the effect of "Pacifst are only pacifist til the winds change, then out comes the Jolly Roger". A little concern as to the means and motives of those in power is warranted, to fear it is pointless. Preperation and vigilence make life less surprising and difficult.

A little aside, people kill for the state just as often as they kill for god, most every Liberal overlooks this.

Blinky! You old dog! Glad to see you!

As far as I know, Christians don't actually kill their wayward sisters, send their girl children off to marriages in foreign countries, or genitally mutilate young girls. You may have missed that whole rioting and killing over a cartoon image that happened in Europe. Also, the almost continual private property destruction in France over trivial issues talked about in the papers (I guess they still read 'papers' over there) may have escaped your attention.

I live 60 miles away from the headquarters of Focus On The Family. Oddly, none of those people have forced me off the street for a high hem or a liquor purchase. Go figure.