1. #1 Obama Promises Tuition Tax Credit 
    TAYLOR, Mich. -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama recalled paying off his own mountain of student loan debt and promised struggling college students Tuesday he would help them pay for school.

Obama said he would give students a $4,000 tax credit to help pay tuition and fees in exchange for 100 hours of community service. The campaign said the program would cost $10 billion a year.

"You get a hand living your dreams, and then you help your fellow citizens live theirs," the Illinois senator told a small group of students in a courtyard at Wayne County Community College. He listened as they told stories of balancing family demands, high fuel prices and school costs.

The event combined a couple of campaign goals, stressing Obama's plans to help Americans struggling in a tough economy while showing voters in the critical swing state of Michigan more about his modest roots.

Michigan Republicans have been trying to portray him as an elite senator out of touch with the daily struggles in the state, which has the nation's highest unemployment rate. "His two biggest accomplishments in the U.S. Senate are becoming a millionaire and running for president," GOP Rep. Mike Rogers told reporters in a conference call as Obama began a two-day visit to the state.

Obama began his speech to the students, recorded by a bank of television cameras, by telling them about his humble roots _ a teenager mother and a father who left when he was two. He also told them that his wife, Michelle, had a father with multiple sclerosis who still went to work every day at the local water filtration plant.

"I was given love, and I was given support, but most importantly, I was given an education that put me on a pathway to my dreams," he said. "The same was true for Michelle.

"Unfortunately, another thing that Michelle and I have in common is that we left school with a mountain of debt," he said. "Michelle I know had at least $60,000. I had at least $60,000, so when we got together we had a lot of loans to pay. In fact, we did not finish paying them off until probably we'd been married for at least eight years, maybe nine. And like a lot of families, we were still dealing with the cost of our own education when we had to start thinking about saving for our children."
    Link

Okay, let's think about this for a moment. Is $4,000, paid over 10 years, crushing debt for any college graduate? No. The crushing debt comes when you finance almost your entire undergraduate and post-graduate degrees. $4,000 is not the obstacle that determines whether or not someone can actually attend college...it's $24,000 per year that will crush you. So why are we doing this? It's a $10 billion per year program so that Obama and Michelle can feel good and buy some votes. I'm tired of the giveaway. I'd rather give this $10 billion towards veterans' benefits, including tuition credits for them. But the upside of this idea is not worth the price tag.

Another bandaid on the wound of the overtaxed citizen. What a moron :mad:
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Obama'a web site
    Higher Education
    Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Obama will also ensure that the tax credit is available to families at the time of enrollment by using prior year's tax data to deliver the credit when tuition is due.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ed...gher-education

Obama's plan is nothing more than an attempt to buy the votes of college aged students. Most students will owe little or no tax as they have either no job or a lower paying job, since they are mostly full time students. So under his plan, they get a $4K - taxes paid "refund". Vote buying, nothing more.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Link

Okay, let's think about this for a moment. Is $4,000, paid over 10 years, crushing debt for any college graduate? No. The crushing debt comes when you finance almost your entire undergraduate and post-graduate degrees. $4,000 is not the obstacle that determines whether or not someone can actually attend college...it's $24,000 per year that will crush you. So why are we doing this? It's a $10 billion per year program so that Obama and Michelle can feel good and buy some votes. I'm tired of the giveaway. I'd rather give this $10 billion towards veterans' benefits, including tuition credits for them. But the upside of this idea is not worth the price tag.
    After reading this tripe, I think about my dad who is 98 years old; when he was a kid, the state of Louisiana did not pay for books in high school. His family was poor so he had to quit school after the 8th grade. He got his leg cut off by a trolley car in New Orleans at the age of 9 but he worked delivering newspapers on crutches up till the time he was old enough to go to trade school and became a printer. He survived the depression because of his work ethics as a kid.

I worked two jobs when I went to college. One job during the day and as a guard at night on the weekends . Obama and Michelle are like many college student; they think they are too good to work or they are too damn lazy. Probably a combination of both. If these two turkey's had worked, they would not have piled up that much debt. I would like to see their loan papers because I suspect they are lying.

You appreciate things more when you work for them; society has changed for the worse. We have too many people with this entitlement mentality that think they are owed something. B.S. to that. Lazy shits like crying heart liberals want things handed to them on a silver platter. Work and pay for your own damn tuition; I paid for mine so Obama can take his give away program and shove it where the sun don't shine.

One of my favorite historical excerpts concerning the role of government and charity:

http://patriotpost.us/histdocs/crock...rs_to_give.asp

Also, from James Madison, 1794 - speech in the House of Representatives

[T]he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21