Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 10 missing, 5 injured after USS John S. McCain collides with tanker in Pacific 
    Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    25,630
    Ten sailors are missing and five injured after the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with a tanker east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, the U.S. Navy said late Sunday.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08...n-pacific.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Swamps of Southern La
    Posts
    703
    WTF is going on in our Navy ? this is unheard of , they have the most modern electronic navigation gear in the world and at this rate we won't have any guided missile frigates or destroyers left. It is pretty sure to be poor training and lax Captains. Or a better way to describe it , obummers navy after all the qualified good people were all purged. You tell me !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    51,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    WTF is going on in our Navy ? this is unheard of , they have the most modern electronic navigation gear in the world and at this rate we won't have any guided missile frigates or destroyers left. It is pretty sure to be poor training and lax Captains. Or a better way to describe it , obummers navy after all the qualified good people were all purged. You tell me !
    Obama put a woman who has never flown a plane in charge of the Airforce, there is no telling what he has done to the Navy.
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    FL & MO
    Posts
    51,334
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,338
    Re SR's pic, if the Brits hadn't used lightly armored battlecruisers as if they were more heavily armored battleships ...

    For now I'm willing to wait for relevant info to become known, but DC should be asking WTH questions.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Swamps of Southern La
    Posts
    703
    BBC news had an expert on this morning and they asked him what he thought was happening, he says the US Navy is depending too much on looking at monitors and not looking out the bridge window, pretty much sums it up for me too. Like the guy says all our ships have the best and even have night vision gear so not only this incident but the last two before it within this very short time span all were do to carelessness and some changes will be made you can bet on that. My first thought was who to hell was on watch ? on these three vessels that have had collisions recently. Bad enough our new small shallow draft Navy can't even make it to port without a Tow line, all have had major engine failures and they weren't even but a few miles out on their missions. Naturally they blamed it on the sailors but an engine failure like these are design flaws, the real story here is that the builders were all fans of hillary, I an mot making this up they supported her because they got the contracts to build these new craft. I still feel pretty good because several months ago a Russian aircraft carrier left port and along with it's other contingent of smaller ships was a couple of tow tugs just in case the aircraft carrier had a break down !!! true
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member cadillac shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,387
    This time it was the merchant-ship's fault... without knowing the radio-communication that was in-play. Starboard has the International right-of-way and the destroyer was hit on the starboard side, crossing to port. The merchant-ship is supposed to alter-course.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8 An interesting take on the Fitzgerald Incident 
    Senior Member Banacek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Connecticut
    Posts
    7,362
    Navy’s Report on Fitzgerald Collision Is Evidence Of Corruption

    Two months after the USS Fitzgerald’s June 18 collision with a freighter in the Sea Of Japan, the Navy announced that the ship’s commanding officer, executive officer, and senior enlisted man were being relieved of their positions. It cited “loss of confidence” in them, and released a lengthy report on what happened aboard the ship after the collision. That report, however, contains no hint of accusation of improper or insufficient behavior on anyone’s part. It is silent about what actions on the part of the Fitz led to the collision in the first place, citing “continuing investigation.”

    But the indisputable facts about the ship’s courses, speeds, and decisions prior to the collision were in the Navy’s hands the moment that it returned to Yokusuka, if not before. In sum the Navy, by punishing officers whose responsibility was merely formal and by avoiding discussion of who made what actual decisions, suggests to the attentive reader by what it says and by what it withholds, that it is hiding its own corporate responsibility.
    https://amgreatness.com/2017/08/20/n...ce-corruption/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    17,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    BBC news had an expert on this morning and they asked him what he thought was happening, he says the US Navy is depending too much on looking at monitors and not looking out the bridge window, pretty much sums it up for me too. Like the guy says all our ships have the best and even have night vision gear so not only this incident but the last two before it within this very short time span all were do to carelessness and some changes will be made you can bet on that. My first thought was who to hell was on watch ? on these three vessels that have had collisions recently. Bad enough our new small shallow draft Navy can't even make it to port without a Tow line, all have had major engine failures and they weren't even but a few miles out on their missions. Naturally they blamed it on the sailors but an engine failure like these are design flaws, the real story here is that the builders were all fans of hillary, I an mot making this up they supported her because they got the contracts to build these new craft. I still feel pretty good because several months ago a Russian aircraft carrier left port and along with it's other contingent of smaller ships was a couple of tow tugs just in case the aircraft carrier had a break down !!! true

    That sounds like a very reasonable explanation.

    My mom has one of those detectors on her car that she uses when she parallel parks on a street. I asked her if it picks up cars that are approaching. She wasn't sure. It still is good to look.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,086
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Re SR's pic, if the Brits hadn't used lightly armored battlecruisers as if they were more heavily armored battleships.
    Actually it was the way the crews handled the powder charges for the main guns that was determined to be the cause of the destruction of the three British battlecruisers at the Battle of Jutland. To increase the rate of fire, crews would stack the cordite charges in the turret. To make matters worse, it is thought that the crews also disabled the anti-flash doors from the turret to the magazines to make it easier to pass powder and shells from the magazine to the guns. With nothing to stop any fire from a hit on the turret flashing into the magazine, the British battlecruisers were floating bombs.
    Last edited by Zathras; 08-21-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

    Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •