Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Canadian restaurant run by HIV-positive staff aims to smash stigma 
    Senior Member Banacek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Connecticut
    Posts
    10,767
    A group of Canadian gourmets is hoping to smash misconceptions about HIV transmission one plate at the time by opening a pop-up restaurant run entirely by staff infected with the virus.

    Located in Toronto, the restaurant called June's on Tuesday was serving its first meals prepared by HIV-positive cooks to dispel any notion that food preparation can spread the virus.

    Wearing aprons printed with such messages as "Kiss the HIV+ cook" and "I got HIV from pasta. Said no one ever," June's 14 HIV-positive cooks will be serving customers who prepaid to reserve their tables.

    The idea of June's came in response to a survey last month that found only half of Canadians would eat food prepared by someone with HIV.

    The survey was conducted by Casey House, a non-profit that planned the pop-up, or temporary, restaurant, said the group's head Joanne Simons. Casey House provides health care for people with HIV/AIDS.
    Who Is up for a road trip to this establishment ?

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-smash-stigma/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    19,237
    I don't believe that you can transmit HIV/AIDS through restaurant food. People who handle food generally wear latex gloves, HIV+ or not.

    But I'm still not sure that I want to eat at a restaurant whose main theme is that all the cooks are HIV+. If they are doing so to raise money for AIDS research or something like that, I would, but otherwise I would rather eat at a place that is known for how good the food is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    52,880
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't believe that you can transmit HIV/AIDS through restaurant food. People who handle food generally wear latex gloves, HIV+ or not.

    But I'm still not sure that I want to eat at a restaurant whose main theme is that all the cooks are HIV+. If they are doing so to raise money for AIDS research or something like that, I would, but otherwise I would rather eat at a place that is known for how good the food is.
    You could stop in for dessert, maybe a hot fudge sundae or something.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    26,061
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't believe that you can transmit HIV/AIDS through restaurant food. People who handle food generally wear latex gloves, HIV+ or not.

    But I'm still not sure that I want to eat at a restaurant whose main theme is that all the cooks are HIV+. If they are doing so to raise money for AIDS research or something like that, I would, but otherwise I would rather eat at a place that is known for how good the food is.
    Most of the time preparing and handling food with clean hands is more sanitary then using gloves. Gloves often never get changed as often as they should. Handling raw poultry, etc of course is different.

    As for eating at the restaurant if they had good food I would try it and leave them a Yelp review.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    26,288
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Most of the time preparing and handling food with clean hands is more sanitary then using gloves. Gloves often never get changed as often as they should. Handling raw poultry, etc of course is different.

    As for eating at the restaurant if they had good food I would try it and leave them a Yelp review.
    Be wary if you should drop your fork or something...
    Liberals! The real fascists.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern Nevada
    Posts
    26,061
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Be wary if you should drop your fork or something...
    That would be a pain in the butt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    131
    Well, to each his own!
    If I were starving I would probably give this place a try; otherwise, chances slim to none!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    8,397
    Noon is right about not being able to transmit HIV in this manor. HIV has very tight survivability outside of the body. Oxygen kills it. Short viability outside the body. Just very low chance to contract it this way. This is an interesting approach, but one that is not likely to go over as well as they hope.

    Stigma is a hard thing to defeat. Especially with their advertising scheme. When your sitting there waiting for your meal, and your waiter is wearing "I have HIV" on their apron, not all too settling. Even worse, should he/she have a band-aid on as well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    52,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Noon is right about not being able to transmit HIV in this manor. HIV has very tight survivability outside of the body. Oxygen kills it. Short viability outside the body. Just very low chance to contract it this way. This is an interesting approach, but one that is not likely to go over as well as they hope.

    Stigma is a hard thing to defeat. Especially with their advertising scheme. When your sitting there waiting for your meal, and your waiter is wearing "I have HIV" on their apron, not all too settling. Even worse, should he/she have a band-aid on as well.
    The disease by it's definition lowers their immunity. Most die of other contagious diseases that they can also carry.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    8,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The disease by it's definition lowers their immunity. Most die of other contagious diseases that they can also carry.
    True for HIV+ people. But healthy people are not likely to die from a common cold as a HIV+ person is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •