1. #1 My old Missile Base 51 years ago 
    Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    A lot of photos here, some are from the San Francisco base that is now a museum, and a couple from Germany and White Sands, but the old raggedy ones that look like they have been deserted for 51 years was my base D50 in Alvarado Tx. My Base is the only of two that is still undisturbed and intact other than having the missiles radars and other things that you would see at the SF museum. They have tours there and all the people that work there are old veterans of AJAX and Nike Hercules. My pit was C and I was a missile crewman in the 7th slot which was a nice title for a pusher man. The Nukes had the RED nose cover over a sensitive gyro sensor and it hinged on one side and you had to be fast but at the same time remove it without damaging it, I think at the time in 67 it was around 4 thousand dollars , but our credit was good These suckers were just slightly under 12,000 lbs and when moving the entire magazine topside in a drill there is only two of us pushing them onto the elevator where at the topside other crewman would move them down to the end of the rails. After they were all topside the crew of 7 would go into the console room a tiny little heavily cemented enclosure that had a very thick blast door you closed behind you. No facilities water etc, and enough crated C Rations for 7 or 8 people to survive two weeks should there be a war and nuclear exchange. Not all of the sites were targeted because there were just too many for the russians to worry about. All the sites (4) overlapped the range of each one so no gaps existed even if one was hit. A professional photographer took the shots of my base and passed them off to me, I still have some I haven't found of the air compressor unit that kept the pit pressure above topside pressure so no fumes would be forced down into the pit . It would surely kill us because it was solid fuel ether boosters and very strong smelling. If you had a hang over you could just pull the plastic cap off one of the boosters and get a nice strong whiff of that ether and you were walking pretty straight again.

Thanks, love the pics. They have an almost Dr Strangelove feel. BTW, thank you for your service.

For almost 30 years I sold office equipment to the government and went into many government facilities in the St Louis area, including the former Defense Mapping Agency (then it was NIMA and now has another acronym) and at various facilities at Scott AFB. I've been behind those thick locked doors, in the "basements" of the facilities, had those red lights go off warning of the "uncleared" person going through. But your pics top them all. I will admit one of my "adventures" was a bit scary. Someone at the Mo Air Nat'l Guard waved me through a gate and gave me the wrong directions. All of a sudden I saw people running behind me, waving their arms. They had accidentally directed me in a path leading to a runway at Lambert Airport in St Louis. I never forgot that day---perhaps they didn't either.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Boy that brings back memorys , I was on a nike hurc site in Albany Ga. from 60 to 63.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Very cool pics, thanks for posting them as
    well as for your service to our country.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I'll have to check that base out the next trip north I take. I'm surprised with its location, all the underground stuff hasn't been scooped up for prepper housing. I know a lot of Kansas silos I drove by in the early seventies are now tricked out hideaways for some Kansas City elites.

I also join in offering thanks for your service. Out of my old HS gang, I'm the only one whose service was limited to ROTC (USAF). All the rest served in the mid sixties and beyond. One buddy retired as an officer professor at the AF academy.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Thanks to all of you for the kind replies, for me it was just something that came normal. I came close to making a career in the Army but at the very last moment I changed my mind, now I'm happy I returned to civilian life. My Group was all of Dallas Fort Worth area and we had batteries at Terrell Texas next door to Dallas, One at Fort Wolters Mineral Wells, mine of course in Alvarado and our headquarters was a small township at Duncanville Tx just a sip of coffee from Dallas. I still have some more great shots inside my pit but I have so much stuff stored and unorganized I haven't found them yet. Win7 had a terrible bug that messes up jpegs and all of my photos that were given to me started showing a long stretched color line so I had to take each one and change format to png and it renewed the photos. I don't think Microsoft ever fixed this problem and I can't remember the source I read up on to fix them. To show what a small world it is one of my platoon leaders in my gunship platoon left Vietnam two years before I left and he was a Captain then and they assigned him as a pilot for that base in San Francisco. He made a career of the Army and retired a full Colonel and he still flies one of our aircraft that was restored. I have a complete DVD he sent a few of us as mementos and I cut mine up into three sections. The final one was so short I just didn't bother to post it. I have these in my personal folder on vidmeup but sometimes the links get all twisted up and show one of my videos in the wrong order. Top to bottom here is 1-3

http://just-for-fun.vidmeup.com/view...0136962549.flv

http://just-for-fun.vidmeup.com/view...014ab405bd.flv

http://just-for-fun.vidmeup.com/view...0166f8a173.flv