Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 Texas shooting: sow...reap 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,563
    link

    GulfCoast66 (2,784 posts)

    Texas shooting: sow...reap

    This event hits so close to me and makes me so angry I can spit nails. And I am going to try to word this carefully so as not to get a hide for being insensitive. If I sound a little callus please chalk it up to emotion.

    I grew up going to small, Southern rural churches like this one. Baptist. Mainly southern and freewill. I hope that in the next few days I will find out that this small rural church was an exception to what I learned and that they actually teach love. If it is, it will be the first I have seen.

    Because most of them teach nothing but hate. If you consider yourself a Christian and attend a mainline protestant or catholic church you would be shocked at what is taught in these neo-Calvinist bastions of hate. Among some of the things I was taught in Baptist Church:

    -God loves you so much that if you do exactly what the preacher instructs, you may not burn in hell for eternity.
    -Men have dominion over women and in no setting should women rule over men. Home, Office, Government.
    -Gays are evil incarnate and if they do not repent their evil ways they should be shunned. Now what exactly should be done to them was never exactly spelled out...which say a lot.
    -Adulterers will burn in hell. Except the men who did it, usually with younger women in the community were always forgiven and allowed to stay in the church. And the men's younger 'new' wives were always welcomed with open arms. Women who strayed usually had to move out of the community.
    -Blacks were the decedents of Ham and are here to serve whites as punishment for their peoples sins. I still cannot wrap my mind around that shit.
    -American = Christian. We are favored by god. Only Israel is more favored and we must always support them so we do not lose gods favor.
    -Wars American have fought have the backing of god.

    It goes on and on. When I was in high school I told my dad that was it for me. I was shocked he did not object. And I have not darkened the steps of one of them in over 35 years. I can only imagine what is being preached in the age of Trump.

    So when I hear these politicians of both parties carrying on about how these poor people were in a place of love and peace when they were so violently killed it makes me want to puke. The shooting is a direct result of the garbage they are taught in that building.

    I am heartbroken that these poor people were killed. And I am as equally heartbroken that they are convinced that the doctrine they believe has anything to do with love.

    I hope you have a nice evening. I will not.
    This reads like the clap trap that liberal atheist haters think Christians believe. No, Christians are not perfect, but they don't teach "hate".

    GulfCoast is saying the victims deserved to be killed. They had it coming. Gee, where have we heard that before? It it becoming a more and more accepted and vocalized belief by liberals who hate anyone who isn't sufficiently liberal.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    link
    ...
    This reads like the clap trap that liberal atheist haters think Christians believe. No, Christians are not perfect, but they don't teach "hate".

    GulfCoast is saying the victims deserved to be killed. They had it coming. Gee, where have we heard that before? It it becoming a more and more accepted and vocalized belief by liberals who hate anyone who isn't sufficiently liberal.
    That is exactly what GC means, and nothing less. Right now it looks like this mass shooter may have been ... an atheist. For all the blather about Christians being hateful, there is much greater hatred among atheists. Maybe this shooter was one of those atheists who actually acted out his "faith"?
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    24,747
    I think that GulfCoast66 would be surprised if he actually knew what was being taught in "neo-Calvinist" churches. I can tell by his post that he doesn't have a clue and is just expressing what he wants to believe is taught.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,407
    Idiot is exposed as an idiot when someone posts a sermon from the church about the love and trust of God.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    FL & MO
    Posts
    51,698
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Idiot is exposed as an idiot when someone posts a sermon from the church about the love and trust of God.
    You think that matters to a DUmmie???
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,744
    GulfCoast66 (2,784 posts)
    ...
    I grew up going to small, Southern rural churches like this one. Baptist. Mainly southern and freewill. I hope that in the next few days I will find out that this small rural church was an exception to what I learned and that they actually teach love. If it is, it will be the first I have seen.

