Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Urgent: House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    House Democrats responded to President's Bush's call for Congress to lift the moratorium on offshore drilling. This was at an on-camera press conference fed back live. Among other things, the Democrats called for the government to own refineries so it could better control the flow of the oil supply. They also reasserted that the reason the Appropriations Committee markup (where the vote on the amendment to lift the ban) was cancelled so they could focus on preparing the supplemental Iraq spending bill for tomorrow. At an off-camera briefing, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said the same. And a senior...

http://www.foxnews.com/urgent_queue/...f44,2008-06-18

Banned
    How many people here think that might be a good idea (I don't btw)? However, some recent threads make me suspect that conservatives, when capitalism bites them in the ass, react just like liberals and cry for "Mother Government."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    How many people here think that might be a good idea (I don't btw)? However, some recent threads make me suspect that conservatives, when capitalism bites them in the ass, react just like liberals and cry for "Mother Government."
    Conservatives hate capitalism. Sure, most aren't going to call for outright nationalization of an industry, but they sure love using government to give their pet companies any advantage possible.

Free markets are scary.

Don't be confused Government,This government especially,couldn't run a house of ill repute without outside help.Government should keep the hell out of the way of business,all they ever do is tax it regulate it and try to destroy it .

Politicians are natural 'busybodies' who meddle in all things and 'Muck' them up and really never improve anything.
    They ,the liberals,feel a need to take from business and give to their supporters creating first an atmosphere of class envy and the justification for their meddling with Business.
    The liberal mantra is 'Big Oil' is taking our money due to high gasoline prices while they and their lackeys all invest in big oil's stocks !
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-18-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    Conservatives hate capitalism. Sure, most aren't going to call for outright nationalization of an industry, but they sure love using government to give their pet companies any advantage possible.

Free markets are scary.
    Beats the hell out of the alternative don't you think ?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Fucking stupid idea.

Banned

Free markets are scary.
    See this thread and tell me that half the posters aren't implicitly advocating nationalization of the oil industry.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Beats the hell out of the alternative don't you think ?
    Sure, but I think governments are way scarier than a completely free market.

See this thread and tell me that half the posters aren't implicitly advocating nationalization of the oil industry.
    Okay, maybe "most" was a bit optimistic. That's what I get for trying to me nice for a change.

Sure, but I think governments are way scarier than a completely free market.

Okay, maybe "most" was a bit optimistic. That's what I get for trying to me nice for a change.
    And I agree with you !

Goldwater
    As Milton Friedman said, "Corporations love the free market when they're doing well, they love government when something goes wrong."

It takes conservatives and capitalists with balls to be staunch free marketers in the face of both scenarios.