1. #1 Minnesota School District Bans Literary Classics Because They’re RACIST 
    The immortal words of author Ray Bradbury from his dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 “It was a pleasure to burn” and while we have not arrived at the point of actually torching books (yet) they are being disappeared at an alarming rate.

The cultural cleansers are at it again up in the northernmost reaches of the United States where liberal zealots are banning books from libraries because the content has been deemed as racist.

Thanks to busybodies and SJW’s in the Duluth public school district, the enduring literary classics “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” have been ripped from the shelves and will no longer be a part of the curriculum.

The northern Minnesota city’s school district officials buckled under pressure to the local chapter of the NAACP – an organization that depends on the idea of black oppression and the rise of a new form of white supremacy for its very existence.

The Duluth News-Tribune reports “Duluth schools remove ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ ‘Huckleberry Finn’ from curriculum”:

The novels “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” will no longer be required reading in the Duluth school district due to the books’ use of a racial slur, a curriculum change supported by the local NAACP chapter.

The two books will continue to be available in school libraries and can be optional reading for students, but beginning next school year, they’ll be replaced as required reading by other literature that addresses the same topics in ninth- and 11th-grade English classes, said Michael Cary, the district’s director of curriculum and instruction.

The district’s intent is to be considerate of all of its students, Cary said. The district owes it to its students to not subject them to a racial slur that marginalizes them in their required learning, he said. He added that district leaders felt that there are many other options in literature that can teach the same lessons as the two novels without containing a racial slur.

“We felt that we could still teach the same standards and expectations through other novels that didn’t require students to feel humiliated or marginalized by the use of racial slurs,” Cary said.

There wasn’t a specific complaint that triggered the decision, but it was a response to complaints about the books’ use of a racial slur that the district has faced for a number of years, Cary said. Superintendent Bill Gronseth said the Duluth school district was hearing from students that the book’s use of a racial slur created an uncomfortable atmosphere for them in the classroom.

Stephan Witherspoon, president of the NAACP’s local chapter, applauded the school district’s decision to stop requiring students to read the books. Some people think the novels are educational literature for students, he said, but the novels are “just hurtful” and use “hurtful language that has oppressed the people for over 200 years.” The district’s use of the books as required reading has been an ongoing discussion between elders in the local NAACP and district leaders for years, Witherspoon said.

“It’s wrong. There are a lot more authors out there with better literature that can do the same thing that does not degrade our people.

Today it’s “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” but tomorrow…
    They will be replaced by a book entitled "The Wit and Wisdom of Harvey Weinstein" (an autobiography)

https://downtrend.com/donn-marten/mi...theyre-racist/

I seem to remember To Kill A Mockingbird being praised as having a character that stands up for blacks or something. Like he makes a speech in court about the importance of all people or something.

I also remember being encouraged to write a paper in school about book censorship and how bad that is, haha.

To Kill A Mockingbird is an American Classic and all high school students should be required to read it before they graduate. They also should still be required to read A Tale Of Two Cities, or another Dickens' classic.

They've been trying to get Huckleberry Finn banned since I was in school. They also tried to ban The Diary Of Anne Frank at one time, and of course, The Catcher In The Rye (which my school had in it's library, but did not use for any class reading).

I've never understood the push to ban "Huckleberry Finn". The only decent adult human being in it is Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
    I've never understood the push to ban "Huckleberry Finn". The only decent adult human being in it is Jim.

It's because of the use of the n word. Even though Twain was not a racist, he was capturing the language of the people of the times and they called Jim by that word. According to the high school teacher I had for the class in which we read it, the main theme of the story is that the journey with Jim is Huck's baptism into manhood by the most worthy male role model in his world-a slave, Jim.

I think the Widow Douglass is basically good human being, but she can't be a role model for a boy who is becoming a man.

Won't be long before they start going after books that "teach sexism by portraying men as superior to women." Then they'll probably figure out how to attack books as being "anti-LGBTUVWXYZ." And I bet they'll go after the Grapes of Wrath because it portrays poor people in a bad light.
    Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    I loved Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, I am a southerner and never ever felt any racism even being born in 48, I rode the bus that had blacks in the back, I saw the colored only bathrooms and the drinking fountains. I don't belong to any group or organization that hate blacks or would want others to hate them. I still get the tag of an old white man so might as well use it. If today s youth is all we have the nation is in big trouble. None of us old white guys will be around much longer to pull them out of the destruction, they will have to man up and do it themselves , once again they're in trouble.

I wonder where they got the idea that certain books are bad and must be kept from the public....

"People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM