Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Should NFL players go on strike due to owner and league pushback over protests durin 
    link

LonePirate (6,991 posts)

Should NFL players go on strike due to owner and league pushback over protests during the anthem?

It seems likely to me that NFL owners and probably the league itself will soon be cracking down on players kneeling, sitting or even hiding in the tunnel or locker room during the national anthem. If restrictions or protest bans are put in place, should NFL players go on strike to protect their rights?

Yes 29 (76%)

No 7 (18%)

Unsure/Don't care 2 (5%
    )
    Some get it, others are pretty clueless.
    GusBob (2,885 posts)

1. If the NFL owners bench players for kneeling, its kinda like a boycott

and teams will lose games

I don't think the players should boycott, just keep protesting
    FLPanhandle (7,100 posts)

2. The NFL players rights are not being violated.

Any employer can put limits on what their employees say/do on company time.

Does anyone here even understand the first amendment?
    LonePirate (6,991 posts)

11. When government officials are urging owners and the league to crackdown, the 1A is relevant.

If the Dotard in Chief was not inserting himself into the situation, the protests would not be nearly as newsworthy. When the government is pushing back on players protesting government actions, it becomes a 1A issue.

Ultimately, it is up to the players to decide if any rule changes amount to unsatisfactory working conditions worthy of a strike.
    FLPanhandle (7,100 posts)

15. Actually, it's still not relevant

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,...."

Trump tweeting away and complaining about the protests is not the same thing.

The Players are welcome to strike about any rule changes, but not because their 1st Amendment rights are being violated. From a McDonalds cashier to an NFL player, employers have the right to restrict what their employees say/do on company time.

No rights are being violated. Period.

LonePirate (6,991 posts)

23. Are you seriously suggesting that since Congress has not passed a law, its not a 1A issue?

The president is pressuring the owners and league to curtail players using their 1A right on company time. This is still the government seeking to restrict 1A rights no matter how you want to slice or phrase it. Now, if the NFL already had rules in place like the NBA does with regard to standing during the anthem, then it might be different. As it exists now, the government is seeking restrictions on people exercising their 1A rights. If 45 had not poked his nose into it, then the matter would be one of labor standards, at least from a legal standard and still a possible reason to strike.

Could the owners/league win a lawsuit filed by a player fired for kneeling? Probably. However, they would suffer huge losses in the court of public opinion. The choice is theirs.
    The NFL DOES have rules about standing during the anthem. The leftist media keeps this from reporting so those who only listen to leftist media are ignorant.
    LanternWaste (28,464 posts)

13. If the stricture was already written into the contractual obligation, you'd have a point.

If the stricture was already written into the contractual obligation, you'd have a point. But it's not.

"Does anyone here even understand the first amendment?"
    Ironic, given your premise.
    Iggo (35,805 posts)

3. It's not an anthem protest.

It's a protest against inequality and police brutality.

It's taking place DURING the anthem at a sportsball game because that's the only time they can get the racists' attention.
    LonePirate (6,991 posts)

7. Yes, you are correct. I have edited my poorly worded title. My apologies.
    mvd (61,159 posts)

8. I think they should continue to protest anyway. The league..

couldn’t handle the disruption well, especially with their recent PR problems. Plus, this is NONE of Trump’s business!
    Lurker Deluxe (746 posts)

10. They would not dare

The golden goose is already wounded, a strike would kill it.

I am a football fan, have always been a football fan, will always be a football fan. I go to the bar on Sunday to watch the game with friends, every week, same bar for 5 years. The local team, the Houston Texans, is exciting this year because of the rookie. The number of people at the bar has dropped to the point that they are considering opening at normal hours on Sunday, 2pm.

This Sunday the Texans played at 7:30pm. I stopped in around 2pm as the Astros (baseball) are in the playoffs. All TV's were on baseball, no football anywhere. After the Astros the Cowboys (football) were on, usually draws 10+ Cowboys fans. The next baseball game was put on at the patrons request. No football on any TV. Second baseball game ended, crowd pretty much left. Kickoff for the Texans at 7:30 saw me and two other people ...

A usual Sunday night game, without the local team playing, would have 25+ watching.

