1. #1 What is the right thing to do if it's determined that the Russians colluded with the 
    link

Baitball Blogger (26,622 posts)

What is the right thing to do if it's determined that the Russians colluded with the Trump campaign?

I know my position may not be a popular one, but, maybe it's because I grew up in a country where military dictators were the norm that I expect better from our country. If the Russians and Trump campaign are found to have colluded, then I believe the Trump presidency is illegitimate. If he is not the legitimate president, then the line of succession doesn't make sense. What does make sense is formally giving the position to the legitimate candidate.

Why are we afraid to "go there"? Just because there is no precedent? No offense, but that's not good enough. We put a man on the moon by being fearless. We are going to have to be fearless about correcting a great wrong.
    By installing Hillary because liberals consider Trump to be "illegitimate"?

lapfog_1 (16,887 posts)

2. We have no constitutional mechasim

To award the presidency to someone who came in second in the electoral college.

At this point what we should do is take back the house, impeach both trump and pence, convict and remove in the senate and then the speaker of the house becomes president.
    Orrex (56,152 posts)

4. The fact that Republicans are taking no action against him...

and that they're actively working against taking any action against him, tells us either that they are completely beholden to Russia themselves, or else they have already stolen the 2018 election and therefore have no reason to fear electoral consequences for their inaction.

It is also entirely possible that both are true.
    Why would Republicans "take action" against him when there has been NOTHING proven, just lots and lots of liberal speculation and crystal ball gazers who "just know" he's done all these "awful and illegal" things.?
    Baitball Blogger (26,622 posts)

18. This is the point of the post: What happens if the investigation determines

that Russian collusion did go as far as change ballot totals?

What if it turns out that he was not legitimately elected?
    What if...what if....what if.....what if......what if......?????

MineralMan (98,356 posts) 3. Elections are the final resource and the final check and balance.

That's why we have them every two years for the entire House of Representatives and every four years for the President.

If all else fails, our Constitution provides us with a way to replace all elected officials at the next election for that office.

Beyond Constitutional means, there is no way to affect the presidency, other than impeachment and removal, until the next election. The same is true for Congress.

But, we do have those elections, so I recommend getting to work on electing replacements right now.
    Orrex (56,152 posts)

5. The final *legal* resource

I reject that other method as being morally repugnant, but it should be recognized that prominent Republicans were happy to suggested extra-Constitutional means of removing President Obama (a la Ted Nugent) and the then-candidate Hillary Clinton (a la Donald Trump).

We shouldn't ignore that option because we must be conscious of the fact that idiot racist fuckheads have already considered it for their own purposes.
    MineralMan (98,356 posts)

12. Power gained illegitimately will always be illegitimate.

We must gain power in a legitimate and recognized way. We can do it, if we have the will to do it. The only real question is one of will.

There are no alternative methods that are legitimate.
    Orrex (56,152 posts)

15. Yes, but...

Republicans have already gained power illegitimately, many times over.

I am confident that they will continue to do so regardless of our efforts to the contrary.

They control the congress and most governorships, they control the courts and the press, and they control the companies that own the voting machines. Illegitimate or not, they have a stranglehold on power, and they will do anything to keep it.
    It's called winning elections. Shockingly (to liberals) calling people names, demonizing them and claiming they are "racist" and "sexist" and "evil" among others doesn't result in them voting your way.
    rock (12,481 posts)

6. I agree

The trump presidency would be nullified. All activity that resulted from it should be backed off. A legitimate successor should be selected and we proceed from there.
    Initech (62,678 posts)

8. We need to hold our own Nuremburg style trials.

bettyellen (43,664 posts)

11. I love this idea.
    delisen (1,470 posts)

21. Fearless and Imaginative.

We need to focus not just on the "letter of the law" but also on the "spirit of the law."

The Constitution was not written with the intent that it should be a barrier achieving Justice yet many people seem to see it as such and immediately jump to the conclusion that nothing can be done because the Constitution says such and such.

Well, there is nothing in the Constitution that states that a majority leader in the Senate can devise a new rule that in the last year of a president's term the Senate must not carry out its role to advise and consent regarding the president's nominee to the Supreme Court.

Yet Mitch McConnell did exactly that. He refused to give Garland a hearing. It was a bold action that unfortunately succeeded in thwarting the intent of the Constitution.

I am interested in being as fearless and imaginative in the cause of Justice, in balancing the scales, as McConnell was in the cause of Injustice.

There is no need for us to go against the Constitution. But if Donald Trump is not a legitimate president, and
    Hillary is-we need to acknowledge the injustice and begin the process of setting things right.
    underthematrix (3,746 posts)

27. The core of the investigation is about espionage

I expect him to be the first sitting president to be indicted for both espionage and obstruction of justice.

a whole lotta mental masturbation going on there.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    a whole lotta mental masturbation going on there.
    And, as usual, the DUmbasses are shooting blanks like someone with a vasectomy.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

What if investigating Russian dealings with our government exposes the Clintons, not Trump...Would that tone down your righteous indignation much?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    What if investigating Russian dealings with our government exposes the Clintons, not Trump...Would that tone down your righteous indignation much?
    Now, why did you go wandering into reality?
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

The way the constitution works is that if Trump were to die, resign or be removed from office over the Russia thing, VP Mike Pence becomes President. If both Trump and Pence are out of office, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan becomes President. After him is Tippy Turtle (McConnell), then SOS Tillerson. After that, I'm unsure of the order, but I think it's other cabinet officials.

Watergate played like this: VP Agnew had to resign because of his own scandal, involving tax fraud, if I remember correctly. Nixon then appointed Ford as his VP, with congressional approval. Nixon resigned over the Watergate situation, and Ford became President.