1. #1 Profs say classroom 'civility' promotes 'white racial power' 
    Peoples Republic of Connecticut
    Two University of Northern Iowa professors recently argued that practicing “civility” in college classrooms can “reproduce white racial power.”

C. Kyle Rudick and Kathryn B. Golsan assert in a recent academic article that civility, particularly “whiteness-informed civility,” allegedly “functions to assert control of space” and “create a good white identity.”

This civility can reinforce white privilege, Rudick and Goslan argue, because “civility within higher education is a racialized, rather than universal, norm,” according to the field of “critical whiteness studies.”

To study this phenomenon, Rudick and Goslan interviewed 10 white college students and asked them questions such as “What do you consider to be civil behaviour?” and “How do you think your racial identity may affect your understandings of civility when talking with students of color?”

Students who indicated that they “treat everyone the same way” were accused of trying to create a “good White identity,” according to Rudick and Goslan’s analysis

Warren, MI
    Rudick and Goslan are both white, I looked up their pictures.

I am curious as to what actual black people think about their theory. Most black people I know like civility, just like most white people I know do.

Pevely, Missouri
    So they think that POC can't have manners , or conduct themselves like adults in a class room.

Liberal Racism is alive and well.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.