Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Part I The Ruse
    IMO the whole tariff thing us a ruse. I listen to Trump very carefully. The point he makes od "Fair Trade, not Free Trade".
    We have about an $800B annual trade imbalance. This is really bad news and not only are we losing the jobs but we are losing money to boot.
    Your farm is across the street from mine. I raise corn, you raise oats. I buy your oats, but you tax me to sell you corn and I lose $800 bucks a year. To make it worse you are now growing corn and selling your corn to me at less than I can harvest it for...take a special kind of stupid to believe this is a FAIR deal.

What Trump's goal is the its neither a steel or Alum issue it a imbalance issue of dollars.

How about you remove your tax on the stuff I sell you and let us try to get a fair balance of payments

Part II Ball bearings and Morphine
    Simply put its a question of National Defense. While I think the chances of a ground war on a WWII scale are extremely small we can exponentially increase our chances of a WWII war by not having a military industrial complex that cannot rise to the occasion. To fight a war, even a limited one you must have ball bearings and morphine...in fact it's the 2 things we look for if we think a country has war on its mind. We don't just need the tools of war, but we MUST have the ability to make the tools. Study why wars are lost and how they are won...logistics!
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Cowboy View Post
    We don't just need the tools of war, but we MUST have the ability to make the tools. Study why wars are lost and how they are won...logistics!
    Yep. Supply-chains. That'll always be a weakness which Russia, for example, will have if they stand against us.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    Yep. Supply-chains. That'll always be a weakness which Russia, for example, will have if they stand against us.
    Had the South had a good supply chain they would have won the Civil War, the Germans lost because of it and their command and control methodology. With out beans and bullets you cannot win.

I can remember getting letters from home in Vietnam the day after they were mailed and it was NOT easy to get letters to me, we only say 1 or 2 choppers a day unless we were getting fire support.
    Don
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Cowboy View Post
    I can remember getting letters from home in Vietnam the day after they were mailed and it was NOT easy to get letters to me, we only say 1 or 2 choppers a day unless we were getting fire support.
    Thanks so much for your brave service Don ...

And glad you made it home!

American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC View Post
    Thanks so much for your brave service Don ...

And glad you made it home!
    There I was, standing on the tarmac in Cam Rah Bay, earlier that morning I had been on the DMZ making my morning report back to HQ, when he casually told me I needed to come in and get orders to go home. Finally I said as I was past the end of my tour.

Suddenly a booming voice over the loud speaker saying:

"Gentlemen that big orange bird you see landing is going to refuel and take you home" With that came the realization that 12+ mo of combat and I was still alive and still in one piece...I dropped to my knees and shed some tears. Then I hear a voice behind me saying, "leave the guy alone, look at him, what do you think he has been doing for the past 12 months." I stood up and that guy, a Sgt First Class said "solder, here take one of my shirts, lets just remove the name tag".
    Don
    Hill Country of Texas