Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OMG, what don't they bitch about?

ehrnst (11,046 posts)

88. When you want obedient....

make it female.
    Alexa is commanding the listener, Elmer - IOW, you obey her and I think she should now order you to stfu.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by teresa margaret View Post
    Alexa is commanding the listener, Elmer - IOW, you obey her and I think she should now order you to stfu.
    Scary when your computer commands you. Less scary with a female voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Hmm. But how about for females? I might like a sexy male voice telling me where the nearest Circle K is.
    Sounds like you've been brainwashed by the evil straight White male Patriarchy. Alternatively, it was designed by men who've been in protracted relationships with women, so they knew anything said in a male voice would be automatically ignored.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Dummies bitchin about stupid stuff??
    Bidness as usual.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I think Alexa should be Sha-lex-i-ana: 'Say wat? Girl, why you wanna be buying dat. Axe me again. mmmm hmmmm.'

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Sounds like you've been brainwashed by the evil straight White male Patriarchy.
    What can I say? I like my men to be men.

Alternatively, it was designed by men who've been in protracted relationships with women, so they knew anything said in a male voice would be automatically ignored.
    Men have got to practice their vocal delivery.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by greatagain View Post
    I think Alexa should be Sha-lex-i-ana: 'Say wat? Girl, why you wanna be buying dat. Axe me again. mmmm hmmmm.'
    I'd end up throwing the phone off a bridge.

North of New Orleans, but still on the coast
    I bought a Kindle this year, I like to read and my wife and I already have way too many books. This is a Fire, 2017 model, and it has Alexa installed. Alexa was on by default, and at first I thought she was pretty neat. Then I noticed things started to happen on my computer, namely ads when I was surfing to sites that use the popup variety. The ads contained items that my wife and I talked about. I had read of this happening with Alexa turned on, she's always listening. Then, a couple times when the TV was on, I'd hear her respond to questions from the TV, especially if the name "Alexa" was mentioned. Needless to say I turned her off, and the ads I was seeing when I surf have stopped.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    I bought a Kindle this year, I like to read and my wife and I already have way too many books. This is a Fire, 2017 model, and it has Alexa installed. Alexa was on by default, and at first I thought she was pretty neat. Then I noticed things started to happen on my computer, namely ads when I was surfing to sites that use the popup variety. The ads contained items that my wife and I talked about. I had read of this happening with Alexa turned on, she's always listening. Then, a couple times when the TV was on, I'd hear her respond to questions from the TV, especially if the name "Alexa" was mentioned. Needless to say I turned her off, and the ads I was seeing when I surf have stopped.
    Hmmmm... but is she really off...........
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

North of New Orleans, but still on the coast
    Probably not. Google is as bad or worse than microcrap when it comes to spying. I bet she records to the cloud, all our conversations. As a precaution I do turn the tablet completely off. That requires holding the power switch down for about 20 seconds, and then a pain in the ass long boot up time.