1. #1 My everyday computer acted up this am 
    Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Not the first time it has happened for this computer I use 99 percent of the time, it failed to boot this morning and nothing but an empty screen. Now it did this same thing two or three months ago and I just removed the cmos battery and reset the bios then it fired right up. Later on I had the power supply fail and replaced that not only in this machine but the other good machine I have. So I did everything you might do to try and diagnose one that wouldn't boot and I got to thinking about just taking this 32 bit system and put in into the good machine to at least rule out the hard drive and having two identical motherboards and bios makes it easy to do that, it did fire right up on this hard drive. Graphics wasn't great because I had already moved that good machine to this good monitor and it was stuck on a lower resolution for some reason due to card difference in the two machines. I put that drive back into the machine and tried swapping the ram to the empty slot and I noticed there was a lot of dust on the edge of the slot that I took the ram from so I took my air can and blew that dust and slot out and put that ram back into that slot. It started booting at first only showing the motherboard screen but then it finally came alive and gave me some warnings and I corrected all the bios that I had messed up by this time and finally I have it working back on line again as I write this. It took all day to do this and got my blood pressure up and even made my arm start to cramp up while I was on my cell talking to my brother, I finally had to hang up because my left hand was cramped so bad and I had to shove that phone up close to my ear since I can't hear too well on that phone. So I guess if the thing fails to start again it will be something I won't be able to nail down and I will just start now looking for a good used lease return. I had thought about getting another Xeon cpu to put in it but after these problems I don't think I want to waste any time. I was much more concerned about losing any of my work files since I keep all my tribute things and all my photoshop and paint tools on this machine. Just seeing that I can indeed just put it in that other good machine made me feel a lot better.

I had a similar experience a few months ago. Intermittent failure to boot, blank screen. Had screen saver set for one hour, frequently the display would not come back for hours, if at all. Tried everything:

Disable screen saver and power saver in OS and Bios.

Re-install operating system.

Installed different release of linux.

Swapped power supplies and motherboard.

Switched from video card to onboard video.

It was an intermittent short in the damn monitor!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I used to build all my machines but now I just
    stick to either DELL's or HP's.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Happy to say the machine is still doing fine after that sit down strike Saturday. I don't believe I mentioned I had ordered an Xeon 3.0 quad core cpu for the 64 bit machine I have, it arrived yesterday and I picked it up this morning and came home and installed it and now I have a pretty fast little machine. I am still locked in to only 8gigs of ram but the performance ratings that windows 7 issues bumped it up to a 7.3 opposed to the 4.7 before the cpu change. I have a hard drive that is still bottle necking the system and soon as possible I will get a faster hard drive and that will be about all I could do to make it faster. I could get a faster processor but I think I will stay with this one and it ran extremely cool this morning, much cooler than the 2.66 I removed. So I spent 39 dollars on that processor and new it was over 400 several years ago. I might go ahead and upgrade this machine to a 64 bit using the same processor. I know I can find another board like this one used so I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading the bios. I did as the instructions recommended and cleared the bios then booted it and everything was perfect, I had to set the clock and that was it. I have nothing but graphics software and 3d editors and other software that love the fix this morning, they are really much faster. 39 bucks well spent