Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hey Dummies, I got a non-bouncy for you: from a California university no less! 
    Power CUer
    Very much a true story and a harbinger for the Democrat future, methinks.

A good friend of mine works for a California university. He works in facilities. One morning two weeks ago, he went up to one of the classrooms to fix a lock in the door. It was really early, around 8 or so. The room was supposed to be empty until 11, but there was a middle-aged female professor in it. She seemed a little irked about having him there, and my friend thought, "Great, another entitled professor."

However, it turned out that the professor had just been having problems with her video projector. He watched kind of amused as she tried all the buttons and eventually hit on the one that worked. She became much more relaxed when the projector started to work and apologized for being so irked. She explained it wasn't him, it was the computer. She was apparently new to the school, part time, and it was her second day. My friend is a nice guy, so he smiled and said it was ok.

After that, they started talking. Somehow, the discussion got around to the news. My friend, a union guy who voted for Trump, was very careful. He always has to be at the university. The faculty/staff parking is full of "Hillary" and "Coexist" and "Resist" bumper stickers. Well, this professor was talking about a local newspaper story. She shook her head and said "Fake news." My friend was surprised, but she wasn't kidding, although he thinks she was being equally careful.

The kicker came when they started chatting about the State of the Union Address and how the Democrats didn't stand for anything. The professor turned to my friend and said something like, "He's our best chance to get our country back." My friend turned to her and said, "He's our only chance."

Neither one of them mentioned Trump's name or even mentioned any specific politician by name. They were both being careful. But my friend says she's friendly to him now and waves when she sees him.

And no, it's not a bouncy. It's a real story. No cops jumping out of the bushes. Nobody making any great dramatic stands. Just two folks on a campus where you can't mention that you voted for Trump finding out that they both did.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 02-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Nice post, Elspeth ... I loved it!

They were both being careful. But my friend says she's friendly to him now and waves when she sees him.

>snip<

Just two folks on a campus where you can't mention that you voted for Trump finding out that they both did.
    Would be great to see what the DUmp would have to say about this, if only they were allowed to comment on what they have read over here.

American By Choice ~ 1980

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC View Post
    Nice post, Elspeth ... I loved it!

Would be great to see what the DUmp would have to say about this, if only they were allowed to comment on what they have read over here.
    They'll probably think it's fake. But I have to tell you, this guy is at my church and is a straight shooter. He was really amazed, but I told him that since the professor was part time in middle age it could mean two things:

That she had a master's (or Phd?) and started teaching after having a real job somewhere else OR

She could be a lifelong adjunct professor--someone who never got full time. The adjuncts are really abused in the university system and she may have more in common with the white working class than with the upper middle educated class that she should belong to. She may be less financially well off than my friend is--in fact, she probably is. He has a union job and it's steady. He'll leave only when he wants to leave. Adjuncts, on the other hand, can be kicked out if some kid gets "triggered" in class.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Very much a true story and a harbinger for the Democrat future, methinks.

A good friend of mine works for a California university. He works in facilities. One morning two weeks ago, he went up to one of the classrooms to fix a lock in the door. It was really early, around 8 or so. The room was supposed to be empty until 11, but there was a middle-aged female professor in it. She seemed a little irked about having him there, and my friend thought, "Great, another entitled professor."

However, it turned out that the professor had just been having problems with her video projector. He watched kind of amused as she tried all the buttons and eventually hit on the one that worked. She became much more relaxed when the projector started to work and apologized for being so irked. She explained it wasn't him, it was the computer. She was apparently new to the school, part time, and it was her second day. My friend is a nice guy, so he smiled and said it was ok.

After that, they started talking. Somehow, the discussion got around to the news. My friend, a union guy who voted for Trump, was very careful. He always has to be at the university. The faculty/staff parking is full of "Hillary" and "Coexist" and "Resist" bumper stickers. Well, this professor was talking about a local newspaper story. She shook her head and said "Fake news." My friend was surprised, but she wasn't kidding, although he thinks she was being equally careful.

The kicker came when they started chatting about the State of the Union Address and how the Democrats didn't stand for anything. The professor turned to my friend and said something like, "He's our best chance to get our country back." My friend turned to her and said, "He's our only chance."

