1. #1 Afghan, NATO Troops Kill 23 Taliban Near Kandahar 
    ARGHANDAB, Afghanistan -- Afghan and Canadian forces moved into villages outside Kandahar on Wednesday to root out Taliban militants, killing at least 23 insurgents, while an explosion elsewhere killed four British soldiers, officials said.

Troops in Arghandab district just outside of Kandahar, southern Afghanistan's largest city, exchanged fire with militants during "a few minor contacts," NATO spokesman Mark Laity said.

The Afghan Defense Ministry said more than 20 Taliban fighters had been killed in Tabin, a village in Arghandab, while three other fighters were killed in second village. Two Afghan soldiers also were killed, the ministry said in a statement.

A top provincial official in Kandahar, Ahmed Wali Karzai, the brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, said hundreds of families had fled to the city, and that some of the villages had already been cleared of Taliban.

Helicopters and jets patrolled the skies and smoke rose from fields after exchanges of fire, an Associated Press reporter at the scene said. A helicopter landed in a field near the fighting and appeared to evacuate a casualty, he said. Large Canadian military vehicles and Afghan police trucks were moving through the region.
    Link

I'm getting a bit worried about conditions in Afghanistan right now. Glad to here that we're clearing out some more of the Taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link

I'm getting a bit worried about conditions in Afghanistan right now. Glad to here that we're clearing out some more of the Taliban.
    Why be worried? The Afghans and Canadians will clean this little thing up in a couple of weeks. The Taliban will pay heavily for it, also.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dixierat View Post
    Why be worried? The Afghans and Canadians will clean this little thing up in a couple of weeks. The Taliban will pay heavily for it, also.

I have a friend in Afghanistan now. I worry about her especially when these stories come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I have a friend in Afghanistan now. I worry about her especially when these stories come up.

Isn't she in Kabaul? If so, she'd be OK. This is all happening down south near Kandahar. But she should still be careful. Afghanistan is a dangerous place.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dixierat View Post
    Isn't she in Kabaul? If so, she'd be OK. This is all happening down south near Kandahar. But she should still be careful. Afghanistan is a dangerous place.

Actually, I think she's in Herat. I can't keep track of her. She had been further west (about 50 miles from Iran) but they moved her to a larger city instead of the outlying villages, as she was the last Westerner and last woman there (meaning her program) And last week I know she was in Cyprus. But still. I don't like the country being destabilized while she is still there. I just wish she's frakking come home. She said as soon as they can hire 3 more to replace her she'll be home. Right. As if they can find 3 people insane enough to do her job.