1. #1 DUmmy praises Laura Bush's appearance on MTP, BDS ensues 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Apollo11 (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:38 PM
    Original message
    Laura Bush did a great job on MTP. I am glad she is speaking out for the women of Afghanistan.

I saw Laura Bush on Meet The Press today. Maybe I am being naive or maybe I am too much of a hippy. But I think the First Lady did a great job speaking about the situation in Afghanistan. She is making excellent use of her position to inform the US public about what is at stake in Afghanistan and why the US and other NATO countries should follow thru on their commitments to the people of that country, and especially the defense of women's rights including access to education and employment.

I logged on to DU to find out if anyone else had seen it, and I was kind of disappointed to see at least two threads disrespecting the First Lady.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4557615

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4561231

Folks - the Bush era is almost over. Obama won the election. Thank God (not that I believe in Him). It's time to let the bitterness go. I will never forgive Dubya or Cheney or Rumsfeld or Rove. But how does it help anyone to ignore the positive contribution that Laura Bush is making to public understanding of America's responsibilities towards the civilian population of Afghanistan - who for the most part are some of the poorest people in the world?

Thank you Laura for using your position to speak out for human rights and for the rights of women in Afghanistan!
    Don't forget folks, Bush Derangement Syndrome will be sticking around long after President Bush leaves office. Note the following wonderful posts:

DS1 (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:42 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. Fuck you, Laura
    BlooInBloo (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:42 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    3. What DS1 said.
    seemslikeadream (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:43 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    4. my thoughts EXACTLY

Edited on Sun Nov-30-08 05:44 PM by seemslikeadream
    TOO LITTLE TOO LATE

GO BACK TO YOUR MUDEROUS HUSBAND
    seemslikeadream (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:52 PM
    Response to Reply #17
    20. She is a worthless piece of crap standing by, enabling that psycho
    TomInTib(1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:45 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    9. That was going to be my reply.

But the OP was just to wacko for my limited vocabulary.

So I will second yours, DS1.

Tom
    CatWoman (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 06:14 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    45. can I get on this pile on?
    DS1 (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:44 PM
    8. Fuck you, Laura

not a dupe

Fuck you, Laura is the only rational response to this thread. Fuck you, Laura.
    Fire_Medic_Dave (1000+ posts)
    Sun Nov-30-08 05:46 PM
    13. If someone wrote FU Michelle on Freerepublic your heads would explode.

Grow up.

David
    :D

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Fire Medic Dave got it right.

Gotta love the DUmmies.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

hlthe2b (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-30-08 06:18 PM
    Response to Reply #44
    46. Yes... at the end of her husband's term and after they made things
    exponentially worse for them....
    Gee, I'm sure those girls whose lives are worth no more than the $100 bounty for "honor killing" contracts or who do not dare go to school for fear they too will be blinded and disfigured by acid poured in their face, or who have been allowed to burn alive in those same schools.... I'm betting that, had they seen Laura's little spiel on MTP, they, too would be impressed. I mean that is all that matters--well timed words, not action during 8 years of that administration.
    Are these people so dumb, out of touch and so hate filled that they either do not know or are unable to acknowledge that NO GIRLS WERE ALLOWED TO GO TO SCHOOL under the Talaban? Or that these girls were defiant in their determination to go to school knowing full well what could happen?

It was the ACTIONS of taking out the TALABAN that enabled these girls to go to school. And world pressure is a small part of what is going to keep them going to school. (In addition to fighting terrorism that many of the DUmmies don't think exists.)

They are so clueless and so hate filled that they can't even acknowledge something good that Laura Bush has done.

Kudos to Apollo11 for going against the crowd at DU.
    DS1 (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-30-08 05:44 PM
    8. Fuck you, Laura
    not a dupe

Fuck you, Laura is the only rational response to this thread. Fuck you, Laura.
    Gee, I can hardly wait to say over and over again "Fuck you Michelle Obama" whenever she says something publically (or simply shows her face in public) because I don't like Obama or his policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Are these people so dumb, out of touch and so hate filled that they either do not know or are unable to acknowledge that NO GIRLS WERE ALLOWED TO GO TO SCHOOL under the Talaban? Or that these girls were defiant in their determination to go to school knowing full well what could happen?

It was the ACTIONS of taking out the TALABAN that enabled these girls to go to school. And world pressure is a small part of what is going to keep them going to school. (In addition to fighting terrorism that many of the DUmmies don't think exists.)

They are so clueless and so hate filled that they can't even acknowledge something good that Laura Bush has done.

Kudos to Apollo11 for going against the crowd at DU.
    Gee, I can hardly wait to say over and over again "Fuck you Michelle Obama" whenever she says something publically (or simply shows her face in public) because I don't like Obama or his policies.
    That's the thing. I don't think that these people really understand that the people currently committing atrocities and acts of terror in Afghanistan are the same people who terrorized the nation for so long. Under the Taliban, girls could not go to school, women could not work outside the home, women could not even leave their house without a male relative.

