Thread: Maybe Obama won't be as bad as we thought

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Wow! This thread took a major detour. Megimoo gave it a little nudge back to the original topic, but once a train derails...

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Obama has actually done some things which I approve of: He's kept Gates on as SECDEF, selected a serious National Security Advisor and he's decided against early reversal of the Bush tax cuts. Regardless of our political affiliations, he is the president and Commander-in-Chief, and to the extent that we agree with his policies, we should support them, and oppose them when we don't, but we should never give in to the derangement that the left embraced during the Bush years. We're better than they are.
    A couple of interesting things popped up since I started this thread, which puts a different light on the subject. Mainly, there was the segment from Hardball where Chris Matthews interviewed 2 left-wing idiots: David Corn and Tim Carpenter. I don't know where the video is anymore, but the the tail end of the transcript is published on Newsbusters:
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffre...re-are-lefties
    In it, there is obvious angst that Obummer hasn't made very many "progressive" appointments to his cabinet. Matthews suggests that Obummer may be doing a "head fake", or trying to put a centrist front on the exterior to please America while moving the nation to the left when America isn't looking. When he said that, I thought that may have just been wishful thinking on his part, hoping that Obummer was beginning to disappoint his base by not delivering on his promises.

Then there was this article from AIM today:
    http://www.aim.org/aim-column/is-oba...leninist-line/
    Snippets from it include:
    On the Rag Blog website, Mark Rudd makes some revealing remarks of his own, defending the “conservative appointments” of the President-elect and saying that they are part of a deliberate strategy to “feint to the right” and “move left.” He explains, “Any other strategy invites sure defeat.”
    left-wingers questioning Obama’s cabinet picks should “Look to the second level appointments. There’s a whole govt. in waiting that Podesta has at the Center for American Progress. They’re mostly progressives,
    FYI, Mark Rudd is a former member of the Weather Underground.
    Nothing says "idiot inside" better than an Obama/Biden bumper sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
    Wow! This thread took a major detour. Megimoo gave it a little nudge back to the original topic, but once a train derails...

A couple of interesting things popped up since I started this thread, which puts a different light on the subject. Mainly, there was the segment from Hardball where Chris Matthews interviewed 2 left-wing idiots: David Corn and Tim Carpenter. I don't know where the video is anymore, but the the tail end of the transcript is published on Newsbusters:
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffre...re-are-lefties
    In it, there is obvious angst that Obummer hasn't made very many "progressive" appointments to his cabinet. Matthews suggests that Obummer may be doing a "head fake", or trying to put a centrist front on the exterior to please America while moving the nation to the left when America isn't looking. When he said that, I thought that may have just been wishful thinking on his part, hoping that Obummer was beginning to disappoint his base by not delivering on his promises.

Then there was this article from AIM today:
    http://www.aim.org/aim-column/is-oba...leninist-line/
    Snippets from it include:

FYI, Mark Rudd is a former member of the Weather Underground.
    Sounds like it's either a head fake or a leftist talking point to keep the faithful in line. Either way, we'll know when we know. One obvious indicator will be the nomination of Bill Ayers as Secretary of Education.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    At Ft. Bliss, 11th ADA Brigade and 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment used to pretty much swap out their wives without meaning to. Both units used to spend a lot of time in the field but hardly ever at the same time. When 3rd ACR was in the field, the ADA soldiers would fuck their women and when we went out to the field, 3rd ACR was probably tagging ours.
    My wife had a girlfriend who no shit was seeing a guy off to Iraq and as he was getting on a plane to leave her husband was getting off a plane coming home from Iraq. Same airport just different flights. Pretty scandalous.

But yeah, this thread got off topic pretty much. :p
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke