Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 California Fires 
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/cal...apa/index.html

A good friend of mine lost her house and everything in it. I told her that the most important thing is that she and her family are OK. Houses can be rebuilt. People can't.
    Deplorably Proud To Be An American

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/cal...apa/index.html

A good friend of mine lost her house and everything in it. I told her that the most important thing is that she and her family are OK. Houses can be rebuilt. People can't.
    Happy to hear that her and her family are ok.

Today when I left work I could smell the California smoke.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The destruction there is something. And those
    fires are so swift when they hit.

I've seen pics of neighborhoods where all that's
    left are natural gas jets that pin point where
    homes used to be.
    May the FORCE be with you!

It's also not the part of CA that usually gets the wildfires. It's north of San Francisco. Usually the fires are in southern CA.

With embers traveling at what one witness put at 10-miles across a valley, the wind is making it impossible to start back-fires. That's the only firefighting-tactic I know.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    With embers traveling at what one witness put at 10-miles across a valley, the wind is making it impossible to start back-fires. That's the only firefighting-tactic I know.

It's too bad we can't send some of the rain we are getting in MI today that way.

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It's too bad we can't send some of the rain we are getting in MI today that way.
    It amazes me that all these flood waters couldn't be used for something other than destroying cities and neighborhoods. Even a small inter coastal canal like the one that goes north to south all the way to Mexico and feeds from the Colorado river, they use that one for irrigation for the farming in the dry spots of the western US, there are places where the water would have to be routed underground due to elevation changes west to east but it is feasible but impossible to pay for. I think if they had the money to build a freeway from Mexico across America to Canada something like a water providing canal could be paid for, all they would have to do is stop giving all the tax money to the world and just spend it on our infrastructure, once we have what we need they can continue to help other nations. I also feel like they completely screwed up a chance to have emergency shelters already built for the people who are caught in these storms, they were so eager to destroy all the military bases they closed down circa 98 , most even had hospitals that could have been reopened for these emergencies. I guess if a politician can't pocket a buck off of a project it don't enter their minds.

It's also not the part of CA that usually gets the wildfires. It's north of San Francisco. Usually the fires are in southern CA.
    The last big fire in that area was the Oakland fire of 1991. Killed 25 people and destroyed over 2800 homes and 437 apartments or condos. I lived in Richmond at the time and was in San Francisco the morning it started. I could see a column of smoke rapidly expand to cover the entire hills of Oakland in less than an hour. When I got back to my place on Richmond Marina I watched thru binoculars the fire advance and jump from house to house. looked like it would never be put out.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    It amazes me that all these flood waters couldn't be used for something other than destroying cities and neighborhoods. Even a small inter coastal canal like the one that goes north to south all the way to Mexico and feeds from the Colorado river, they use that one for irrigation for the farming in the dry spots of the western US, there are places where the water would have to be routed underground due to elevation changes west to east but it is feasible but impossible to pay for. I think if they had the money to build a freeway from Mexico across America to Canada something like a water providing canal could be paid for, all they would have to do is stop giving all the tax money to the world and just spend it on our infrastructure, once we have what we need they can continue to help other nations. I also feel like they completely screwed up a chance to have emergency shelters already built for the people who are caught in these storms, they were so eager to destroy all the military bases they closed down circa 98 , most even had hospitals that could have been reopened for these emergencies. I guess if a politician can't pocket a buck off of a project it don't enter their minds.

You know, people in my hometown of Grand Rapids are forever showing photographs of cisterns they discover on their property or on city property, that were for gathering rain water during WWII. If engineers could figure out a way to get more water then, they should be able to do so now. I guess they are waiting for a computer program to figure it out instead of old fashioned engineering.

Actually fires hit the all along Sierras, the Central Coast (e.g. Big Sur, a year ago), the Oakland Hills, Lake County (which is an affected area this year), the Inland Empire (e.g. San Bernardino County). September and October are the worst of the fire season.

The recent wet winter stimulated the growth of grasses and brush. Summer, always dry, transformed that brush and grasses into fuel. A fire started in the Vallejo-Napa area on a very windy day (80 mph gusts!) and you know what followed.

Santa Rosa has been hit pretty bad. They had to evacuate largish two hospitals (Kaiser and Sutter) on Monday. Lots of evacuations.

FWIW, the affected counties are 70-100 miles north of me. Monday AM when I left for work I could smell the smoke. I didn't smell it yesterday or this AM, but when I went outside an hour ago I could smell it clearly again and the sky was very smazy.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!