By overthrowing the Taliban, the US and their allies have given Afghan women a chance, and I pray that all of the world will collectively support their efforts. Those poor girls and women who had acid thrown on them were victims of men who want women to return to the horribly oppressed status they held under the Taliban. Even now, girls are highly underrepresented in Afghan schools, and that is really only something that time, education, and international pressure over the long term can resolve.

I applaud the First Lady's efforts to ensure that situation of women and girls in Afghanistan continue to improve, and like Apollo11, I'm glad to see her using the weight of her position in an effort to positively influence the lives of so many. I hope that Michelle Obama will use her position to continue to support the Afghan people.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    That's the thing. I don't think that these people really understand that the people currently committing atrocities and acts of terror in Afghanistan are the same people who terrorized the nation for so long. Under the Taliban, girls could not go to school, women could not work outside the home, women could not even leave their house without a male relative.

By overthrowing the Taliban, the US and their allies have given Afghan women a chance, and I pray that all of the world will collectively support their efforts. Those poor girls and women who had acid thrown on them were victims of men who want women to return to the horribly oppressed status they held under the Taliban. Even now, girls are highly underrepresented in Afghan schools, and that is really only something that time, education, and international pressure over the long term can resolve.

I applaud the First Lady's efforts to ensure that situation of women and girls in Afghanistan continue to improve, and like Apollo11, I'm glad to see her using the weight of her position in an effort to positively influence the lives of so many. I hope that Michelle Obama will use her position to continue to support the Afghan people.

I don't know how anyone can object to the efforts in Afganistan, liberal or conservative. 9-11 gave the west the reason to deal with it, if there wasn't ample reason beforehand. I argued about this with my mother over the weekend-she stated "violence never solves anything". I said 1. The people who directed the 9-11 attacks were being supported and hidden by the Taliban and 2. The Taliban's treatment of women and female children was violent and had to be stopped. I told her she can go reason with crazy men, but I'll stick with military intervention in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know how anyone can object to the efforts in Afganistan, liberal or conservative. 9-11 gave the west the reason to deal with it, if there wasn't ample reason beforehand. I argued about this with my mother over the weekend-she stated "violence never solves anything". I said 1. The people who directed the 9-11 attacks were being supported and hidden by the Taliban and 2. The Taliban's treatment of women and female children was violent and had to be stopped. I told her she can go reason with crazy men, but I'll stick with military intervention in this case.

Violence while not always the answer often solves things. WWII comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    Violence while not always the answer often solves things. WWII comes to mind.

Yeah, I pointed that out to my mom, as she was a little kid during WWII. I asked her if we were supposed to just let Hitler kill all the jews in Europe, including those who were related to her? And, if not, how were we supposed to stop him without using violence? She didn't have any answers to that, because she knows she's wrong.

Of course, we don't want our kids using violence to solve daily problems. But force sometimes has to be used to keep quarreling children apart.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Yeah, I pointed that out to my mom, as she was a little kid during WWII. I asked her if we were supposed to just let Hitler kill all the jews in Europe, including those who were related to her? And, if not, how were we supposed to stop him without using violence? She didn't have any answers to that, because she knows she's wrong.

Of course, we don't want our kids using violence to solve daily problems. But force sometimes has to be used to keep quarreling children apart.
    Targeted, specific and controlled acts of violence are very effective in solving many problems.
    This is one of the areas that my wife and I disagree.
    There was a boy that repeatedly knocked my daughter (and other little girls) down on the playground at recess (kindergarten.) After numerous skinned knees, scuffed shoes and torn stockings (school uniforms) and my daughter coming home crying about the ruined clothes (she was afraid she would get in trouble) I had had enough. The teacher had been told of the boy doing this by several parents, either nothing was done, or nothing that was done was effective. I told my daughter that if it happens again to punch the boy in the nose as hard as she can and he will not do it again.

My wife spazzed. "OMG I can't believe you told her that, she will get into trouble, she will think that violence is ok...more or less "oh the huge manatee (thats a humanity drama joke btw)"

I stuck to my guns... and told Brianna to pop the boy a good one if he did it again.

Well, he did and much to my surprise, she popped him in the jaw, I think she was aiming for the nose and missed). He fell down, cried and I got called into the office.

Long story short I got a lecture about "violence solving nothing, and we have to teach children respect and tolerance and blah blah blah..."

That was last November, the boy is still in her class and hasn't done it since.

Sometimes, we have to teach our kids that they have to stand up for themselves. If more people learned to actually stand and fight for what they believe in, were willing to work to provide for what they and their family need, and didn't rely on the intercession of government or authority to carry the day for them, there would be a lot less liberals in the world.

On the flip side, my Dad told me to hit a bully and he would leave me alone. Well, he pummeled me a good one after I hit him. But I never backed down... and never got the "respect" for standing up to him. I just had to find a way to win the fight. I never did, he moved.
    "If you're going through Hell... Keep on going"-Rodney Atkins