link

Eugene (35,012 posts)

Trump seeks $25 billion for border wall, offers 'Dreamer' citizenship

Source: Reuters

#POLITICS JANUARY 24, 2018 / 2:54 PM / UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

Trump seeks $25 billion for border wall, offers 'Dreamer' citizenship

Roberta Rampton, Susan Cornwell
    4 MIN READ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Wednesday previewed his outline for an immigration bill that he will promote next week, saying he wants $25 billion to build a border wall and is open to granting citizenship to illegal immigrants who were brought to the United States as children.

Trump said he was optimistic he could come to an agreement with both Republicans and Democrats in the U.S. Congress that would appeal to hardliners seeking tougher rules for immigrants while also preventing the roughly 700,000 “Dreamers” from being deported.

“Tell them not to be concerned, ok? Tell them not to worry. We’re going to solve the problem. It’s up to the Democrats, but they (the Dreamers) should not be concerned,” Trump told reporters during an impromptu question-and-answer session at the White House.

-snip-

Trump said his proposal would include a request for $25 billion for the border wall, $5 billion for other border security programs, measures to curb family sponsorship of immigrants, and an overhaul of or end to the visa lottery system.

In exchange, he said he wanted to offer the Dreamers protection from deportation and an “incentive” of citizenship, perhaps in 10 to 12 years.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1FD2UU

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Eighteen billion! Twenty! Twenty-five billion! Do I hear thirty?
    Freethinker65 (2,904 posts)

1. Keep DACA clean. Do not tie it to immigration or the stupid wall.
    Right. Approve DACA without FIXING the problem of illegal immigration. NO.

No wall, no security measures, NO DACA.
    BigmanPigman (10,066 posts)

4. I agree.

I have given this considerable thought over the past few days. After listening to a rational and experienced guest on Chris Hayes last night, it seems that this is the wisest way to get the Dreamers and DACA the rights they deserve without being held hostage by partisan BS games and suffer more undue stress and uncertainty.
    dawg day (336 posts)

8. i think they deserve compromise

Really, if Schumer can get Trump to agree to a path to citizenship and immediate legalization and protection from deportation, heck, promise him money for his stupid wall-- like $4 billion "this year". It's peanuts compared to 700K young lives. And the wall isn't ever going to be built. Trump will get bored, and see some photos of 29 yards of it, and say, "I won!" and that will be the last anyone hears of it.
    lpbk2713 (32,989 posts) 2. Fuck his silly ass wall.

When I think of how $25B could be spent on schools, health care and homeless people it pisses me off. He can't be removed from office too soon to suit me, one way or another. Obama was a bridge builder. This asshole wants to be a wall builder. No surprise there.
    Build the wall and we won't need as much money for schools, health care and homeless people, as well as prisons and the court system.

Demtexan (1,482 posts)

3. Until he changes his mind.

Or Miller changes his mind.

How much of that fence money will find it way back to asshole.

That is why he wants the wall.
    Just because that IS what the Clinton's did, doesn't mean Republicans do.

m3n0z (31 posts)

11. Do not under estimate Trump

He might split dreamers and "illegals".
    Seriously, If he gets a solution for dreamers w/o democrats
    it will be used in the coming election cycles.

“Tell them not to be concerned, ok? Tell them not to worry.
    We’re going to solve the problem. It’s up to the Democrats,
    but they (the Dreamers) should not be concerned,”

He just made them a promise and if he finds a way to
    deliver with out democrat votes, well I can imagine how
    voters will remember who delivered for THEM.
    Because Democrats want all illegal immigrant legalized with no wall or other security and with chain migration intact. Illegal Immigrants are just the latest "slaves" on the Democrat plantation. And they want to make sure that their 'slave ships' keep on arriving.

Freethinker65 (2,904 posts)

1. Keep DACA clean. Do not tie it to immigration or the stupid wall.
    If we would have had a strong wall on the border in the first place, there would have never been any reason for daca.

lpbk2713 (32,989 posts) 2. Fuck his silly ass wall.

When I think of how $25B could be spent on schools, health care and homeless people it pisses me off.
    Illegal aliens are costing the American taxpayer over $115 billion a year (net). This comes out to approximately $8,075.00 per family in taxes. Think of how that $8,075.00 could stimulate the economy if each family could freely spend it on discretionary goods and services rather than piss it away on illegal invaders. Think if how that could be spent in schools and healthcare for American citizens. Our homeless problem would be reduced when jobs aren't lost to illegals who are willing to work for lower wages and take jobs from legal American Citizens..

Total Governmental Expenditures on Illegal Aliens

Total Tax Contributions by Illegal Aliens

Total Economic Impact of Illegal Immigration

https://fairus.org/issue/publication...ates-taxpayers
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The Black Community better watch it, the Dems
    think they have you people in the bag. Now they
    are moving on to the fucking "Dreamers" and
    DACA.

Not that the Dems really care about the
    Blacks, they just see more fresh votes with
    the illegal scum.

The Democratics want to turn this country into
    a 3rd world Shit-Hole. As long as it's THEIR
    3rd world Shit-Hole.

Disgusting.