Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Monday, November 10, 2008
    Sylvania Machado: "Gold Dust" exposed as a Plastic Glitter Parlor Trick.

Source; http://www.voici-les-miracles.com/article-2190975.html

I have met Sylvania Machado, and have friends that host her when she comes to the US. I have seen the “gold dust” and the “oil”

The gold dust is not gold dust, but plastic glitter. It is all done by sleight of hand.

She never praises Jesus, Worships, or declares that Jesus Christ is her Saviour.

The oil is a homemade concoction of essential oils in olive oil.

http://riverforum.blogspot.com/2008/...xposed-as.html
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    All you needed to say was Benny Hinn and I would have known to file this as rubbish. Benny Hinn also said that God told him that before the end of the 90's all the gays would be either dead or converted to Christianity and become heterosexuals. That little prediction didn't exactly work out. The bible tells us how to recognize a false prophet. Benny Hinn is a false prophet and a false teacher.
    Agreed. Hinn is horrible and a disgrace to Christianity.

As far as this gold dust phenomena:
    In my experience, if it wasn't something Jesus was overly concerned with or taught...then you might want to check out if it's scriptural.

I can't remember too many passages about gold dust.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    More appropriately known as the "Word of Faith" Movement rather than Fundamentalists. .
    Excellent! Thank you for the clarification. My apologies to any fundamentalists out there.
    That's why I asked. I have no idea.

Okay - the "Word of Faith" movement is into this gold dust and gemstone thing.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    More appropriately known as the "Word of Faith" Movement rather than Fundamentalists.

Many of the nations most well known fundamentalist Preachers and Teachers denounce Word-Faith theology as aberrant and contrary to the teachings of the Bible.
    Word of Faith churches are what I would describe as fundamentalist churches.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Agreed. Hinn is horrible and a disgrace to Christianity.

As far as this gold dust phenomena:
    In my experience, if it wasn't something Jesus was overly concerned with or taught...then you might want to check out if it's scriptural.

I can't remember too many passages about gold dust.

But plenty that condemn placing the value of things over people. Why would God shower someone with gold dust, unless it was a way of accomplishing a greater goal, like healing that person?

Zeus showered Danae with gold, but that was just his fun way of fathering Perseus, sort of like how he turned himself into a swan to seduce Leda (and father Helen of Troy and Clymentestra). But the God of Jesus and Judiaism is not that kind of randy God, except for the one occasion. Even then, he sent his angel to do it for him, or to announce that it was already done-I've never been real clear on the process of the conception of Jesus, and really never was all that concerned about the specifics.

Let's clarify a few things for the sake of discussion. Fundamentalism in the Christian context springs from a movement at the beginning of the last century to define core Christian doctrines that all "normative" Christians share to one degree or another.

Inerrancy of the Scriptures
    The virgin birth and the deity of Jesus (Isaiah 7:14)
    The doctrine of substitutionary atonement by God's grace and through human faith (Hebrews 9)
    The bodily resurrection of Jesus (Matthew 28)
    The authenticity of Christ's miracles (or, alternatively, his pre-millennial second coming)*
    (swiped from Wiki)

Inerrancy is not the same a literal view. Usually, it means that a believer cannot be deceived by scripture in terms of faith and morals although some portions of scripture are more metaphorical than journalistic.

All traditional Christians share these views. The Orthodox church believes in these, the Roman Catholics, all the liturgical Protestants, and most of the Baptists and Bible-believing churches. In short, all Christians aside from "progressive" Christians and few small denominations.

The phenomena you describe isn't new and it isn't much thought about outside the churches promoting it.

Before fillings, people had their eyeglasses or rosaries or whatever turn to "gold".

The recent phenomena is a part of the whole slain-in-the-spirit movement that started in Toronto in the late 80s/early 90s. That movement has undergone intensely negative criticism with Christianity. It's not representative of ordinary Christian thought, it isn't widespread, and we think it's just about as hinkey as you do. It doesn't have anything to do with Christian fundamentalism.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    But plenty that condemn placing the value of things over people. Why would God shower someone with gold dust, unless it was a way of accomplishing a greater goal, like healing that person?

Zeus showered Danae with gold, but that was just his fun way of fathering Perseus, sort of like how he turned himself into a swan to seduce Leda (and father Helen of Troy and Clymentestra). But the God of Jesus and Judiaism is not that kind of randy God, except for the one occasion. Even then, he sent his angel to do it for him, or to announce that it was already done-I've never been real clear on the process of the conception of Jesus, and really never was all that concerned about the specifics.
    I'm not sure I follow. Could you clarify?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Word of Faith churches are what I would describe as fundamentalist churches.
    That you because you have an incorrect view of what fundamentalism. Think of the word fundamental in mind. With no religious slant what does fundamental mean?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Before fillings, people had their eyeglasses or rosaries or whatever turn to "gold".
    Yes. My rosary turned gold. So did my husbands.
    I am not opposed to miracles and God using different means to direct people.
    I am open to 'gold dust' etc falling on those in deep prayer.
    I believe it COULD happen. God can do anything He wants to.

I just doubt these are authentic.

This gold dust and gemstone thing is new. Rosaries turning gold is very old.

I just wanted to know more about it. I'm trying to figure it out.

And I wasn't meaning to be critical or snooty about 'fundamentalists'.

I'm just trying to understand. This stuff isn't in my universe of worship or understanding.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Yes. My rosary turned gold. So did my husbands.
    I am not opposed to miracles and God using different means to direct people.
    I am open to 'gold dust' etc falling on those in deep prayer.
    I believe it COULD happen. God can do anything He wants to.

I just doubt these are authentic.

This gold dust and gemstone thing is new. Rosaries turning gold is very old.

I just wanted to know more about it. I'm trying to figure it out.

And I wasn't meaning to be critical or snooty about 'fundamentalists'.

I'm just trying to understand. This stuff isn't in my universe of worship or understanding.
    The gold phenomena is not new. That was my point. It goes back for centuries. The only new part is that Protestants are involved and even that isn't very new. Only the gilded objects change - the gold and gemstones remain constant.

I don't know or care if this phenomenon is real. I know enough about the churches and pastors promoting it to know that they are marching off track in terms of theology. All these group rely heavily on contemporary prophecy, personal visions and "understandings", and in private revelation.

That alone is enough to make me wary. God's word isn't cloaked in some kind of arcane code that is known to a handful of prophets. It's clear and blunt. Anyone can access it at any time without the experience of being slain in the spirit or having that word interpreted through private revelation.