Neither one of them mentioned Trump's name or even mentioned any specific politician by name. They were both being careful. But my friend says she's friendly to him now and waves when she sees him.

And no, it's not a bouncy. It's a real story. No cops jumping out of the bushes. Nobody making any great dramatic stands. Just two folks on a campus where you can't mention that you voted for Trump finding out that they both did.

Now the University is like some third world dictatorship ; living in fear of informants and secret police.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    ....... Adjuncts, on the other hand, can be kicked out if some kid gets "triggered" in class.
    And in many cases can make less than minimum wage given the prep time, required office hours and dept meetings. I've been approached twice on that and declined in no uncertain terms. I love to teach those who want to learn but on my terms these days.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    "Triggered"...I'd like to "Trigger" some of those a-holes
    with a

Loved the story!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    And in many cases can make less than minimum wage given the prep time, required office hours and dept meetings. I've been approached twice on that and declined in no uncertain terms. I love to teach those who want to learn but on my terms these days.
    There was a left wing journalist--Chris Hedges--who wrote an article about adjuncts being the new working poor. I can't find it right now, but I'll look.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post

Now the University is like some third world dictatorship ; living in fear of informants and secret police.
    Apparently so. You have to be so careful of what you say.

This also explains why Trump's win was unexpected. When you cannot say you support Trump, you go 'underground' and vote for him secretly. The media likes to shrug off his win but it was an epic feat achieved. Democrats voted for Trump en masse.

Nothing Trump has ever said has been odd or extreme at all. He is common sense. They would like you to believe otherwise.

There are a lot of news shows I watch and during Obama they were pretty mellow. When Trump was running and during Trump's first year, EVERY WEEK these shows would say 'This is it for Trump! Impeachment is surely expected!' and the first few dozen times they did it, I BELIEVED THEM. I finally just stopped watching them altogether and these are shows I've watched for years and years loyally. I do not understand why people don't like him. Even if you are a middle of the road type of person, which I think of myself to be, I think he is just great.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by greatagain View Post
    This also explains why Trump's win was unexpected. When you cannot say you support Trump, you go 'underground' and vote for him secretly. The media likes to shrug off his win but it was an epic feat achieved. Democrats voted for Trump en masse.
    I think you are right. During the latter part of the election, some right wing pundits were predicting a "monster vote" for Trump. How big the monster was I don't know, but there were many people who kept their intentions to themselves.

There are a lot of news shows I watch and during Obama they were pretty mellow. When Trump was running and during Trump's first year, EVERY WEEK these shows would say 'This is it for Trump! Impeachment is surely expected!' and the first few dozen times they did it, I BELIEVED THEM. I finally just stopped watching them altogether and these are shows I've watched for years and years loyally. I do not understand why people don't like him. Even if you are a middle of the road type of person, which I think of myself to be, I think he is just great.
    There is a very interesting article that ALL lefties should read (and us too!) about who really helped bring us Donald Trump. Hint: It wasn't the Russians.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/do...l-for-fascism/

...The Clinton campaign, aware that the policy differences between her and a candidate such as Jeb Bush were minuscule, plotted during the primaries to elevate the fringe Republican candidates—especially Trump. To the Democratic strategists, a match between Clinton and Trump seemed made in heaven. Trump, with his “brain trust” of Rudy Giuliani and Chris Christie, would make Clinton look like a savior.

A memo addressed to the Democratic National Committee under the heading “Our Goals & Strategy” was part of the trove of John Podesta emails released this month by WikiLeaks.

“Our hope is that the goal of a potential HRC [Hillary Rodham Clinton] campaign and the DNC would be one-in-the-same: to make whomever the Republicans nominate unpalatable to the majority of the electorate. We have outlined three strategies to obtain our goal …,” it reads.

The memo names Ted Cruz, Donald Trump and Ben Carson as candidates, or what the memo calls “Pied Piper” candidates who could push mainstream candidates closer to the positions embraced by the lunatic right. “We need to be elevating the Pied Piper candidates so that they are leaders of the pack and tell the press to [take] them seriously.”...