Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11  
    Senior Member GrumpyOldLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It can't be too big of a controversy since I haven't heard of this before now and I keep myself pretty well informed on the goings on within the Christian religion.
    Then this one must have snuck by you.

    Binny Hinn and other tele-evangelist types are into this.

    Some group called 'the Toronto group' - a bunch of folks into something called 'the Toronto Blessing' (I think) are into it as well. Not just that laugh 'blessing' thing - but the gold dust and gemstones. There are pockets of these things springing up here and there.

    Since you don't think the term 'fundamentalist' should be used with this ... give me one that I can use because I have no idea what to label this bunch that is claiming gold dust and gemstones. They SEEM to be fundamentalists to me - but I'll go by whatever label you want me to use.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,374
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    I definately don't understand the word 'fundamentalist' then.
    I'm going by what I'm reading.
    The info is all over the place and I don't understand it at all.
    That's why I'm asking.
    Fundamentalists believe in a basic literal reading of the Bible. They do, however, try to differentiate between when the Bible is speaking literally and when it is speaking allegorically. For example when Jesus says things like plucking out an eye if you lust, he is speaking allegorically and is trying to stress how bad lust is. However when he says that one must repent of one sins and be baptized in the Holy Spirit he is speaking literally. Both of these are fundamentalist view points. Since Christ never said that any thing like gold and gems would rain down on our heads during prayer then we can pretty much assume that fundamentalist won't accept it.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 12-08-2008 at 09:30 AM.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,374
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Then this one must have snuck by you.

    Binny Hinn and other tele-evangelist types are into this.

    Some group called 'the Toronto group' - a bunch of folks into something called 'the Toronto Blessing' (I think) are into it as well. Not just that laugh 'blessing' thing - but the gold dust and gemstones. There are pockets of these things springing up here and there.

    Since you don't think the term 'fundamentalist' should be used with this ... give me one that I can use because I have no idea what to label this bunch that is claiming gold dust and gemstones. They SEEM to be fundamentalists to me - but I'll go by whatever label you want me to use.
    All you needed to say was Benny Hinn and I would have known to file this as rubbish. Benny Hinn also said that God told him that before the end of the 90's all the gays would be either dead or converted to Christianity and become heterosexuals. That little prediction didn't exactly work out. The bible tells us how to recognize a false prophet. Benny Hinn is a false prophet and a false teacher.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member GrumpyOldLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,304
    So then these folks are christians but have broken off from the traditional fundamentalist christian groups and are sort of on their own? THAT I can understand. Some are claiming to be 'baptist' or 'assemblies of god' but they have veered from the traditional teachings of those churches?

    Kinda like when Catholics in the Pacific island crucify themselves on Good Friday - that's not Catholic teaching and they are off doing their own thing???

    If so - you have answered one of my questions. I was wondering if this is a new teaching or a new thing that is accepted and pushed by a generally known denomination.

    These are some of the names that are associated with 'gold dust' - Rodney Howard-Browne, Randy Clark, John Arnott, John Kilpatrick, Steve Hill, Colin Dye, Sandy Millar, Gerald Coates, David Pytches, Terry Virgo, Benny Hinn, David Yonggi Cho, Kenneth Copeland, and Morris Cerullo. (I only recognize the Benny Hinn name).

    There are other small churches scattered throughout America and Canada that are claiming this dusting thing. I've seen the videos and read accounts. It's not isolated.

    It seems to be 'up and coming' - or perhaps it's just going to be a fad that will come and go.

    I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this - or experienced this - and what the story is.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,374
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    So then these folks are christians but have broken off from the traditional fundamentalist christian groups and are sort of on their own? THAT I can understand. Some are claiming to be 'baptist' or 'assemblies of god' but they have veered from the traditional teachings of those churches?

    Kinda like when Catholics in the Pacific island crucify themselves on Good Friday - that's not Catholic teaching and they are off doing their own thing???

    If so - you have answered one of my questions. I was wondering if this is a new teaching or a new thing that is accepted and pushed by a generally known denomination.

    These are some of the names that are associated with 'gold dust' - Rodney Howard-Browne, Randy Clark, John Arnott, John Kilpatrick, Steve Hill, Colin Dye, Sandy Millar, Gerald Coates, David Pytches, Terry Virgo, Benny Hinn, David Yonggi Cho, Kenneth Copeland, and Morris Cerullo. (I only recognize the Benny Hinn name).

    There are other small churches scattered throughout America and Canada that are claiming this dusting thing. I've seen the videos and read accounts. It's not isolated.

    It seems to be 'up and coming' - or perhaps it's just going to be a fad that will come and go.

    I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this - or experienced this - and what the story is.
    I am not sure if they are charlotans or not. They may seriously believe what they are experiencing. Belief is a funny thing sometimes. Benny Hinn on the otherhand is a false prophet and anyone who associates too closely to him is suspect in my mind. I try to judge the message by the individual but warning flags are raised by association. If someone is hanging out with Osama Bin Laden it is safe to conclude that he doesn't have your best interests at heart.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,455
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    All you needed to say was Benny Hinn and I would have known to file this as rubbish. .... Benny Hinn is a false prophet and a false teacher.
    And his fashion sense is appalling.

    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,374
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    And his fashion sense is appalling.

    He looks like he should be instructing rock stars and actors in yoga and meditation.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,849
    I think it's interesting from a group behavior observation level, but I also think that the woman in the first video and her friend are faking it somehow. I don't know who she is, but she comes across to me as a charlatan-like Benny Hinn.

    I wouldn't ever say that this phenomenon was beyond God's abilities or powers- I have heard of rosaries being dipped into holy water at certain sites (like Lourdes) and changing from glass to gold or silver. The people involved in those situations were also healed of physical ailments, and believed that the changed rosaries were confirmation of those healings. I believe that the Holy Spirit heals people, I've witnessed it and have participated in laying hands on people. But I'd never be able to convince a skeptic that it happened.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post

    Anyone out there know anything about this gold dust/gemstone thing?
    Can you explain it to me? Thanks.
    In my opinion, claims of gold dust and gemstones appearing as a result of prayer are a natural extension of prosperity theology...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

    ...and are unsubstantiated. Making substances or small objects seem to appear out of thin air is the kind of thing even amateur magicians can accomplish.

    My advice to you: If your preacher starts making claims about gold dust or gemstones appearing out of thin air, walk away while keeping a firm grip on your wallet or purse.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 12-08-2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    More appropriately known as the "Word of Faith" Movement rather than Fundamentalists.

    Many of the nations most well known fundamentalist Preachers and Teachers denounce Word-Faith theology as aberrant and contrary to the teachings of the Bible.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

    You Say The Battle Is Over
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •