Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    There's something very profound in that statement, Molon Labe. I think the answer is that the screamers want everyone to be tolerant of THEM but they shouldn't have to return the favor to anyone else. It's a one way street: you give us what we want or you're intolerant. We, however, can spit on you with impunity.

And I think, in the end, that gives the lie to the whole thing. They are like badly behaved teenagers who want and feel entitled to everything their parents do for them but who can't even be bothered to get a $2 mother's day card or father's day card in return.
    Not saying we aren't all capable of intolerance even as Conservatives.....but let me tell a story.

I collect political buttons.

During the 04' election I asked my wife to drop by the local Democratic headquarters to pick up Kerry button for me. She is not political at all ...and doesn't tend to get into discourse as I do.

At the headquarters she saw an old friend who was supporting Kerry and talked to her for several minutes. There was no animosity between them.

As the conversation progressed more volunteers got into the conversation....but the mistake came when she answered another volunteer's question ...."So are voting for Kerry?" Well...when she said she was voting for Bush...she just wanted a button for her husband...the whole place erupted.

Her friend pretty much stayed out of it...but every volunteer started murmuring and then when she continued to stay and talk to her friend...they went and got the headquaters manager to throw her out. He was belligerant and got into her face......It was unbelieveably telling.

I've been collecting these things for over 20 years and I haven't ever run into this type of thing...but I learned alot that day about the kind of tolerance praciticed by the Democrats in my home town.
    Last edited by Molon Labe; 06-19-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: sp
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    And where else but DU will you find the stories about ending a marriage/friendship/relationship due to politics. Politics is an intertesting function in our society but it'll be a cold day in Hell before
    I let it rule my life like many of the DUmmies do.

And the Mental Health and Astrology sections are just pure Gold on DU. It's like shooting fish in a barrel...

:D Enjoy your stay here Elspeth, DU's loss is CU's gain.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    And where else but DU will you find the stories about ending a marriage/friendship/relationship due to politics. Politics is an intertesting function in our society but it'll be a cold day in Hell before
    I let it rule my life like many of the DUmmies do.

And the Mental Health and Astrology sections are just pure Gold on DU. It's like shooting fish in a barrel...

:D Enjoy your stay here Elspeth, DU's loss is CU's gain.
    Hey Sarasota,

If I did those hug things, you'd be getting one. As I don't, I salute you instead. :)

Thank you for this post. And your last sentence is a gem!
    You're very welcomed :D
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Vepr
    I got banned in 2004 after being a long time member. They knew I was somewhat conservative especially on fiscal issues and the 2nd amendment but seemed to tolerate it until I suggested that they sky was not falling after the elections. Insta-ban because they were in full melt down, Bush will have us all in concentration camps mode and did not want to hear that not much was going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    I got banned in 2004 after being a long time member. They knew I was somewhat conservative especially on fiscal issues and the 2nd amendment but seemed to tolerate it until I suggested that they sky was not falling after the elections. Insta-ban because they were in full melt down, Bush will have us all in concentration camps mode and did not want to hear that not much was going to change.
    It's true that you have to buy in to the mass psychosis over there. It really has turned into a hate site. The sad thing is it could have done a lot of good. There were some very bright people (at one time) discussing very important political issues.

Now, it is just a giant daycare center with incompetent nannies at the helm. The best and the brightest have left, with a few exceptions, like Plaid Adder. The rest of the remaining DU posters are the most ignorant and most excitable of the lot. And the mods seem to have given them carte blanche to feed their own terror fantasies and to label any mild disagreement as a form of "racism" or betrayal to the Democratic party, the nation, or world peace.

By the way, there is a site called Progressive Independent which Lerkfish belonged to. Lerkfish put up a list in PI which targeted a bunch of intelligent and well reasoned Hillary Clinton supporters. One by one, that list of people has been shrinking as long-time posters are being tombstoned. (Progressive Independent, BTW, is a very anti-Israel site.) I don't know what the connection is as Lerkfish often complained about DU himself, but his list seems to have a lot in common with that of the DU mods.

Well, I always post under my own name. I see no reason for sock puppets.

The place is pretty dull now, anyway, except for the loonies. The really thoughtful people have all left. A lot of them were Clinton supporters but a lot of them just got sick and tired of the gang tactics over there. It was like being jumped in an alley every time you went over there.
    I find it yet funny. The looney Melanie (aka The1one) posted here plenty of times and yet not banned.
    BOWZER LIVES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoshMasterD View Post
    I find it yet funny. The looney Melanie (aka The1one) posted here plenty of times and yet not banned.
    Well if you want looney...

http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6393375

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Hello Elspeth. Welcome.

I used to post at DU. I didn't get kicked out but just left in disgust at what was going on (and that was well before the war between the the Hillary Supporters and the followers of the Messiah). The screeds became too numerous and shrill.

I've been following, and being involved in, politics since the Carter years. I've never seen the level of visceral hatred and nastiness exhibited by the followers of Obama. Any challenge to the magic thinking is jumped on and stomped immediately. It is ugly and unfortunate, and ultimately unnecessary as well as counterproductive to their own cause.

I'm not trying to lay the blame for this behavior at Obama's feet, but am saying that there is a disturbing quality to the responses of some of his followers. It sounds like your voice of reason was drowned out in the din of a madhouse.

Sorry that happened to you.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Elspeth, welcome home to CU.

It's good to see you here.