1. #1 Rep. John Conyers is "retiring" effective today. 
    As opposed to "resigning in disgrace", I guess. He supports his son to replace him, if it really is his son.

They will have to have a special election to replace him. Obviously, Jr. is running. Jr. is pretty young, I think he's still in his 20s. It would be nice if someone else ran.

Ridiculously tribal.

Talk about a banana republic or medieval fiefdom. The people in his District deserve better than this.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    As opposed to "resigning in disgrace", I guess. He supports his son to replace him, if it really is his son.

They will have to have a special election to replace him. Obviously, Jr. is running. Jr. is pretty young, I think he's still in his 20s. It would be nice if someone else ran.
    Well, know nothing about his son. But suspect this might turn out as poorly as Jesse Jackson Jr. winning an Illinois congressional seat & end up going to jail. Not wishing any ill will.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

the seat belongs to the people , that is the problem with these lifetime politicians. They get the feeling of entitlement after a while.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Well, know nothing about his son. But suspect this might turn out as poorly as Jesse Jackson Jr. winning an Illinois congressional seat & end up going to jail. Not wishing any ill will.

He's Monica's kid. I'm not so sure he's John's in a biological sense, but they were married at the time of conception and birth, so legally speaking, he's John's.

Detroit might not be so hot to elect his son. Conyers is making the city look bad when it's on an economic upswing. If it's a special election, though, turnout will be really low. The GOP could find a local black pastor to run as a moderate and win, if he can get enough people to turn out. There are some conservatives in the suburban parts of the district who will vote for anyone but a dem.

Poor John, without a job in DC, now he'll actually have to live with his (convicted felon) wife. If he has dementia, he has to let his wife make all legal decisions for him. If that is the case, I give him a year to live, she's not going to want to spend her inheritance on keeping him alive. Whatever he did as far as sexually harassing women, he will pay a karmic debt over when Monica rules his life. She is one cold-hearted hootchie mama.

Karma is hell, isn't it? Maybe he'll defy her and live another 10 years.

It must be the thing with some of the entrenched congressman. Lacey Clay in St Louis got the baton passed to him by his father, Bill Clay, who held the seat for many years. I guess they think that they are kings, keeping those lucrative seats in the family.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Listening to that moron Sheila Jackson-Lee read his statement, he's acting like he's the victim.
    Deplorably Proud To Be An American