Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 15 states, DC sue Trump administration over ending DACA 
    link

DonViejo (31,018 posts) 15 states, DC sue Trump administration over ending DACA

Source: Associated Press

LARRY NEUMEISTER and GENE JOHNSON
    Associated PressSeptember 6, 2017

NEW YORK (AP) — Fifteen states and the District of Columbia sued Wednesday to block President Donald Trump's plan to end a program protecting young immigrants from deportation — an act Washington state's attorney general called "a dark time for our country."

The lawsuit was filed in the Eastern District of New York. The plaintiffs were New York, Massachusetts, Washington, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia.

On Tuesday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said a program, known as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or DACA, will end in six months to give Congress time to find a legislative solution for the immigrants. The participants were brought to the U.S. illegally as children or came with families who overstayed visas.

Those already enrolled in DACA remain covered until their permits expire. If their permits expire before March, 5, 2018, they are eligible to renew them for another two years as long as they apply by Oct. 5. But the program isn't accepting new applications.

Read more: https://www.yahoo.com/news/washingto...cation-brknews
    Fast track it through the courts, and end it immediately when it's declared unconstitutional because of the way it was done. Forget the 6 month lead to let congress deal with it. Democrats are throwing a hissy fit, let them bear the blame for ending it without legislation.

This lawsuit has problems:

The Supreme Court announced a 4-4 decision in a case
    challenging President Obama’s plan to shield as many as
    five million unauthorized immigrants from deportation and
    to allow them to work in the United States. The decision
    leaves in place an appeals court ruling blocking the president’s
    ambitious plan, dealing a sharp blow to a program that
    Mr. Obama had hoped would be one of his central legacies.
    DACA has been blocked all the way up to the USSC while its constitutionality is litigated. But DACA was an EO, and an EO can undo it. Courts can overturn EOs that violate the USC, but cannot force the President to write one or obey one.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

As I understand it, what Obama did was unconstitutional in the first place. You don't alter existing laws with executive orders. The law seems pretty clear that if you want to come to the USA, there is a well defined process that gets you here. It doesn't happen quickly, it doesn't happen easily, but if you want to do it by the rules it will come to pass eventually. I've been through the process with my wife and my daughter so I'm speaking from experience her not talking out of my ass. I was born here, my youngest was born here, my wife and my oldest were born in Africa. It ain't cheap, but get with the program people! We have rules and laws, and that prevents anarchy...play it by the rules and you become a productive member of society and a welcomed immigrant. Play it the wrong way, and you get what you get.....I don't care if the parents played it wrong or not, it's still not the way you do it!

B

Fifteen states and the District of Columbia sued Wednesday to block President Donald Trump's plan to end a program protecting young immigrants from deportation
    15 states and a non voting district desperately trying to be relevant.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I believe all this "mock outrage" is being
    directed at the wrong President.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I feel sorry for the law-clerks and other legal-lackies that will be forced to write the opening arguments... against The Constitution.

On the other hand, no I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    As I understand it, what Obama did was unconstitutional in the first place. You don't alter existing laws with executive orders. The law seems pretty clear that if you want to come to the USA, there is a well defined process that gets you here. It doesn't happen quickly, it doesn't happen easily, but if you want to do it by the rules it will come to pass eventually. I've been through the process with my wife and my daughter so I'm speaking from experience her not talking out of my ass. I was born here, my youngest was born here, my wife and my oldest were born in Africa. It ain't cheap, but get with the program people! We have rules and laws, and that prevents anarchy...play it by the rules and you become a productive member of society and a welcomed immigrant. Play it the wrong way, and you get what you get.....I don't care if the parents played it wrong or not, it's still not the way you do it!

B

I have friends that have went through and continue to follow the legal steps to live and work here. Luckily their employer helped with some of the costs. It was expensive and when their daughter turned 21 she had to return to the Philippines while she was a full time college student in Las Vegas as she was kicked off her parents legal status and she had to start her own. It kind of blind sided them as they thought it was all good to go as they had a pretty good lawyer keeping an eye on things.

The husband of this family is running a gun shop for Armscor/Rock Island Armory and works long hours as their master gunsmith.

Not sure what their basis of claiming standing might be, the States are not directly harmed and immigration is a matter wholly within Federal authority.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Not sure what their basis of claiming standing might be, the States are not directly harmed and immigration is a matter wholly within Federal authority.
    Kamala Harris was CA's AG until she was foolishly elected US Senator. Her replacement isn't particularly more intelligent; I assume CA is a party to this waste of $$ and people resources, so I similarly assume the AGs of the other 14 states are roughly as intelligent as Kammy.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    excellent point DAT.

All these states that push back and refuse to assist ICE by saying that enforcing immigration is a Federal matter are now trying to dictate how immigration is to be enforced via lawsuits. You can't have it both ways.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM