Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Our Moral Beacons in Hollywood 
    I have to say that I am enjoying this whole Harvey Weinstein debacle. Since before the election of Donald Trump these squatters of the moral high ground have been telling us how bad and ever we are to have voted for Trump. They have spent their time (and money in some cases) encouraging others to make life a difficult as possible for the current administration. They have been telling us how bad Donald and his supporters are and implying that their own virtuous opinions were the correct ones. How Trump is a womanizer, a misogynist, a groper and abuser of women all the while hiding someone who is showing himself to be far worse than Trump ever thought to be. They have kept him hidden even though many knew of his behavior. They accepted his money and job offers and some even assisted in funneling girls his way. Some cases they did this because they were scared of losing their careers because of Weinstein's power. Others enabled him because of the career boost he might give them one day. Some just didn't care.

I am sure that there are many other Harvey Weinsteins still hiding and being hid in Tinseltown. Our moral superiors are now scrambling to figure out what to do. Continue to cover for them hoping that all of this quiets down, risking the chance that their complicity will be brought in to the light again or do they out these animals and put their careers on the line. I don't think many will take the later path.

Next time Meryl Streep or some other Hollywood bigwig decides to lecture us on how we should treat women I hope someone points out to them the example they have set. Career is more important than other's safety. Back the power broker and never the victim because you may become a victim and you don't want that. I don't what late night tv because of all the hatred that masks itself as the comedy but has Jimmy Kimmel shed any tears for the women that Harvey has abused?

As an exciting perk to all this, I'm enjoying watching them turn on each other lack a pack hyenas scrapping over a piece of rotting meat. Ben Affleck reports on his horror, Rose McGowan calling him a liar and some other girl coming out of the would work to accuse him of sexual abuse. This is going to be glorious to behold over the next few weeks.

Hey, Hollywood all those award speeches and jokes are starting to have a hollow ring to them now don't you think?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This has given me courage to speak out!!!

<sob> I was abused by R2-D2. A long time ago.
    At a condo in Boca.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Seth McFarland stated that when he made the joke at some awards show about women not having to pretend to like Harvey Weinstein anymore, it was more than just a joke. Weinstein had played the same game with one of McFarland's female friends and his joke was his attempt to call him out on it.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Seth McFarland stated that when he made the joke at some awards show about women not having to pretend to like Harvey Weinstein anymore, it was more than just a joke. Weinstein had played the same game with one of McFarland's female friends and his joke was his attempt to call him out on it.
    I read that this morning
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html
    Pffffffffffffffffffffff! Buh Bye Big Ears
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Weinstein's shield was that he had made himself a key player in multiple media, from writers getting stories published to choosing what to film with what cast to being a key advertiser, to making Oscars happen. The power of ubiquity. He could see to it that young actresses would, "never work in this town again". He could have "friendly" chats with NYT editors and NBC execs and "casually" ask whether they really wanted to publish/broadcast an expose' about one of their bigger advertisers. He could ask magazine editors about upcoming stories that might be movie compatible.

There are courageous writers whose exposes' have been unleashed, but what broke Weinstein's shield was technology - technology that let writers bypass magazines beholden to Weinstein; technology that bypassed traditional advertising channels; technology that has bypassed traditional movie production and distribution channels (not to mention so much of TV and movie production moving out of NYC and Hollywood).

Weinstein outlived his power, and now I hope he lives another 20 or 30 years in ostracism and isolation. Hopefully Hollyweird will be so damaged and outraged that Weinstein won't be Roman Polanski 2.0.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Weinstein's shield was that he had made himself a key player in multiple media, from writers getting stories published to choosing what to film with what cast to being a key advertiser, to making Oscars happen. The power of ubiquity. He could see to it that young actresses would, "never work in this town again". He could have "friendly" chats with NYT editors and NBC execs and "casually" ask whether they really wanted to publish/broadcast an expose' about one of their bigger advertisers. He could ask magazine editors about upcoming stories that might be movie compatible.

There are courageous writers whose exposes' have been unleashed, but what broke Weinstein's shield was technology - technology that let writers bypass magazines beholden to Weinstein; technology that bypassed traditional advertising channels; technology that has bypassed traditional movie production and distribution channels (not to mention so much of TV and movie production moving out of NYC and Hollywood).

Weinstein outlived his power, and now I hope he lives another 20 or 30 years in ostracism and isolation. Hopefully Hollyweird will be so damaged and outraged that Weinstein won't be Roman Polanski 2.0.

I hope he gets prosecuted. I think it's a given at this point that he's going to be sued by multiple women. His wife obviously knows that and filed for divorce, so she can get her cut of their community assets prior to any rulings on lawsuits and the associated damages.

This crap has been going on in Hollywood for decades. Previous actresses did pay the price for not going along- one got labeled box office poison early in her career for not sleeping with executives (among other things, like negotiating her own contracts with studios and telling off the HUAC) and ended up with the record for the most acting Oscars. But Kate had rich, crazy friends like Howard Hughes to back her and a rich family to fall back on.

I think Weinstein is angling to become Polanski II.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    I think Weinstein is angling to become Polanski II.
    I don't think he was allowed out of the country nor will he be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I don't think he was allowed out of the country nor will he be.
    At the moment there is nothing stopping him. He has no charges against him and as far as I can tell no legit reason to yank his passport.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    At the moment there is nothing stopping him. He has no charges against him and as far as I can tell no legit reason to yank his passport.
    Nothing we know about that is out in the open.