1. #1 Washington creates the Purple Heart 
    On this day in 1782, in Newburgh, New York, General George Washington, the commander in chief of the Continental Army, creates the “Badge for Military Merit,” a decoration consisting of a purple, heart-shaped piece of silk, edged with a narrow binding of silver, with the word Merit stitched across the face in silver. The badge was to be presented to soldiers for “any singularly meritorious action” and permitted its wearer to pass guards and sentinels without challenge. The honoree’s name and regiment were also to be inscribed in a “Book of Merit.”
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...e-purple-heart

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Newburgh, is the home of West Point on the Hudson and I was there in the summer of 66. My Infantry company and an airborne Artillery unit went to spend the summer and help train new cadets. Originally I was outside main post at a summer camp that was on a nice little lake with a boardwalk pier just like you saw in the movies. The third day there they sent me TDY to main post and assigned me to the artillery unit for the summer and I moved in on the second floor of the provost marshals building where West Point at the time traditionally housed visiting sports teams. The upper floor had a long balcony on each end of the building that you could go out and look out across the Football stadium and the Hudson. The old stadium grounds and that building I lived in is still there after over 50 years. I have some wonderful memories of Newburgh it was then a small Andy of Mayberry town and actually only had two law officers. Our favorite hangout was at the very end of the main street which ran up to the main post gate at West Point. This little bar and grill was named the West Point Inn and it was a nice little place like bars you see in the movies. I've never been back since then and it has built up now wall to wall people but West Point has no property and they have used up just about every inch of land on post and it is not the same West Point that I knew then in 66. It was beautiful then and the same now and you feel all the ghost of all the great men who once walked the same paths at that very special place. You could walk up to a rock low wall and look out across the point where the famous chain was dropped under water to stop the British should they attempt to come into the Hudson. What a privilege it was to spend but one summer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    Newburgh, is the home of West Point on the Hudson and I was there in the summer of 66. My Infantry company and an airborne Artillery unit went to spend the summer and help train new cadets. Originally I was outside main post at a summer camp that was on a nice little lake with a boardwalk pier just like you saw in the movies. The third day there they sent me TDY to main post and assigned me to the artillery unit for the summer and I moved in on the second floor of the provost marshals building where West Point at the time traditionally housed visiting sports teams. The upper floor had a long balcony on each end of the building that you could go out and look out across the Football stadium and the Hudson. The old stadium grounds and that building I lived in is still there after over 50 years. I have some wonderful memories of Newburgh it was then a small Andy of Mayberry town and actually only had two law officers. Our favorite hangout was at the very end of the main street which ran up to the main post gate at West Point. This little bar and grill was named the West Point Inn and it was a nice little place like bars you see in the movies. I've never been back since then and it has built up now wall to wall people but West Point has no property and they have used up just about every inch of land on post and it is not the same West Point that I knew then in 66. It was beautiful then and the same now and you feel all the ghost of all the great men who once walked the same paths at that very special place. You could walk up to a rock low wall and look out across the point where the famous chain was dropped under water to stop the British should they attempt to come into the Hudson. What a privilege it was to spend but one summer there.
    The West Point Inn sounds nice.

Your service to our nation is greatly appreciated, thank you.