Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Why is Alexa female? 
    link

The perpetually aggrieved left will find something to complain about and feel offended about everything.

And if Alexa were "Alex" with a male voice they'd be mad and offended that it wasn't a female voice.

But since it's not.....

pnwmom (88,452 posts) Why is Alexa female?

Last edited Mon Feb 12, 2018, 03:33 PM - Edit history (3)
    I don't have one, but a visiting family member did. And everyone was calling this round box "she" and "her."

Why did the company not make a male robot? Why did it have to give it any gender at all?

This isn't France. We don't assign genders to objects in English. So why make the exception here? And if we were going to, why don't they sell both Alex's and Alexa's? Or give it a gender neutral name, like Taylor or Morgan?

Someone pointed out that this started with Siri. To western ears, the name Siri doesn't sound female or male, but the designers chose to give it a female voice. Why not a male version?

ON UPDATE: I just found this piece from October:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40476927...e-to-be-female

You’ve got male: Google finally realizes that voice assistants don’t have to be female

In a world full of aggravations, one of the more subtly frustrating grievances is that every single smart device has a female digital assistant. Apple has Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana is voiced by a woman, and Alexa skews female, too. Google’s Assistant defaults to a woman’s voice as well, but they have just (finally) added a male version. According to Android Police, Google has gifted the robotic voice with the genderless title of “Voice II,” because gender is a construct and anyone or any gender or no gender can order your groceries from Walmart. To switch to the new voice, select settings on your phone Assistant or the Google Home app and then find your preferred voice option in preferences, under “assistant voice.”

Apple added the ability for Siri to use a male voice with the iOS 7 update. To activate, simply go to General Settings, find Siri’s settings, and then tap the option for Voice Gender. Or ask Siri if it’s a man or a woman and it will give you the option to change. Cortana can change, too, if you dig into the settings, and Alexa is available as a male, but currently only for English speakers.

As for why the assistants all default to female, according to two studies recently cited by The Wall Street Journal, men and women prefer a female voice assistant because they believe it’s more welcoming and understanding. It probably helps that they only have to pay them 80 cents for every dollar they pay the male one.
    greymattermom (3,520 posts)

1. Females are supposed to serve you

get up and get your beers, etc.
    3catwoman3 (9,587 posts)

3. Perhaps because a certain percentage...

...of men love being able to order women around?

Why is Siri female?
    spanone (101,577 posts)

26. you can change siri's gender!
    NCTraveler (25,907 posts)

6. I'm sure there are many reasons.

An attempt to give it personality. More human sounding voices seems to be a current trend. A connection between owner and product.

They are adding things into her voice as it updates. You can now give is accents, have it whisper, and change the tone of the voice. I'm sure giving it a male voice is around the corner.
    eShirl (15,438 posts)

18. female voice cuts through ambient noise better than male voice
    PatentlyDemocratic (44 posts)

20. Why not female?

If they defaulted to a male voice, we’d probably have a thread complaining “why not a female?”
    pnwmom (88,452 posts)

22. Why not male or female? Why not gender neutral? It's a machine, not a person. n/t
    ehrnst (11,046 posts)

88. When you want obedient....

make it female.

Perhaps they wanted to irritate morons.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I remember in college they told us that Fire Alarms that speak to you are always female because supposedly the general public listens to women telling you to get out of a burning building more than they'd listen to a man.

spanone (101,577 posts)

26. you can change siri's gender!
    brilliant! be the first on your block to have a transgendered phone.
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

pnwmom (88,452 posts) Why is Alexa female?

Last edited Mon Feb 12, 2018, 03:33 PM - Edit history (3)
    I don't have one, but a visiting family member did. And everyone was calling this round box "she" and "her."

Why did the company not make a male robot? Why did it have to give it any gender at all?
    Good question! Jeff Bezos is a Prog like you, pnwmom. Why don't you Google it (they're Progs, too!).
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    They should have made it flat on top so you could set a beer on it.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

All you need to know about the left is contained in my signature.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

Two reasons:

1. Nobody but a Gay dude wants to take direction from a masculine dude, and actually not even a lot of them.

2. Nobody at all wants to take direction from Pajama Boi.

Power CUer
    Because the Star Trek computer had a female voice?

(That's it: let's blame Gene Rodenberry!)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Two reasons:

1. Nobody but a Gay dude wants to take direction from a masculine dude, and actually not even a lot of them.

2. Nobody at all wants to take direction from Pajama Boi.
    Hmm. But how about for females? I might like a sexy male voice telling me where the nearest Circle K is.