Guy next to me asked if he could play the jukebox, he was allowed. This is taboo on Sunday, the jukebox is never on. They changed the channel off the game by middle of the first quarter after two couples came in an said turn it off or we're out. I went home and did not turn it on ... I fell asleep.

Strike? NFL dead. It is dying right now. Bars turning the TV off football on football days is going to kill the ad revenue, any other blow to the game to piss off fans will be fatal.
    ProfessorGAC (30,691 posts)

18. Well That Cinches It!

One bar in Houston no longer has the same crowd. The most popular sport in US history is dead. Wow, that was easy!

And don't give me the "ratings" the resident talks about. There are fewer people watching conventional television and hence all ratings are down. If we talk "share" we have a completely different conversation.
    Lurker Deluxe (746 posts)

26. well

If you do not want to use ratings ... and you do not want to use personal experience ... what do you want to use?

Your feelings?

It is not just one bar, it is all of the bars around here. It is not like we only go to one bar, and talk to 30 people. I live at the corner of 1960 and Veterans Memorial. One of the busiest areas in Houston. Within five miles of my home there are 30 bars. Hell, there are five in the parking lot at Willowbrook Mall. Bartenders move around, a lot ... and we talk to them daily, I have 20+ on my facebook.

Pretty much everyone around here has had the same issue since last year, when it was the elections fault. It is worse this year.

NFL viewership is down. If you choose to deny this your are just being obtuse because it does not fit whatever you think. I still watch, and I always will ... but the protests are hurting the league, a strike would do untold damage.
    pwb (1,595 posts)

20. They should be left to their expression of free speech.

It's the players right to express themselves. You can't pick and choose what the constitution says. Free speech is guaranteed. Standing for a song is not unconstitutional.

mythology (7,260 posts)

24. You are clearly wrong

The players have free speech but that doesn't mean the owners are obligated to host it. I could go into Walmart and protest them and they would be absolutely within their rights to have removed.

This is really basic. If you're going to snark about the constitution, you might want to make sure you actually understand it yourself.

pwb (1,595 posts)

25. Well Mr Right, I have read it from cover to cover.

Snark. If the players want to express their right knowing the owners could retaliate against them they can. By owner do you mean they own the team or the men.? Do they still have free will or do you think employment takes that away too. I believe owning men was abolished. Just because you say someone is wrong doesn't make it so. Interpretation comes to mind. I won't come out and say your wrong because it's rude that seems to be your style.

Go for it! Slit the golden-egg-laying goose's throat! Its neck is pretty well wrung already!
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    I wish the morons would strike, it would mean the demise of the nfl much quicker and what better way to open the door for a new league that plays football using white boys again. I still remember the games in the early 60s and late fifties when they actually played football instead of this pansy ball. Why I even recall one or two real Irishmen playing for Notre Dame at one time.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    I wish the morons would strike, it would mean the demise of the nfl much quicker and what better way to open the door for a new league that plays football using white boys again. I still remember the games in the early 60s and late fifties when they actually played football instead of this pansy ball. Why I even recall one or two real Irishmen playing for Notre Dame at one time.
    I don't care about their paint job I would be happy with Americans playing instead of ungrateful communists.
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

At the height of popularity, the NFL Network was originally 'subscriber only' for the final 8 Thursday's.

Suddenly, the following year, all 16 Thursday games were free (cable or satellite). Starting last year, the game was on NFL and flagship CBS simultaneously, free.

Moral: A strike will kill the sport. And the network-insiders know it.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    At the height of popularity, the NFL Network was originally 'subscriber only' for the final 8 Thursday's.

Suddenly, the following year, all 16 Thursday games were free (cable or satellite). Starting last year, the game was on NFL and flagship CBS simultaneously, free.

Moral: A strike will kill the sport. And the network-insiders know it.
    What should scare the league and MSM manglement is that the monster they've nurtured doesn't give a @#$% and would gladly turn on them.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Striking will violate their contract and violate their CBA. The owners used replacement players before and believe me, there are thousands of players who will line up to play in the NFL like they did in 1987.
    Deplorably Proud To Be An American

by all means, strike. I'd love to see the falling tv ratings fall even lower.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    The players union should have a petition we can sign to show our approval for a strike.
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The players union should have a petition we can sign to show our approval for a strike.

Heh I would put my X on it