Thread: Mom Sues For Open Carry Rights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mom Sues For Open Carry Rights 
    Gun-carrying Lebanon mom files civil-rights lawsuit

by BARBARA MILLER, Of The Patriot-News
    Monday November 24, 2008, 4:27 PM

LEBANON -- The Lebanon woman who stirred controversy by openly carrying a handgun to her child's soccer game filed a lawsuit in federal court today claiming that her rights were violated and seeking more than $1 million in damages.

Meleanie Hain's concealed weapons permit was revoked Sept. 20 by Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo, who maintained she showed poor judgment wearing her gun to her daughter's soccer game Sept. 11. The permit was reinstated Oct. 14 by Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby.

Judge Eby asked her to conceal the gun when she goes to soccer games. but Hain said she planned to continue to display the gun, asserting her right under the Second Amendment.

The lawsuit filed in U.S. Middle District Court on behalf of Hain and her husband, Scott Hain, names DeLeo, his office and Lebanon County. It claims the sheriff's action violated her First, Second, Fourth, Fifth and 14th Amendment rights.

"My client has been harmed more than that court is empowered to adjudicate," said Hain's attorney, Matthew Weisberg, referring to the reinstatement of her permit in county court.

The suit seeks reimbursement of attorneys' fees and costs and lost wages, since Hain's baby-sitting business has suffered, Weisberg said. She also seeks compensation for emotional distress, punitive and statutory damages, and mandatory education for the sheriff's department on Second Amendment issues.

Hain had been carrying the weapon openly for a year, Weisberg said, but no one complained until the sheriff revoked her permit. He added that a sheriff's deputy was one of her clients.
    This is an interesting case. I'm all for open carry laws. You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe that you are magically "safer" if you don't see something. Likewise, children aren't traumatized by viewing weapons (or hay balers or rat poison) but seeing them can satisfy curiosity and take a lot of the mystique away. Nothing says "edgy" like seeing some old, fat guy carrying a revolver. :D

PennLive

Out in the middle of nowhere, I don't see it as a big deal.

Guys walking on the New York Subway in packs carrying weapons may be disconcerting, though. Especially on cold days when ski masks are needed for warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is an interesting case. I'm all for open carry laws. You'd have to be pretty stupid to believe that you are magically "safer" if you don't see something. Likewise, children aren't traumatized by viewing weapons (or hay balers or rat poison) but seeing them can satisfy curiosity and take a lot of the mystique away. Nothing says "edgy" like seeing some old, fat guy carrying a revolver. :D

PennLive
    You better hope her kids team wins!:eek: Lotta fights and stuff at kids sport events.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Out in the middle of nowhere, I don't see it as a big deal.

Guys walking on the New York Subway in packs carrying weapons may be disconcerting, though. Especially on cold days when ski masks are needed for warmth.
    Assuming any non-criminal in NYC could afford to own a gun, what's more disconcerting: a legal gun owner using open carry or a criminal using illegal concealed carry?

Assuming any non-criminal in NYC could afford to own a gun, what's more disconcerting: a legal gun owner using open carry or a criminal using illegal concealed carry?
    How would you know?

Maybe they could wear some kind of badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    How would you know?

Maybe they could wear some kind of badge.
    Open carry would be a badge since every SWAT wannabe would feel free to shake you down for some kind of witless permit.

I believe the way the laws are written, here in Texas, is that you can openly carry a weapon, as long as you have a hunting license.

Not for certain though....

8. #8 Stat by State handgun laws 
    Check out this site for current laws in all 50 states:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Quote Originally Posted by jazztech View Post
    Check out this site for current laws in all 50 states:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    That site is slightly misleading or that graphic is, anyway. Colorado is a 'shall issue' state. It's also an open carry state with the exception of Denver itself. ;)

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia

PennLive
    Did you just call me fat? :mad:

But you said edgy. I like that. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!