1. #1 Test Reveals Jealousy in Pooches 
    Banned
    Test reveals dogs' jealous side

Scientists in Austria say they have found a basic form of jealousy in dogs.

The Vienna-based researchers showed that dogs will stop doing a simple task when not rewarded if another dog, which continues to be rewarded, is present.

Writing in the journal PNAS, the scientists say this shows a sensitivity in dogs that was only previously found in primates.

This seems very interesting.

They had to study this? Words fail.

Send me money for my new research: women eat more in front of dogs than they do in front of other women. This is ground-breaking stuff, people. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They had to study this? Words fail.

Send me money for my new research: women eat more in front of dogs than they do in front of other women. This is ground-breaking stuff, people. :D

My dog flipped out with jealousy over the holidays-not toward me, but toward my 6 year old neice, whom she adores. She attacked my mom's dog for going near the kid. My dog usually doesn't act this way, but she is very attached to my neice, and follows the child everywhere. I can't get her to obey me when this child is around, because Katie is so in to her.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My dog flipped out with jealousy over the holidays-not toward me, but toward my 6 year old neice, whom she adores. She attacked my mom's dog for going near the kid. My dog usually doesn't act this way, but she is very attached to my neice, and follows the child everywhere. I can't get her to obey me when this child is around, because Katie is so in to her.
    It sounds more like defensive behavior than jealousy.

Our dogs will try to push the other dog away if one is getting "too much" attention, at least in their estimation. It's tough trying to pet 3 hounds at the same time.

Banned
    When I remodeled the house I put a sunroom along the length of the rear of the house and a large archway to it. The windows on it are low to the ground. From two of the windows the dogs can see all the way into the kitchen. When I am cooking, they will stand at the window staring in. Both of them will be fine, until I call to them. Once I do, then Shorty starts pushing Patches away from the window and won't let him peek in. Even if he has to guard both windows.

A couple of times a week I will slice up a couple of hot dogs. The dogs will stand at my feet and I will call their name and give them a slice of the hot dog, one at a time. "This one is for Patches." and I give Patches his slice of hot dog. "And this one is for Shorty." And I give Shorty his. They patiently wait their turn. Even if I flip it into the air for them, only the one who's turn it is will catch it. Unless I get crossed up in the rotation. Should I get distracted and one dog gets two in a row, you should see how they react.