Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I also live in San Jose and could smell the smoke from the fires on Monday. Visability here in the South Bay is bad today. I'm currently at Apple's HQ here in Cupertino. Normally you can see the coastal mountain range to the west, about 5 miles or so away from where I'm currently sitting. Today? Can't see any mountains due to the smoke from the fires.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

It's a really minor thing, compared to what residents in the affected areas are going through, but a trail race in Marin County not in an affected area that was scheduled for this weekend has been cancelled. It would have been horrible with all the smoke and junk in the air, especially for people with asthma.

I'm across the valley from Zathras, near I-880 and Brokaw Rd.. Conditions here are similar.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I also live in San Jose and could smell the smoke from the fires on Monday. Visability here in the South Bay is bad today. I'm currently at Apple's HQ here in Cupertino. Normally you can see the coastal mountain range to the west, about 5 miles or so away from where I'm currently sitting. Today? Can't see any mountains due to the smoke from the fires.

I lived on E. Homestead (address 963) in Sunnyvale from 1996 thru 1998. Back then the property across the street was a big HP campus. Now it is the Apple mothership.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    I lived on E. Homestead (address 963) in Sunnyvale from 1996 thru 1998. Back then the property across the street was a big HP campus. Now it is the Apple mothership.
    They're still putting the finishing touches on the Apple Mpthership and haven't shifted their HQ to the new building.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

I think Pruneridge Avenue between Wolf Rd. and Lawrence Expressway pretty much is no more. Vallco Shopping Center is mostly a ghost town (anchored by Sears and Penney's!).

When I topped the US 101 overpass, driving home on I-880, I could see the east foothills in my rearview mirror. When I got home, 5 or 6 miles from the start of the Santa Cruz Mountains I could not see the mountains at all. Bay Area micro-climates.
    Last edited by SVPete; 10-12-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Everybody out there, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You know, people in my hometown of Grand Rapids are forever showing photographs of cisterns they discover on their property or on city property, that were for gathering rain water during WWII. If engineers could figure out a way to get more water then, they should be able to do so now. I guess they are waiting for a computer program to figure it out instead of old fashioned engineering.
    A lot of laws are still on-the-books that make gathering rainwater for private use illegal. 'Rain' belongs to the community. But it seems like it's one those laws they'll bust ya for if they're already on your property to arrest you for some other charge.

Got stuck on the wrong side of the Canyon Fire (the one in southern California) yesterday. Drove the 91 about 9 am, fire was there, but most of the lanes where open. News said it was only 25 acres. Coming back at four, the 91 was closed and the fire hitting 700 acres. Only took an hour and half to get home.

August of 1977 my Guard unit was called up for the Marblecone fire in Monterrey. Spent two weeks standing post in Solidad. It is a very impressive operation. Alot of money spent with very little oversight.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

This AM there were flecks of ash on my car, from the fires a hundred miles away.