    Because most of them teach nothing but hate. If you consider yourself a Christian and attend a mainline protestant or catholic church you would be shocked at what is taught in these neo-Calvinist bastions of hate. Among some of the things I was taught in Baptist Church:
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I think that GulfCoast66 would be surprised if he actually knew what was being taught in "neo-Calvinist" churches. I can tell by his post that he doesn't have a clue and is just expressing what he wants to believe is taught.
    GC66 is such an expert on Southeren churches that (s)he doesn't even know that "freewill" and "Calvinist" ("neo-" and "paleo-") are opposites on the spectrum of Christian theology.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    24,747
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    GC66 is such an expert on Southeren churches that (s)he doesn't even know that "freewill" and "Calvinist" ("neo-" and "paleo-") are opposites on the spectrum of Christian theology.
    Actually, those are not opposites on the spectrum of Christian theology. They are relative depending on how the being's frame of reference. For example, God exists outside of time as an infinite being in an infinite state of existence. To him all whens are now He sees all events at once. To us, his creations who are a part of the universe, our preception is subject to the arrow of time. We experience past present and future and separate events moving from one direction to another. Our future is basically decisions and paths that we haven't yet made or taken. The fact that God can see the results of decisions we use our free will to make doesn't imply we have no free will. We are completely free to choose what we want to choose, God just knows what those choices will be.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,097
    I knew, I just KNEW, that at least one of the heartless, hate- filled vermin at the DUmp would post something like this: Gloating that all Christians everywhere, especially in the South, are all a bunch of evil, backwards, homophobic fundy monsters, so everyone in that church (Including the many children killed in the massacre, such as the pastor's 14 year old daughter and at least one baby) MUST have been an evil, backwards homophobic monster who deserved to die.

    It was just like this ten years ago, when radical atheist Matthew Murray posted a massively anti- Christian online manifesto that read like something a DUmmy would post, then went on a shooting rampage in a church in Denver, killing four people (Including two teenage girls) before being wounded by a church security guard returning fire with a CCW and turning his gun on himself. The DUmmies initially showed their typical compassion and sensitivity with comments like "I guess God was out having a cigarette break when it happened." Then, as more details of the shooting came out (i.e. Murray's manifesto was published, and it was revealed that Murray was gay), the DUchebaggery hit maximum overdrive! In one thread after another, the DUmmies openly portrayed Murray as a brave and noble hero righteously standing up for gay rights, openly portrayed the churchgoers he targeted as a bunch of evil fundies who all deserved to die, and portrayed the brave security guard who risked her life to stop Murray's rampage as a bloodthirsty lunatic. It shows why liberals like the DUmmies should have no control whatsoever over our justice system: The only people who have a more ass- backwards concept of things like justice and morality are those who follow Sharia law.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member SVPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,744
    Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    I knew, I just KNEW, that at least one of the heartless, hate- filled vermin at the DUmp would post something like this: Gloating that all Christians everywhere, especially in the South, are all a bunch of evil, backwards, homophobic fundy monsters, so everyone in that church (Including the many children killed in the massacre, such as the pastor's 14 year old daughter and at least one baby) MUST have been an evil, backwards homophobic monster who deserved to die.

    It was just like this ten years ago, when radical atheist Matthew Murray posted a massively anti- Christian online manifesto that read like something a DUmmy would post, then went on a shooting rampage in a church in Denver, killing four people (Including two teenage girls) before being wounded by a church security guard returning fire with a CCW and turning his gun on himself. The DUmmies initially showed their typical compassion and sensitivity with comments like "I guess God was out having a cigarette break when it happened." Then, as more details of the shooting came out (i.e. Murray's manifesto was published, and it was revealed that Murray was gay), the DUchebaggery hit maximum overdrive! In one thread after another, the DUmmies openly portrayed Murray as a brave and noble hero righteously standing up for gay rights, openly portrayed the churchgoers he targeted as a bunch of evil fundies who all deserved to die, and portrayed the brave security guard who risked her life to stop Murray's rampage as a bloodthirsty lunatic. It shows why liberals like the DUmmies should have no control whatsoever over our justice system: The only people who have a more ass- backwards concept of things like justice and morality are those who follow Sharia law.
    You've telescoped what Murray did somewhat. Murray went onto a Youth With A Mission base in Arvada, which is near Denver, and killed two hospitality staff members and wounded two others. Then he drove to New Life Church in Colorado Springs, where he killed two members and wounded another three before being shot by Jeanne Assam, the safety team member. It's kind of memorable for me because a family member had been at a YWAM conference in Denver just a week earlier.

    But your point is spot on. Whether on DU or elsewhere in Prog circles, there are many who put their ignorance, bigotry, and hatred on display every time there is a tragedy. And even though there are some reasonably knowledgeable Christians and former church members among them, they don't seem to reprove the bigots. Silence gives assent.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

    BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

    Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    4,563
    I knew, I just KNEW, that at least one of the heartless, hate- filled vermin at the DUmp would post something like this: Gloating that all Christians everywhere,
    No, it's not just one. It's thread after thread.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •