Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Japan 'to arrest anti-whaling activists' 
    Sonnabend
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-23109,00.html

From correspondents in Tokyo

Agence France-Presse

December 06, 2008 06:22pm

ANTI-whaling activists will be arrested if they forcibly interrupt Japan's whale hunting in the Antarctic Ocean, a report said today.

Ha ha.

Japan's fisheries agency and justice ministry made the decision to arrest intruding activists as a ship belonging to the US-based Sea Shepherd Conservation Society set sail from Australia in a bid to disrupt the Japanese whaling fleet, the Sankei Shimbun said.

Crew members from Japan's fleet would capture activists who board the whalers' boats and hand them over to the Japanese Coastguard, the report in the daily added.If arrested by the coastguard, they would be charged with forcible obstruction of business under Japanese law.

I'd prefer charges of piracy, but seeing those eco terrorists in jail will be a distinct pleasure.

During the last Antarctic hunt, Japan alleged that Sea Shepherd activists tracked down and hurled bottles of chemicals at the fleet to disrupt its operations, leading Japan to label them as “terrorist”.

Which they did.

Two activists boarded a Japanese whaler in January, sparking a two-day standoff before they were handed over to an Australian customs vessel.

Note to eco terrorists: stay on your own ship from now on.

Japan's fleet set off in mid-November heading for the Antarctic Ocean with plans to slaughter hundreds of whales, despite strong opposition from Australia and New Zealand, where whale-watching is a popular pastime.

Media lies again, they were in international waters...the whale watchers are inside Australian national maritime boundaries which the whalers never entered....so that's a load of bullshit.

Japanese whalers kill about 1000 whales a year using a loophole in a 1986 global whaling moratorium that allows “lethal research” on the ocean giants.Tokyo makes no secret of the fact that the meat ends up on dinner tables and accuses Westerners of insensitivity to its whaling culture. Only Norway and Iceland defy the whaling moratorium outright.

I happened to find the picture of whale sashimi.

Quote Originally Posted by wiegenlied View Post

I happened to find the picture of whale sashimi.
    I thought it would be bigger.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I thought it would be bigger.
    Um yeah, this is the raw meat:

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Prison in Japan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, please forgive any bad spelling or grammar.
    I recently read about Prisons in Japan. From what I read, the prisoners have no rights at all, and are treated badly even begfore convicted! Although I believe that people who commit crimes should be punnished, I still think that the innocent shouldn't suffer with the guilty. And humans should still be treated as humans, and shown mercy. ( but I am NOT against death penalties.)

For instance, when a person is arrested for a crime, they may be interrogated for many hours, even days, without food, water, or rest. there

have been many police brutality cases of kicking and hitting. This is to force a confession out of a person. After this, the person is held in a detention ward, and finally get to see a lawyer!

Some people have been held in detention wards waiting trial for long times, there have been people who were there ten years before they were finally released! If convicted of the crime and sent to prison, it gets worse.

Your head is shaven, and you were this gray uniform. There are rules that the prisoners must abide by. They can't move or speak unless they are permitted to. in single cells, there is barelly enough room to put a tatami! There are multiple cell rooms, where the prisoners are allowed to converse, but quietly. They can't exercise or even stretch unless permitted to. they take baths two times a week in the winter, and three times in the summer. they get three meals a day, breakfast and supper served in their cell. if they work, they eat lunch at a seperate room. They are allowed to work at factories.

For dissobediance, even for the slightest things, like looking at someones eyes, ( which is strickly forbidden!) they can be put in solitary confinement, sometimes they are bound up in a straight jackt like position, and not even permitted to move to go to the bathroom.

The conditions of the cells are pretty dirty and unsanitary. the guards often beat the prisoners. if anyone tries to bring suit against them, the police make sure to give there family a hard time.

They are permitted to receive and send letters only to memebers of immediate family, and everything is censored. A low grade prisonner may recieve a visit from one famliy memeber once a month. high grade prisonners even more.

Death Row inmates have a much worse time. they are not given work, but may request some. usually it is glueing something together in their cell. they only leave the cell for a solitary walk. they live in complete isolation, always in solitary confienment. Not a word can they say.
    One man was on death row for ten years, and without any family to write to, he never saw anyone but his gaurd durring that entire time! photos are not permitted.

Also, there have been many miscarriages of justice. One man spent forty years on death row before he was finally found to be innocent.

Waiting on Death row isn't easy either. because of "secret" executions, the prisonner never knows when his last day will be. Not the family, lawyer, or anybody is told before the execution, which is done by hanging. The prisonner himself may not know in as little as an hour before it happens. ( so much for last meals.)
    Some instances when the family was not even told about the death. they inquired about it, but no one would tell them anything. sometimes they don't notify the family of the death.

Prisonners are allowed radio, and TV, but all monitored by the prison. books are allowed up to two. and one note pad, two pens are permitted. however, these may be taken away for no given reason.

Please note that this is NOT what I have said. I have read this information from the International Human Rights Orginazation. I do not say that it is comepletly accurate, and please feel free to say anything contrary.
    I think prison should be bad enough that people want to stay out, but I also think that precautions must be taken to avoid the innocent suffering.

I would like to hear your opinion on this. and please don't mind my writting.
    Arigatou! http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18229

Sonnabend
    My opinion? Simple. Don't commit any crimes on Japanese soil or commit an offence for which the Japanese may try, convict and imprison you.

If you do and land in a Japanese prison? Your tough luck.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Banned
    I would like to see some of these anti-whaling law breakers wind up in jail. Tough shit if others consder treatment in Jap jails too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    My opinion? Simple. Don't commit any crimes on Japanese soil or commit an offence for which the Japanese may try, convict and imprison you.

If you do and land in a Japanese prison? Your tough luck.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

My opinion? We should nuke the Japanese again. I quit offending the Japanese after Pearl Harbor but of course some in America and abroad drive Mitsubishi cars. I don't forget.

Japanese whalers kill about 1000 whales a year using a loophole in a 1986 global whaling moratorium that allows “lethal research” on the ocean giants.
    Lethal research? Kinda like what Unit 731 was doing in China on human beings?

"I don't think I'll let you arrest us today Behan" Maybe the Japanese should do a background check on the crew of the Sea Shepard. They might find out there are a few ex and retired Navy Seals on board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOS20plm7UM
    Last edited by M21; 12-06-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by wiegenlied View Post
    Um yeah, this is the raw meat:

Now that's more like it. Surround it with rice and put a Kelp wrapping on it then let's dig in!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Sonnabend
    "I don't think I'll let you arrest us today Behan" Maybe the Japanese should do a background check on the crew of the Sea Shepard. They might find out there are a few ex and retired Navy Seals on board.
    Then maybe those ex and retired Navy Seals would be better off finding a better line of work than associating with eco terrorists.

If they board a Japanese ship in international waters then they are subject to arrest and subject to Japanese law. Actions have consequences.