1. #1 Amtrak derailment: Train crashes near Tacoma, Washington, fatalities reported 
    Several people were killed and dozens were injured Monday after an Amtrak train derailed while traveling on the first day of a new route outside Tacoma, Washington, careening off a bridge and onto a highway below.

"The casualties include multiple injuries and fatalities," Detective Ed Troyer, a spokesman for the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, said of the 7:40 a.m. crash.

No motorists were killed, officials said.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was launching a team to determine what happened.

There were 78 passengers and five crew members on board the train headed from Seattle to Portland, Amtrak said.

Passenger Chris Karnes told MSNBC that the train derailed while traveling on tracks that are part of a new route in and out of Tacoma. The southbound train had just passed the city of Dupont and was traveling about 70 mph, he said.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ington-n830751

It looked like something was on the track. A helicopter shot showed where the engine began plowing dirt as it entered the curve... and nearby was a hunk of metal.

No two derailments are the same and this one looked complicated. Some sort of energy-transfer caused the derailment to finish on the opposite side of the track it originally started on.

They said it was a new rail. Maybe there was something wrong with the construction or it was faulty equipment. They also said the rail's speed control equipment had not yet been activated.

going into a 30 mph curve doing 80 mph may have had something to do with it.

Of course the left thinks President Trump did it to draw attention away from the Russian witch hunt
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Old n Grumpy View Post
    going into a 30 mph curve doing 80 mph may have had something to do with it.

Of course the left thinks President Trump did it to draw attention away from the Russian witch hunt
    Ohhh man you are spilling the beans, that was supposed to be kept secret...
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

This isn't the first time this has happened. For a period of time Amtrak was infamous for trainwrecks so my money is on speed. As a fun note, an Antifa group in that area took down instructions on how to sabotage trains.

AMTRACK is a BLACK HOLE for $$$$$$$, their safety record is abysmal, they are just another worthless federal union that over charges and provides lousy service.
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Cowboy View Post
    AMTRACK is a BLACK HOLE for $$$$$$$, their safety record is abysmal, they are just another worthless federal union that over charges and provides lousy service.
    Their record is abysmal and their travel options are just horrendous. I live in Colorado. Say I wanted to go home to the Gulf Coast in Alabama and use Amtrak. No such luck. I'd be riding a bus as often as I would a train. It's just cheaper and frankly logistically easier to drive. The only difference if I could take the train nonstop would be that I could arrive in three hours less. Hell, whats 17 hours against 20? I may as well spend $150 in gas as opposed to $350 for a ticket to hop on a train and a freaking bus. Unless you're on the East coast it just isn't really worth it.

9. #9 Amtrak train that derailed onto I-5 was reportedly going 80 in a 30-mph zone, 
    FourWinds has been proven right.

As noted in my original post

Don Anderson, mayor of Lakewood, a city along the new route, said he was among many in the area concerned about the speed of the trains that would be traveling through their communities. He said he was part of an unsuccessful bid to stop the switch, or change it.

"Our community has been very concerned about the safety of this modification of the rail route for several years," Anderson told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell.
    Then this comes out:

The Amtrak train that derailed Monday morning on its inaugural trip through a faster railway route was supposed to slow dramatically before entering the curve where the crash occurred.

The speed limit at the curve where the train crosses Interstate 5 is 30 miles per hour, said state transportation department spokeswoman Barbara LaBoe, while the speed limit on most of the track is 79 mph. She said speed-limit signs are posted two miles before the lowered speed zone and then just before the zone.

“Engineers are trained to slow trains according to posted speeds,” she said.

Daniel Konzelman, who was driving on I-5 south parallel to the train, said he was traveling at 60 mph or more and watched the train pass his vehicle about a half-mile before the crash. A website that monitors locations and speeds of Amtrak trains, transitdocs.com, reported that the train was going about 81 mph shortly before the derailment, The Associated Press reported
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...mit-of-30-mph/

And now this

Amtrak derailment: Train was traveling at 80 mph in 30-mph zone

The train that careened off a bridge outside Tacoma, Washington, killing three people was traveling at 80 mph on a 30-mph stretch of track, federal investigators confirmed late Monday

During a late-night briefing with reporters, NTSB board member Bella Dinh-Zarr added that Train 501 of Amtrak's Cascades service from Seattle headed south to Portland, Oregon, was carrying 80 passengers, three crew and two service personnel.

She said it was "too early to tell" why the train was travelling at 80 mph.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ington-n830751

As a side note

The Amtrak train that derailed in Philadelphia in 2015 was doing 106 mph when it entered a curve with a 50 mph speed limit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/u...ladelphia.html

Amtrak must hire failed Formula 1 drivers as engineers
    Last edited by Banacek; 12-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FourWinds View Post
    Their record is abysmal and their travel options are just horrendous. I live in Colorado. Say I wanted to go home to the Gulf Coast in Alabama and use Amtrak. No such luck. I'd be riding a bus as often as I would a train. It's just cheaper and frankly logistically easier to drive. The only difference if I could take the train nonstop would be that I could arrive in three hours less. Hell, whats 17 hours against 20? I may as well spend $150 in gas as opposed to $350 for a ticket to hop on a train and a freaking bus. Unless you're on the East coast it just isn't really worth it.

I took Amtrack to NYC in 1990. At the time, air fare was fairly expensive and my friend and I didn't want to drive and have to deal with parking. I had a great time and a positive experience overall. We sat in the coach on the way there and had a sleeper car on the way back. It cost around $350 or so, round trip. On the way out, we spent a good part of the night in the club car. We met some really interesting people-NYC residents who told us good places to visit and eat at, a German student travelling around the US for the summer, a church youth group on their way to do some community service, etc.

My only complaints were that we were stuck on the line for about an hour in the Hudson Valley. We were never told why. We also were stuck in Albany for a while, but we weren't stuck on the train at that stop and could go into the station and get food or whatever.